Political Correctness

Parliamentary democratic deficits, lazy representatives, and trade deficits. Discuss all these issues here.
philbell
Political Stand:

Political Correctness

Post by philbell » Sat Feb 23, 2008 2:06 am

Sorry if this turns up in the wrong section but it harWhat d to post where you want stuff.

do people think about all this political correctness stuff? It really pisses me off that I am expected to treat certain people in a different way because they are in a minority, though they can treat me like scum as I am in a majority!! In my view you treat a person how they treat you, regardless of race, creed or colour.

How was calling a blackboard a blackboard instead of a chalkboard ever offensive?? If it was a negroboard or something then fair enough but blackboard!! That is just paranoia. Most schools now have whiteboards, am I offended? Am I hell!!

This may be a bit more close to the bone, but what is the problem with saying Paki? It is the 1st 4 letters of Pakistani. I am British and take no offence to being called a Brit (1st 4 letters again) What is the difference? Or maybe I should be up in arms about it and sue all the papers for labelling me for what I am.

My job meant I had to travel all over the country and at times it was a bit of an eye opener as to how people were treated. Eg in Burnley parts of the town were overtaken by immigrants, which should not be a problem, but the original locals were forced to move out due to racial harassment. When complaints were made, they were made out to be in the wrong because they were being intolerant etc….. There is a big problem with racism in certain sectors but a lot of it comes from the so called minorities!

I work with many disadvantaged (or disabled) people, they are brilliant people in their own right and are embarrassed by the law at times as they feel responsible because ‘able bodied’ people are no longer allowed to go on certain activities as they themselves cannot participate!!

In many cases all the PC brigade does, while trying to integrate people into society, is make them feel more of a burden and holding the rest back.

It is about time someone listened to the majority for a change.

Romulus111VADT
Gifted Member
Political Stand:

RE: Political Correctness

Post by Romulus111VADT » Sat Feb 23, 2008 12:27 pm

I think politically correct is a load a crap.

All I can say is look at the groups of people that cry PC and you'll see the problem.

Lad
Global Moderator
Political Stand:

Post by Lad » Mon Feb 25, 2008 8:52 am

Being politically correct of course is different to being polite. There is a great difference. The PC brigade would marr this difference. Not saying something perfectly legitimate so as not to (presumptiously) offend others seems to me ultra sensitive. The example you gave about the blackboard is good. I know they stopped singing Ba Ba Black sheep in nursery and stuff like that for the same reasons. I remember being there and at that age I never even knew about racism. If you let very young children together they get on and play no matter what their background. It's the adults that squabble.

There is a place for being politically correct. If you are trying to negotiate peace in a war you do your best to be as PC as possible!!! ;)
War does not determine who is right, war determines who is left.

Dom
Political Stand:

Post by Dom » Mon Feb 25, 2008 12:24 pm

In my eyes political correctness is just politeness gone overboard. I'm polite, and I treat everyone the same, because that's how I've been brought up. Being an adult now, I can decide for myself how to behave, and I still believe that I should treat people how I myself would like to be treated.

I don't need to be told not to offend someone as I go out of my way to be polite anyway, so personally I take offence when people cry bloody murder if I say something that might offend them. Sure, if I say something that offends someone, I like to know about it so I can avoid doing it in the future. But when other people don't do the same, then why should I care?

I like the blackboard analogy as well. I've always called it a blackboard because that's what it is. My intention is not to offend someone when I use the term, and people should understand that. But the worst thing is, people do understand that, but they often kick up a fuss anyway, simply because they can.

I've never been offended if I hear someone say whiteboard, or call me a Brit. And why should I be? I am a Brit, and it is a whiteboard. So I think it's ridiculous that people get offended when they hear others referring to inanimate objects by their proper name, simply because it describes the objects colour in a way that can be compared to someone's skin.

Ludicrous.

Lad
Global Moderator
Political Stand:

Post by Lad » Tue Feb 26, 2008 2:03 pm

The amazing thing is the people that moan about it most aren't the group of people that it is there to protect; it's just academic nuts. How many times every Christmas do I hear company's quitting sending Xmas greetings/ incase someone from another religion gets offended? Every year this sort of trash is sent down from the top positions to the shop floor worker. It's happy holidays. I have NEVER ever heard of a single muslim/hindu,buddhist or whatever that got offended. Quite the opposite, many keep it because they want to fit in.

I think one of the most crazy stories I heard was about removing pig story's in schools incase they were offensive. My childhood wouldn't have been the same without the Three Little Pigs and the big Bad wolf. lol
Last edited by Lad on Tue Feb 26, 2008 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
War does not determine who is right, war determines who is left.

blackwolf
Political Stand:

Post by blackwolf » Sun Feb 22, 2009 5:38 pm

The only problem with your thinking is that it's based on "us" and "them". And, there is no such thing as a permanent majority.[/font]

[quote=philbell]
Sorry if this turns up in the wrong section but it harWhat d to post where you want stuff.

do people think about all this political correctness stuff? It really pisses me off that I am expected to treat certain people in a different way because they are in a minority, though they can treat me like scum as I am in a majority!! In my view you treat a person how they treat you, regardless of race, creed or colour.

How was calling a blackboard a blackboard instead of a chalkboard ever offensive?? If it was a negroboard or something then fair enough but blackboard!! That is just paranoia. Most schools now have whiteboards, am I offended? Am I hell!!

This may be a bit more close to the bone, but what is the problem with saying Paki? It is the 1st 4 letters of Pakistani. I am British and take no offence to being called a Brit (1st 4 letters again) What is the difference? Or maybe I should be up in arms about it and sue all the papers for labelling me for what I am.

My job meant I had to travel all over the country and at times it was a bit of an eye opener as to how people were treated. Eg in Burnley parts of the town were overtaken by immigrants, which should not be a problem, but the original locals were forced to move out due to racial harassment. When complaints were made, they were made out to be in the wrong because they were being intolerant etc….. There is a big problem with racism in certain sectors but a lot of it comes from the so called minorities!

I work with many disadvantaged (or disabled) people, they are brilliant people in their own right and are embarrassed by the law at times as they feel responsible because ‘able bodied’ people are no longer allowed to go on certain activities as they themselves cannot participate!!

In many cases all the PC brigade does, while trying to integrate people into society, is make them feel more of a burden and holding the rest back.

It is about time someone listened to the majority for a change.
[/quote]

Tommy
Political Stand:

Post by Tommy » Mon May 18, 2009 8:54 am

Barry took the occasion to express his “deep appreciation for the Islamic faith, which has done so much over the centuries to shape the world, including my own country.” Barack H. Obama’s biological father and stepfather were both Muslims.