United Nations

Discuss issues that arise in todays world.

Moderators: Lass, Lad

DodgeFB
Gifted Member
Political Stand:

United Nations

Post by DodgeFB »

With all the trouble going on in the world is there more the United Nations should or could be doing?
Last edited by DodgeFB on Sat Sep 16, 2006 9:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
The opinions expressed are solely of the writer.

"You can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." - Immanuel Kant

appleton
Technical Administrator
Political Stand: Liberal

RE: United Nations

Post by appleton »

There is always more that can be done on this front... although the UN cannot do everything. For instance the UN wants to put troops into sudan to keep the peace and help out but the sudanese government does not want them in.

I would say there is a 50/50 on this. Yes, The UN can do more but they are restricted by what some governments say or do :( .

Matt
"Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence, are usually the slaves of some defunct economist. Madmen in authority, who hear voices in the air, are distilling their frenzy from some academic scribbler of a few years back" - John Maynard Keynes

DodgeFB
Gifted Member
Political Stand:

Post by DodgeFB »

[quote=matt]
There is always more that can be done on this front... although the UN cannot do everything. For instance the UN wants to put troops into sudan to keep the peace and help out but the sudanese government does not want them in.

I would say there is a 50/50 on this. Yes, The UN can do more but they are restricted by what some governments say or do :( .

Matt
[/quote]

I have mixed feelings about the UN. It seems they do pick their battles. I wish they just treated everyone fair. But what is fair?:?

Lad
Global Moderator
Political Stand:

Post by Lad »

The UN is hugely influences by the US. If the US allowed itself to be more influenced by the UN when it comes to war, I think things would be a lot better. Unfortunately Tony Blair has made things worse by following George Bush in supporting a war not exactly sanctioned by the UN.

The really sad thing is that because Iraq and Afghanistan were soley done by the US and UK, it makes a war that seems inevitable with Iran nearly impossible and this country really is a threat right now.
War does not determine who is right, war determines who is left.

DodgeFB
Gifted Member
Political Stand:

Post by DodgeFB »

[quote=Lad]
The UN is hugely influences by the US. If the US allowed itself to be more influenced by the UN when it comes to war, I think things would be a lot better. Unfortunately Tony Blair has made things worse by following George Bush in supporting a war not exactly sanctioned by the UN.

The really sad thing is that because Iraq and Afghanistan were soley done by the US and UK, it makes a war that seems inevitable with Iran nearly impossible and this country really is a threat right now.
[/quote]

I agree with you . Sometimes it seems that UK is the only real friend the US has. And sometimes I worry that "The George & Tony Show" may still go after Iran or North Korea. I think that Kim Jong-il is a scary little guy.
Last edited by DodgeFB on Wed Sep 20, 2006 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lad
Global Moderator
Political Stand:

Post by Lad »

I think North Korea will be ok for the foreseeable future. I am not too worried about them.

carita
Political Stand:

Post by carita »

I don't believe that there is much the UN can do actually. The UN can only do what is described in the Charter. Don't forget that the UN is just a political body created by states not a world government that can put its will upon others. The UN has a great deal of influence, but states remain sovereign, and will not allow the UN to interfere in all matters. Especially when it comes to internal matters

DodgeFB
Gifted Member
Political Stand:

Post by DodgeFB »

[quote=carita]
I don't believe that there is much the UN can do actually. The UN can only do what is described in the Charter. Don't forget that the UN is just a political body created by states not a world government that can put its will upon others. The UN has a great deal of influence, but states remain sovereign, and will not allow the UN to interfere in all matters. Especially when it comes to internal matters
[/quote]
True. But some countries don't want to do anything without UN approval. In my own personal opinion they have turned out to be almost useless. :?

Lad
Global Moderator
Political Stand:

Post by Lad »

It appears the UN is no more than a pressure body, but it seems to have more influence than may first appear. I think governments are very much concerned about the UN and how they appear before it.