Freedom of Speech

Parliamentary democratic deficits, lazy representatives, and trade deficits. Discuss all these issues here.
DodgeFB
Gifted Member
Political Stand:

RE: Freedom of Speech

Post by DodgeFB » Thu Dec 28, 2006 8:33 pm

I really don't understand why anyone would make the effort to join a board just to make everyone there mad. If I want to make someone mad I could throw beer cans in the neighbor's yard.Image
The opinions expressed are solely of the writer.

"You can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." - Immanuel Kant

Lad
Global Moderator
Political Stand:

Post by Lad » Thu Dec 28, 2006 9:04 pm

What is freedom of speech? Is it the ability to say anything one feels like? I would say that most people would say no. Yet we will all have a toleration zone of what we think is tolerable and what is not. It very often comes down to personal preference.

Is making jokes about people of either race, gender, religion, or beliefs wrong in public? I would suggest that making them down megaphone on the street would not be viewed the same as making them on a Comedy show that people pay to see. It may also be viewed different if that show was put on tv on the children's viewing times rather than adult times.

You can go through so many things and everyone will have different views.
Last edited by Lad on Thu Dec 28, 2006 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
War does not determine who is right, war determines who is left.

Romulus111VADT
Gifted Member
Political Stand:

Post by Romulus111VADT » Thu Dec 28, 2006 9:36 pm

What fires me up are the whiners that come on like, "I can say any damned thing I want to and you can't say anything to me about it". "You can arrest me or punish me in any way. But if you object to anything I say or do, I'll have you arrested for infringing on my rights".

:disapprove:

People like this, I'd love to send them to a country that will execute you for voicing any opinion other than what the government tells you you can say or think.

They're all- [attachment=78]

Lad
Global Moderator
Political Stand:

Post by Lad » Fri Dec 29, 2006 12:16 am

The government in the UK has made large infringements on freedom of speech. Some examples: demonstrating in the streets without permission (or near certain buildings in London), voicing opinions of one's religious beliefs or otherwise in sermons or simply in a public place (many examples of Christian leaders being criminalised for speaking out about what they believe to be immoral), meetings (e.g BNP making politically incorrect comments about muslims at a dinner conference), and the proposals in taking away the rights for jury trials and introducing private ones. I really fear that Britain has already lost in a couple of decades what centuries of slowly evolving principles made.

P.S The religion rule has been abided by in the post above. ;)
Last edited by Lad on Fri Dec 29, 2006 12:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

DodgeFB
Gifted Member
Political Stand:

Post by DodgeFB » Fri Dec 29, 2006 12:41 am

[quote=Lad]
The government in the UK has made large infringements on freedom of speech. Some examples: demonstrating in the streets without permission (or near certain buildings in London), voicing opinions of one's religious beliefs or otherwise in sermons or simply in a public place (many examples of Christian leaders being criminalised for speaking out about what they believe to be immoral), meetings (e.g BNP making politically incorrect comments about muslims at a dinner conference), and the proposals in taking away the rights for jury trials and introducing private ones. I really fear that Britain has already lost in a couple of decades what centuries of slowly evolving principles made.

P.S The religion rule has been abided by in the post above. ;)
[/quote]
Sorry to hear this Lad. :sad: What do you think brought all this about?

appleton
Technical Administrator
Political Stand: Liberal

Post by appleton » Fri Dec 29, 2006 1:37 am

Dodge, I think it is a series of events.. 7/7, the almost august bombings this year. The BNP sharing their twisted view and some extremists calling for those that insult their religion to be beheaded.

The BNP crackpot had it coming some time. I am not just talking about the muslim incident either.

I agree that freedoms are slowly eroding away (or seem to be that's for sure). However I cannot and will not say the BNP and NF have a right to stir hatred in this country. They have done it before and continue doing so. Just viewing the NF website made me feel sick. We have a lot of extremists in this country now. Highlighted by the 7/7 bombings and the beatings the BNP skinheads give anyone "ethnic" walking around Waltham Cross at night.

Hearing one of the speeches Nick Griffin and his other followers were discussing about the removal of ethnics really sickened me. I think it was on panorama or something. They went into a BNP pub and what they were talking about is too offensive for me to type.

My thoughts... Yes our freedoms are eroding. I'm expecting more of the same under Gordon Brown but it will erode slowly.

Another edit to include my reply to Lad's post above.
What is freedom of speech? Is it the ability to say anything one feels like? I would say that most people would say no. Yet we will all have a toleration zone of what we think is tolerable and what is not. It very often comes down to personal preference.

Is making jokes about people of either race, gender, religion, or beliefs wrong in public? I would suggest that making them down megaphone on the street would not be viewed the same as making them on a Comedy show that people pay to see. It may also be viewed different if that show was put on tv on the children's viewing times rather than adult times.

You can go through so many things and everyone will have different views.
Indeed it is personal preference. Once again this is another area where if you ask different people the results will vary on what is and isn't too far. Nobody is the same as we know only too well this is how disagreements happen and it's hard to define free speech because what one person calls free speech another can call plain offensive.
Last edited by appleton on Fri Dec 29, 2006 1:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence, are usually the slaves of some defunct economist. Madmen in authority, who hear voices in the air, are distilling their frenzy from some academic scribbler of a few years back" - John Maynard Keynes

DodgeFB
Gifted Member
Political Stand:

Post by DodgeFB » Fri Dec 29, 2006 2:22 am

I know how 9-11 changed the world here. And I am sad to say the bad guys are still winning. We have had swat bring a robot and blow up things like a unattended projector in a case. A couple of weeks ago swat blew up a bag of cookies left on a desk. I feel that every time something like that happens the bad guys have won again. :sad:

Lad
Global Moderator
Political Stand:

Post by Lad » Fri Dec 29, 2006 11:52 am

Everything is becomming more and more restricted in this country to what the majority think. Privacy is being removed with the government wanting to know everyone's details, where everyone is and what they believe at every place and moment in time. I feel that is like a crushing of freedom of speech.

Romulus111VADT
Gifted Member
Political Stand:

Post by Romulus111VADT » Fri Dec 29, 2006 12:42 pm

Like with any right, if you abuse it, you'll lose it. Just as when the drinking age was lowered to 18 back in the 70's. Now most states have raised it back to 21 because the kids were abusing the right and not only killing themselves, but others.

Myself, I figure that if a foreigner moves to a country. He/she must learn the customs and language of the country that they freely moved to and if they don't like the way the country governs itself. Then they are free to move back to the country they left. [attachment=80]
Last edited by Romulus111VADT on Fri Dec 29, 2006 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lad
Global Moderator
Political Stand:

Post by Lad » Fri Dec 29, 2006 10:40 pm

Here, here. ;) If only us Brits wern't in the EU.

We get hundreds of thousands of immigrants every year. Some of them are ok - the Polish immigrants for example are very hard working and many businesses are keen to have them. At least up here they have established a good reputation. There are lots of others though that come in and feed off us. :(
Last edited by Lad on Fri Dec 29, 2006 10:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.