Bush signs Secure Fence Act

A forum for discussion about political events or events which caused major future political events.
Luke
Political Stand:

Bush signs Secure Fence Act

Post by Luke » Mon Oct 30, 2006 8:47 pm

Here it is at last, more fences. 700 miles of new fencing along the US/Mexico border were approved in this bill. The only news statements I could find were on Bush's and members of Congress' remarks, so I picked from the most original source I could find.

From www.whitehouse.gov:
President George W. Bush signs H.R. 6061, the Secure Fence Act of 2006, in the Roosevelt Room Thursday, Oct. 26, 2006.

9:34 A.M. EDT

THE PRESIDENT: Thank you all. Thanks. Please be seated. I'm pleased that you all are here to witness the signature of the Secure Fence Act of 2006. This bill will help protect the American people. This bill will make our borders more secure. It is an important step toward immigration reform.

I want to thank the members of Congress for their work on this important piece of legislation. I welcome you here to the White House. I'm looking forward to signing this bill.

I appreciate the fact that Senate Majority Leader Bill Frist has joined us, as well as House Majority Leader John Boehner. I appreciate them coming in from their respective states as I sign this piece of legislation. I want to thank Congressman Peter King, who's the Chairman of the Homeland Security Committee in the House of Representatives. I appreciate you being here, Peter.

Ours is a nation of immigrants. We're also a nation of law. Unfortunately, the United States has not been in complete control of its borders for decades and, therefore, illegal immigration has been on the rise. We have a responsibility to address these challenges. We have a responsibility to enforce our laws. We have a responsibility to secure our borders. We take this responsibility seriously.

Earlier this year, I addressed the nation from the Oval Office. I laid out our strategy for immigration reform. Part of that strategy begins with securing the border. Since I took office we have more than doubled funding for border security -- from $4.6 billion in 2001 to $10.4 billion this year. We've increased the number of Border Patrol agents from about 9,000 to more than 12,000, and by the end of 2008, we will have doubled the number of Border Patrol agents during my presidency.

We've deployed thousands of National Guard members to assist the Border Patrol. We've upgraded technology at our borders. We've added infrastructure, including new fencing and vehicle barriers. We're adding thousands of new beds in our detention facilities so we can continue working to end catch and release at our southern border. During the course of my administration we have apprehended and sent home more 6 million people entering our country illegally. And I thank the Border Patrol for their hard work.

The Secure Fence Act builds on this progress. The bill authorizes the construction of hundreds of miles of additional fencing along our southern border. The bill authorizes more vehicle barriers, checkpoints and lighting to help prevent people from entering our country illegally. The bill authorizes the Department of Homeland Security to increase the use of advanced technology, like cameras and satellites and unmanned aerial vehicles to reinforce our infrastructure at the border. We're modernizing the southern border of the United States so we can assure the American people we're doing our job of securing the border. By making wise use of physical barriers and deploying 21st century technology we're helping our Border Patrol agents do their job.

The Secure Fence Act is part of our efforts to reform our immigration system. We have more to do. Meaningful immigration reforms means that we must enforce our immigration laws in the United States. It is against the law to hire someone who is here illegally. We fully understand that most businesses want to obey that law, but they cannot verify the legal status of their employees because of widespread document fraud. So we're creating a better system for verifying documents and work eligibility, and in the meantime, holding people to account for breaking the law.

We must reduce pressure on our border by creating a temporary worker plan. Willing workers ought to be matched with willing employers to do jobs Americans are not doing for a temporary -- on a temporary basis.

We must face the reality that millions of illegal immigrants are already here. They should not be given an automatic path to citizenship; that is amnesty. I oppose amnesty. There is a rational middle ground between granting an automatic pass to citizenship for every illegal immigrant and a program of mass deportation. And I look forward to working with Congress to find that middle ground.

The bill I'm about to sign is an important step in our nation's efforts to secure our border and reform our immigration system. I thank the members of Congress for joining me as I sign the Secure Fence Act of 2006.

(The bill is signed.)

