Teenager describes killing nurse

Discuss issues that arise in todays world.

Moderators: Lass, Lad

appleton
Technical Administrator
Political Stand: Liberal

Teenager describes killing nurse

Post by appleton »

A teenager has told a jury he does not know why he stabbed a nurse to death.

Stuart Harling described ambushing Cheryl Moss, 33, as she took a break near woods behind St George's hospital, Hornchurch, east London, in April 2006.

"I remember stabbing her in the back while she was on the floor there," the trainee accountant told the jury. "It was like seeing a film."

Mr Harling, 19, from Rainham, admits the killing but denies murder on the grounds of diminished responsibility.

Crocodile Dundee

He spotted the nurse having a cigarette in some woods behind the hospital and waited until she finished speaking on her mobile phone.

Wearing a wig and carrying a Crocodile Dundee-style knife, Mr Harling then ran towards her.

Mr Harling said: "I thought I would try to get a glint of the sun on [the knife] so it was clearly seen.

"She noticed me and she said 'oh no'. I was still running. I started stabbing her in the back."

Mrs Moss, 33, who was stabbed 72 times, was already dead when she was found by her colleagues.

Mr Harling said he had been been trying to steal a car as part of a plot to overthrow an African government.

He said he had staked out the hospital car park and had planned to threaten the nurse to get her car keys.

The trial continues.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/6768867.stm

Clearly someone with mental issues. Scary what was running through his mind. Makes me think just what runs through a mentally ill persons mind.
"Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence, are usually the slaves of some defunct economist. Madmen in authority, who hear voices in the air, are distilling their frenzy from some academic scribbler of a few years back" - John Maynard Keynes

Lass
Global Moderator
Political Stand:

RE: Teenager describes killing nurse

Post by Lass »

'Like a film...' Without wanting to in any way excuse this murderer, I think violent films have a lot to answer for.
Above all, I would teach him to tell the truth ... Truth-telling, I have found, is the key to responsible citizenship. The thousands of criminals I have seen in 40 years of law enforcement have had one thing in common: Every single one was a liar. [JE Hoover]

Romulus111VADT
Gifted Member
Political Stand:

Post by Romulus111VADT »

They should execute him in the same manner he killed the nurse. Just more slowly so he can think about it and suffer excruciating pain as he dies.

Or better yet, if he wants to kill, send him to Iraq or Afghanistan. A one way ticket and tattoo on his forehead a derogatory comment about Muslims to get the ball rolling.

Lad
Global Moderator
Political Stand:

Post by Lad »

72 times, she must have been almost mincemeat after that. He should never ever be let out. Yuk. In someways it's best for the country if these people do deny murder on the grounds of diminshed responsibility as the judge has the power to confine him to a mental institution for the rest of his days.
War does not determine who is right, war determines who is left.

appleton
Technical Administrator

Post by appleton »

[quote=Lass]
'Like a film...' Without wanting to in any way excuse this murderer, I think violent films have a lot to answer for.
[/quote]

So do video games, so does society for allowing such disturbed evil people to live with the good un's. Tis life unfortunatly :(

It's disgusting. I agree with Rom. Dump such people in Iraq or execute them in the very same way they did to their victim.

I hate to think what could happen if he escaped from the mental institution.
"Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence, are usually the slaves of some defunct economist. Madmen in authority, who hear voices in the air, are distilling their frenzy from some academic scribbler of a few years back" - John Maynard Keynes

Lad
Global Moderator
Political Stand:

Post by Lad »

He's so screwed up inside that he can't possibly be enjoying life anyway and probably doesn't care if he dies. He is a constant danger to anyone he comes into contact with.

On the death penalty issue it is amazing how many prisoners serving life and who live in mental institutions for the most appalling crimes actually want to die.
War does not determine who is right, war determines who is left.

Lass
Global Moderator
Political Stand:

Post by Lass »

Prison/internment in a mental institution is by no means good enough. That's not justice. I don't think that his mental condition invalidates his crime; he did it and he would do it again. Intent & guilt proven, he should be punished by the appropriate penalty for murder - in my opinion, execution.

Reminds me, it was on the news yesterday that the problem with not enough prison spaces means that people are going to start getting out early. Can't remember the details.
Above all, I would teach him to tell the truth ... Truth-telling, I have found, is the key to responsible citizenship. The thousands of criminals I have seen in 40 years of law enforcement have had one thing in common: Every single one was a liar. [JE Hoover]

Romulus111VADT
Gifted Member
Political Stand:

Post by Romulus111VADT »

What has always baffled me about the criminal justice system in western societies is that people are more concerned with the rights and "Humane" treatment of criminals/murders. They seem to be totally uninterested in the rights and the "Inhumane" treatment of the victims.

I guess I believe in the "eye for an eye" brand of justice and that criminals should be treated/executed in the exact same manner as their victims were. I mean like if a woman was raped and beaten to death. The rapist/murder should be raped (a night stick would do nicely)and beaten to death, etc, etc.
Last edited by Romulus111VADT on Wed Jun 20, 2007 12:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

appleton
Technical Administrator

Post by appleton »

[quote=Romulus111VADT]
What has always baffled me about the criminal justice system in western societies is that people are more concerned with the rights and "Humane" treatment of criminals/murders. They seem to be totally uninterested in the rights and the "Inhumane" treatment of the victims.

I guess I believe in the "eye for an eye" brand of justice and that criminals should be treated/executed in the exact same manner as their victims were. I mean like if a woman was raped and beaten to death. The rapist/murder should be raped (a night stick would do nicely)and beaten to death, etc, etc.
[/quote]

Good post. Human rights are great when they are applied and used correctly. Like most things in life they aren't :(

Well, I agree a murderer should be executed for murders they have committed. Only thing that worries me are that some people may be executed or tortured when they didn't do anything (Thats when the "system fails" :( )

Romulus111VADT
Gifted Member
Political Stand:

Post by Romulus111VADT »