Treatment of Prisoners

A forum for discussion about political events or events which caused major future political events.
DodgeFB
Gifted Member
Political Stand:

Treatment of Prisoners

Post by DodgeFB » Fri Sep 15, 2006 10:28 pm

Did anyone see the Bush/Congress spat going on about how to get prisoners to talk?:?
The opinions expressed are solely of the writer.

"You can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." - Immanuel Kant

Lad
Global Moderator
Political Stand:

RE: Treatment of Prisoners

Post by Lad » Fri Sep 15, 2006 11:48 pm

No I didn't. Any links?
War does not determine who is right, war determines who is left.

appleton
Technical Administrator
Political Stand: Liberal

Post by appleton » Fri Sep 15, 2006 11:55 pm

Nor did I. As Lad said above if you have any links please post them here so we can see this too :) .

Thanks
"Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence, are usually the slaves of some defunct economist. Madmen in authority, who hear voices in the air, are distilling their frenzy from some academic scribbler of a few years back" - John Maynard Keynes

DodgeFB
Gifted Member
Political Stand:

Post by DodgeFB » Fri Sep 15, 2006 11:56 pm

[quote=Lad]
No I didn't. Any links?
[/quote]

Try this:

Bush fights GOP revolt over terror bill

By TERENCE HUNT, AP White House Correspondent 1 hour, 38 minutes ago

WASHINGTON -
President Bush fought back Friday against a Republican revolt in the Senate over tough anti-terror legislation and rejected warnings that the United States had lost the high moral ground to adversaries. "It's flawed logic," he snapped.

Bush urged lawmakers to quickly approve legislation authorizing military tribunals and harsh interrogations of terror suspects in order to shield U.S. personnel from being prosecuted for war crimes under the Geneva Conventions, which set international standards for the treatment of prisoners of war.

Tough interrogations have been instrumental in preventing attacks against the United States, Bush said. "Time's running out" for the legislation, he warned, with Congress set to adjourn in a few weeks.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060915/ap_ ... wh/bush_20
Last edited by DodgeFB on Fri Sep 15, 2006 11:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lad
Global Moderator
Political Stand:

Post by Lad » Sat Sep 16, 2006 12:22 am

yeah these terror bills are contraversial all round. I think however that many are very important. The trouble is more laws are simply a denial of more hard-earned liberty. The facts are though that if a terrorist wants to kill he can kill and I think governments need to recognise this.

BTW - have we changed topics here?

DodgeFB
Gifted Member
Political Stand:

Post by DodgeFB » Sat Sep 16, 2006 12:29 am

[quote=Lad]
yeah these terror bills are contraversial all round. I think however that many are very important. The trouble is more laws are simply a denial of more hard-earned liberty. The facts are though that if a terrorist wants to kill he can kill and I think governments need to recognise this.

BTW - have we changed topics here?
[/quote]

I don't think we changed. That is what Bush is upset about. The congress will not let our "special" CIA dudes put the hurt on people to make them talk. And his own party will not back him. The Supreme Court said he had to stop doing what he has been doing unless congress changed the law.:shock::lol:

appleton
Technical Administrator
Political Stand: Liberal

Post by appleton » Sat Sep 16, 2006 12:36 am

I agree.. they are important laws but some are (well the ones here) a tad ridiculous. We should not be giving away all our freedom's (which the terrorists love to see). Another thing.. if a person really is brainwashed enough to blow up a plane and kill thousands of people nothing will get him to reveal everything he has been plotting.

I'm not all with U.S politics so I am not getting the point entirely.
"Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence, are usually the slaves of some defunct economist. Madmen in authority, who hear voices in the air, are distilling their frenzy from some academic scribbler of a few years back" - John Maynard Keynes

Lad
Global Moderator
Political Stand:

Post by Lad » Sat Sep 16, 2006 12:41 am

Like Matt, I'm in the UK and used to UK politics. Is Bush struggling to get the support for his reforms?

Lass
Global Moderator
Political Stand:

Post by Lass » Sat Sep 16, 2006 12:41 am

I heard on Five Live the other night, some American talking about the treatment of prisoners. He was of the opinion that the US hasn't changed at all in its practice, only in the way it puts things across (context was the torturing of prisoners). He's probably right too.
Above all, I would teach him to tell the truth ... Truth-telling, I have found, is the key to responsible citizenship. The thousands of criminals I have seen in 40 years of law enforcement have had one thing in common: Every single one was a liar. [JE Hoover]

DodgeFB
Gifted Member
Political Stand:

Post by DodgeFB » Sat Sep 16, 2006 12:47 am

[quote=matt]
I agree.. they are important laws but some are (well the ones here) a tad ridiculous. We should not be giving away all our freedom's (which the terrorists love to see). Another thing.. if a person really is brainwashed enough to blow up a plane and kill thousands of people nothing will get him to reveal everything he has been plotting.

I'm not all with U.S politics so I am not getting the point entirely.
[/quote]

It seems we have not been treating our war prisoners by the book. Some say we do things like put them on their back with plastic over their face. Then run water over them which makes them feel like they are drowning . And I guess some things we will never know for sure.

Our congress says if we start reading the rules "our way" it will cause the other side to read them "their" way. Which means they may take it out on any of our people they capture. :(
Last edited by DodgeFB on Sat Sep 16, 2006 12:48 am, edited 1 time in total.