Re:Dodge's post - prisoner treatment

A forum for discussion about political events or events which caused major future political events.
appleton
Technical Administrator
Political Stand: Liberal

RE: Re:Dodge's post - prisoner treatment

Post by appleton » Wed Oct 18, 2006 8:17 pm

You would be surprised what effect war has on a person. Seeing your friend blown up by a IED and then his remains having to be hosed of the pavement. Mentally on a solidgers mind, war is extremely tough. Although the signs that it is affecting them might not show for many years.

Matt
Last edited by appleton on Wed Oct 18, 2006 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence, are usually the slaves of some defunct economist. Madmen in authority, who hear voices in the air, are distilling their frenzy from some academic scribbler of a few years back" - John Maynard Keynes

Lad
Global Moderator
Political Stand:

Post by Lad » Thu Oct 19, 2006 6:56 pm

I think that is just it Matt. There is one thing when you hear of these things on TV. When you see your best mate for the last x number of years shattered to peices by a terrorist then when you get your hands on his comrades (remember these men are evil murderers) there is a temptation to treat them with contempt. However when the same person is treating you like dirt - which I'm convinced some of these wicked people would - then the provocation is there to humiliate them.
War does not determine who is right, war determines who is left.

Luke
Political Stand:

Post by Luke » Sat Oct 21, 2006 3:26 am

The provocation, but not the justification....
"I invented the Internet." - Al Gore

Lad
Global Moderator
Political Stand:

Post by Lad » Sat Oct 21, 2006 10:14 am

Yes, of course. There is no justification for crime. :)

DodgeFB
Gifted Member
Political Stand:

Post by DodgeFB » Sat Oct 21, 2006 4:56 pm

I think the us would have less problems with our guys going too far if we did not keep sending the same ones back. Too many of our people have been there twice and some of them were in Afghanistan first. When their time comes to come home we just tell them they must stay another 4 or 6 months. When their time comes to leave the military they will not get out if we still need them. So there may be some resentment coming from that direction too. If I signed up for X amount of time and that time passed and I was sent back another time I might have an attitude problem when under pressure.
The opinions expressed are solely of the writer.

"You can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." - Immanuel Kant

Lass
Global Moderator
Political Stand:

Post by Lass » Tue Oct 24, 2006 11:01 am

Hmmm, you're probably right about that. Would wear them down, keep being sent out. But I guess that if you go into the Forces, you're asking for it really. :?
Above all, I would teach him to tell the truth ... Truth-telling, I have found, is the key to responsible citizenship. The thousands of criminals I have seen in 40 years of law enforcement have had one thing in common: Every single one was a liar. [JE Hoover]

DodgeFB
Gifted Member
Political Stand:

RE: Dodge's post - prisoner treatment

Post by DodgeFB » Tue Oct 24, 2006 2:49 pm

[quote=Lass]
Hmmm, you're probably right about that. Would wear them down, keep being sent out. But I guess that if you go into the Forces, you're asking for it really. :?
[/quote]
True. But this is the first time we have ever treated so many of our people this way. And not just the regulars. Some of these people are from the National Guard. They usually have already pulled their time in the military. They have regular jobs and train a few days a year. The individual states are having a hard time when we have storms, earthquakes, and floods. Their National Guard as well as their equipment is gone to war.
And these people are losing homes, cars, and having trouble feeding their families.
It has to put you in a dark place to know your home is gone, your family has been put on welfare, and the car that was almost paid for has now been repossessed while you are getting shot at everyday. Many of these people had a contract when they went in of when they were coming out. And it is not worth the paper it was written on in many cases.

Lad
Global Moderator
Political Stand:

Post by Lad » Thu Oct 26, 2006 7:00 pm

Yeah we know several folks that have gone to Iraq/Afghanistan. I can think of about 6 people that I know of. Some of will have been out several times. Iraq is bad, but from what is reported it seems like Afgahnistan is getting much worse - worse than Iraq for troops.

DodgeFB
Gifted Member
Political Stand:

RE: Dodge's post - prisoner treatment

Post by DodgeFB » Thu Oct 26, 2006 7:34 pm

[quote=Lad]
Yeah we know several folks that have gone to Iraq/Afghanistan. I can think of about 6 people that I know of. Some of will have been out several times. Iraq is bad, but from what is reported it seems like Afgahnistan is getting much worse - worse than Iraq for troops.
[/quote]

Many lives are sure being changed (or lost) as this plays itself out. I wish something really good could be done for the people and their family's that are carrying the real burdens of the war/wars. I am beginning to think the US really should talk to any of the players other than al-Qaeda. Things just don't seem to be working out as they are.

Maybe I am just grasping at straws there.

appleton
Technical Administrator
Political Stand: Liberal

Post by appleton » Thu Oct 26, 2006 10:19 pm

I am beginning to think the US really should talk to any of the players other than al-Qaeda.
e
I think that should have been done a long time ago.. but there goes their motto. We will not communicate with terrorists.
"Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence, are usually the slaves of some defunct economist. Madmen in authority, who hear voices in the air, are distilling their frenzy from some academic scribbler of a few years back" - John Maynard Keynes