Smoking in public places

Parliamentary democratic deficits, lazy representatives, and trade deficits. Discuss all these issues here.
appleton
Technical Administrator
Political Stand: Liberal

Smoking in public places

Post by appleton » Thu Feb 14, 2008 4:17 pm

I feel strongly on this issue.

I work in a inn and started there the month the smoking ban came into effect. From colleagues who where there they tell me it was smoky and generally disgusting (especially for the ones that didn't smoke)

Does anyone frequent pubs etc regularly? If so do you prefer life after the ban or before it? I know a few people at my work who just want to spark up anywhere and they say this limits their civil rights.
"Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence, are usually the slaves of some defunct economist. Madmen in authority, who hear voices in the air, are distilling their frenzy from some academic scribbler of a few years back" - John Maynard Keynes

Romulus111VADT
Gifted Member
Political Stand:

RE: Smoking in public places

Post by Romulus111VADT » Thu Feb 14, 2008 8:27 pm

Well, I am a smoker and I'm trying to give up the habit.

Ok, that said, I have always tried to be courteous to non-smokers. I normally will not smoke in any restaurant even if I'm sitting the the smoking section. I've always felt odd smoking in public places. I will smoke outside, but not inside in public areas.

Now, this respect for others carries over even into my home. Both my wife and I smoke, but if someone comes over to visit and is a non-smoker, we normally go outside our home to be courteous. My grandmother, (God love her) lived with a smoker for 47 years. All of her children smoked at one point or another (all have quit save one). She always allowed people to smoke in her home. But out of love and respect for her, I again always went outside. I do the same for my mom, aunts, son and anyone that doesn't like the smell of the nasty cigarettes.

Lad
Global Moderator
Political Stand:

Post by Lad » Thu Feb 14, 2008 9:26 pm

Smoking kills. It kills you for inhaling it and those around you when you exhale it. It's a solemn thing, but non-smokers in a home full of cigarette smoke are takign enough of the poison as if they were smoking themselves. People die early in the UK every year from the effects from passive smoking. No-one can agree on figures. They range from 700- 10,000, so it isn't worth quoting figures. One thing they do agree on, you don't need to smoke to die from the effects of it.

I propose a contraversial question, by implication.
War does not determine who is right, war determines who is left.

philbell
Political Stand:

Post by philbell » Fri Feb 15, 2008 11:01 pm

I smoke and also go out round town a lot. I find that I smoke considerably less when I am out than I used to and it really doesn't bother me anymore. I used to take 40 cigs out with me on a Saturday night blow out, but now take 20 out and come home with most of them!! I have found that there is a bit of a bonus for smokers in that when you go outside on a rotten night you tend to have a bit of a chat to the other 'outcasts' and have made quite a few friends because of it. I am aiming for another go at giving up soon and I think the current rules definitely help.

If you had asked me last June and I would have been livid and totally opposed but now I think it was the right thing to do.

anildewani
Political Stand:

Post by anildewani » Thu Jan 29, 2009 8:44 pm

Well. Banning smoking in public areas is the best action !! Many people dont smoke and i m sure they dont even like inhaling the smoke :P Smoking in public places should be banned also because it may cause some accidental damage, and the public would need to suffer. Smoking at public places makes the place feel unhealthy and disturbs the total environment. I would be glad to hear a smoking ban in public areas.

khassa
Political Stand:

Post by khassa » Fri Jan 30, 2009 7:53 am

I think government should take some serious action against these kind of people....I also do smoke but i never smoke in public places....Well a serious action against such people can change the scenario of the system......

ford007
Political Stand:

Post by ford007 » Sat Jan 31, 2009 2:43 pm

No one should smoke in public places. If they want to smoke, then they can do it at their home or at Pubs which especially caters to smokers. Passive smoking is one of the biggest health care issues world is facing now.
Enough of (ZA)Nu Labor. BNP is the only real alternative.

Niall_İsxaqov
Political Stand:

Post by Niall_İsxaqov » Sun Feb 01, 2009 1:41 pm

I have seen people smoking even on public transport. This sort of behaviour irritates other people who happens to be with smokers. If they want lung cancer, then let them alone have it. Why should they share the magic to others?
Holy Russia will save the world

dmtalk
Political Stand:

Post by dmtalk » Thu Feb 12, 2009 6:59 pm

Smoking is very harmful for our life, it leads to many infections and diseases and leads to cancer as well. As it is proved by doctors, the person who smokes is not only affected, the people who are in the surrounding of that person, they are the ones most affected due to the smoke of it. I think smoking should be banned in public places as there are families and also children and due to many people smoking, the children get bad influence and they start smoking as well then.

appleton
Technical Administrator
Political Stand: Liberal

Post by appleton » Sat Feb 14, 2009 5:13 pm

[quote=Niall_İsxaqov]
I have seen people smoking even on public transport. This sort of behaviour irritates other people who happens to be with smokers. If they want lung cancer, then let them alone have it. Why should they share the magic to others?
[/quote]

This is occurring more frequently in the UK. Real pain. It shows how selfish society is.
"Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence, are usually the slaves of some defunct economist. Madmen in authority, who hear voices in the air, are distilling their frenzy from some academic scribbler of a few years back" - John Maynard Keynes