Saddam sentenced to death

A forum for discussion about political events or events which caused major future political events.
Romulus111VADT
Gifted Member
Political Stand:

Saddam sentenced to death

Post by Romulus111VADT » Sun Nov 05, 2006 5:48 pm

All I can say is, "It's about time!" :exclamation:

I think hanging is to good for him. Hang him upside down by his cahonies and let the relatives of all the people he murdered beat him like a Piñata. :lol:

Inhuman- yes, but so is genocide.

Lad
Global Moderator
Political Stand:

RE: Saddam sentenced to death

Post by Lad » Mon Nov 06, 2006 3:42 pm

Sorry - didn't see your thread before I posted mine. I'll lock mine so we don't have two discussions and repost here.
War does not determine who is right, war determines who is left.

Lad
Global Moderator
Political Stand:

Post by Lad » Mon Nov 06, 2006 3:56 pm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/middle ... 118302.stm

So there are several tangents we can go out on. I am very glad to see someone who shed the blood of thousands be sent to face the noose.

The legal difficulty here is that Saddam actually probably hasn't killed anyone at all. He may have ordered hundreds of thousands to their deaths, but never actually directly killed someone. Like Hitler - who killed very few (if anyone). However in my opinion it does not make any difference and while the court only found him guilty of the killings of 148, it could probably find him easily guilty of 148,000 if it was prepared to take the time and money involved.

I personally think hanging is a bit dated, a very cold way to die. Probably the last big dictator to be executed would have been Nicolea and Elena Ceausescu the dictators of Romania and that was by firing squad. That was on Christmas day 1989. Interesting that it was the 5th November (Guy Fawkes night for the UK) that he was sentenced to death on.

It really made me think hearing the sound of big fireworks all yesterday how horrible it must be to live where those bangs aren't fireworks but bombs. Just some coincidence that while the whole of Britain is going up in a bang in celebration, the country of Iraq is going up in deadly smoke with its former leader being sentenced to death. A
Last edited by Lad on Mon Nov 06, 2006 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Luke
Political Stand:

Post by Luke » Wed Nov 08, 2006 5:35 am

Justice is finally served. What more can I say?
"I invented the Internet." - Al Gore

DodgeFB
Gifted Member
Political Stand:

Post by DodgeFB » Wed Nov 08, 2006 5:45 am

[quote=Lad]

So there are several tangents we can go out on. I am very glad to see someone who shed the blood of thousands be sent to face the noose.

The legal difficulty here is that Saddam actually probably hasn't killed anyone at all. He may have ordered hundreds of thousands to their deaths, but never actually directly killed someone. Like Hitler - who killed very few (if anyone). However in my opinion it does not make any difference and while the court only found him guilty of the killings of 148, it could probably find him easily guilty of 148,000 if it was prepared to take the time and money involved.

I personally think hanging is a bit dated, a very cold way to die. Probably the last big dictator to be executed would have been Nicolea and Elena Ceausescu the dictators of Romania and that was by firing squad. That was on Christmas day 1989. Interesting that it was the 5th November (Guy Fawkes night for the UK) that he was sentenced to death on.

It really made me think hearing the sound of big fireworks all yesterday how horrible it must be to live where those bangs aren't fireworks but bombs. Just some coincidence that while the whole of Britain is going up in a bang in celebration, the country of Iraq is going up in deadly smoke with its former leader being sentenced to death. A
[/quote]

I think he did really kill a couple of people. He was said to have killed a family member after they had just had some sort of family meal. I don't remember all the details. It was late 80s I believe.
The opinions expressed are solely of the writer.

"You can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." - Immanuel Kant

Lad
Global Moderator
Political Stand:

Post by Lad » Wed Nov 08, 2006 12:09 pm

Indeed. I was unaware of that.

Romulus111VADT
Gifted Member
Political Stand:

Post by Romulus111VADT » Wed Nov 08, 2006 4:53 pm

[quote=Lad]
The legal difficulty here is that Saddam actually probably hasn't killed anyone at all. He may have ordered hundreds of thousands to their deaths, but never actually directly killed someone. Like Hitler - who killed very few (if anyone). [/quote]

I'm sure Hitler would have used this defense. As far as I'm aware, he didn't personally kill anyone. He was careful not to even put anything into writing that would implicate him in any of the death orders. He would use words like, "the final solution" or other words to indicate a death sentence.

Fortunately, people aren't as stupid as he thought they were and it is all to evident that he had full knowledge of everything that went on.

But the world would have still condemned him. That's why he committed suicide. He was scared to death of being caught by the Russians and strung up like Mussolini.

Lad
Global Moderator
Political Stand:

Post by Lad » Wed Nov 08, 2006 5:17 pm

Lass has done history - she did about Hitler. I never understood why he cancelled his planned escape to Switzerland with his wife (they were married the day before they committed suicide!). I could also never figure out why Eva Braun killed herself as she was unheard of.

DodgeFB
Gifted Member
Political Stand:

Post by DodgeFB » Wed Nov 08, 2006 5:34 pm

[quote=Lad]
Lass has done history - she did about Hitler. I never understood why he cancelled his planned escape to Switzerland with his wife (they were married the day before they committed suicide!). I could also never figure out why Eva Braun killed herself as she was unheard of.
[/quote]
I really do believe that Hitler and Eva Braun loved each other. And he loved his dog. As to his hatred for Jews I once saw a documentary where they tried to explain it. It seems it was on the History Channel or Discovery. But I will not repeat it here since I don't remember the name of it. But it had to do with his mother.
Last edited by DodgeFB on Wed Nov 08, 2006 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The opinions expressed are solely of the writer.

"You can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." - Immanuel Kant

Lad
Global Moderator
Political Stand:

Post by Lad » Wed Nov 08, 2006 6:11 pm

It is possible for one of the world's most evil men to actually love a savage dog (that killed on command) or a woman - though one could easily argue it was abuse. Eva Braun was treated more like a sex-slave, yet entitled to the privlidges of wealth. Hitler thought that to love a woman would make him appear weak and he denied Eva the rights to appear anywhere near him anywhere in public and she was banished from his room when he had visitors. She must have loved him, but I do wonder how much it was actually in fear. Imagine it was you.

Hitler was anti-jewish, but he was anti-jewish because nearly all non-jewish Germans hated Jews too. There was nothing about Hitler that made him much different in that respect. During the war ordinary German people went to great lengths to get rid of Jews.