END 9:40 A.M. EDT
Sad that this became necessary. Personally I don't mind willing workers coming here from Mexico, if they're willing to go through the legalization process, attain our culture, our language, and contribute to society, not turn us into another low-economy, dumpy (for lack of a better word) culture. However, if the millions of illegal immigrants just want to leech off our government's welfare, Social Security, etc., I would just as well they stayed home.
Last edited by Luke on Mon Oct 30, 2006 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I invented the Internet." - Al Gore

Lad
Global Moderator
Political Stand:

RE: Bush signs Secure Fence Act

Post by Lad » Tue Oct 31, 2006 9:53 pm

I know Luke. We have a natural fence. A 40-80 mile stretch of water running around us and we still have trouble keeping hundreds of thousands of immigrants out every year. UNlike the US we have a crazy institution telling us what we should and aught to do. Unemployment is rising by thousands every month. Has anyone stopped to wonder why?

I hope the fence does its job. You'll find people will still get past it though.
War does not determine who is right, war determines who is left.

appleton
Technical Administrator
Political Stand: Liberal

Post by appleton » Wed Nov 01, 2006 9:51 am

[quote=Lad]
I know Luke. We have a natural fence. A 40-80 mile stretch of water running around us and we still have trouble keeping hundreds of thousands of immigrants out every year. UNlike the US we have a crazy institution telling us what we should and aught to do. Unemployment is rising by thousands every month. Has anyone stopped to wonder why?

I hope the fence does its job. You'll find people will still get past it though.
[/quote]

Have problems with northerners border hopping? 8-)

Sad it has to get like that indeed.
"Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence, are usually the slaves of some defunct economist. Madmen in authority, who hear voices in the air, are distilling their frenzy from some academic scribbler of a few years back" - John Maynard Keynes

Lad
Global Moderator
Political Stand:

Post by Lad » Thu Nov 02, 2006 10:22 pm

Not quite sure what you mean there Matt. However some very interesting news came out today.
Any idea what the US border crossing figures are Luke - because check the UK ones out! :o

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/6109230.stm

appleton
Technical Administrator
Political Stand: Liberal

Post by appleton » Thu Nov 02, 2006 10:30 pm

You mentioned scotland was separated from England didn't you? Or was it my eyes..

Was just thinking a lot of Yorkshire/Northumberland people (technical term for them :tongue: ) must hop over into Scotland.
"Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence, are usually the slaves of some defunct economist. Madmen in authority, who hear voices in the air, are distilling their frenzy from some academic scribbler of a few years back" - John Maynard Keynes

DodgeFB
Gifted Member
Political Stand:

Post by DodgeFB » Thu Nov 02, 2006 10:35 pm

The opinions expressed are solely of the writer.

"You can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." - Immanuel Kant

Lad
Global Moderator
Political Stand:

Post by Lad » Thu Nov 02, 2006 10:39 pm

Wow - that IS an awful lot. I didn't realise the problem was so bad.

DodgeFB
Gifted Member
Political Stand:

Post by DodgeFB » Thu Nov 02, 2006 10:42 pm

[quote=Lad]
Wow - that IS an awful lot. I didn't realise the problem was so bad.
[/quote]

If it is just half that many it is bad.

Lad
Global Moderator
Political Stand:

Post by Lad » Thu Nov 02, 2006 10:45 pm

Do remember the immigration is crucial to the sustaining of western/developed nations. Without them the economy would go into recession very quickly.

DodgeFB
Gifted Member
Political Stand:

Post by DodgeFB » Thu Nov 02, 2006 11:04 pm

I have heard that too. And have no problem with the ones who do it according to the law. But the ones that sneak in start out as lawbreakers. Some are already wanted in their other country. Since they are on the wrong side of the law they can only do things off the record. So they have no insurance, no drivers licence, and work for less than minimum wage. Which lowers wages here. They have no benefits. And live in buildings not suitable for animals. All of this sends some into a life of crime. Robbery, drugs, prostitution.

All we ask is they do it right.