Teenager describes killing nurse

Discuss issues that arise in todays world.

Moderators: Lass, Lad

Lad
Global Moderator
Political Stand:

RE: Teenager describes killing nurse

Post by Lad »

We have had only a handful of these people in the UK. One of our most famous ones Ian Brady is in a mental hospital (he says he isn't mental and I think personally he is kept in their to prevent him speaking) and he desperately wants to be executed for his crimes. One of the most recent shock criminals Ian Huntlty who killed two little girls after snaring them into his home says he should be hanged. The weird thing is that the public are for execution, none of the government parties are.

I don't believe in eye for eye, I believe in justice. ;)
War does not determine who is right, war determines who is left.

Romulus111VADT
Gifted Member
Political Stand:

Post by Romulus111VADT »

Funny you should say that about "An eye for an eye" type justice. Up until about 100 years ago, most every nation dealt their justice in this very same way. Crime was no where near as bad as it has become since our modern way of dealing with criminals was instituted. People feared the law and tended to up hold the law instead of trying to find ways to bend it. Oh sure, there was and always will be criminals. But back then, they were few and far between.

Lad
Global Moderator
Political Stand:

Post by Lad »

That is very true. One modern day writer says that if the youth of today were living 200 years ago they would all be in prison or worse. Whether that is true or not is open to discussion, but what I do know is that those in the prisons today would be in their graves 200 years ago.

Romulus111VADT
Gifted Member
Political Stand:

Post by Romulus111VADT »

Well, one of the biggest things (if not the biggest) is the lack of religious disciplines in todays society. I know religious discussion in a no, no. So this is as far as I'll take this point.

Only about 40 years ago, when people openly taught about a higher power and that that power was always watching, even when the parents weren't around. Then children were more apt to behave and feared doing something wrong. They feared going to a bad place and being in torment. All this made for a much more subdued bunch of kids, teenagers and adults.

Murder was among the worst things you could do and it would guarantee a trip to eternal torment. In todays society killing is almost thought of as acceptable and the value of human life has gone so low that killing is looked on in some societies as a "Cool" thing to do.

I'm just glad that I'll not be around for much longer. You young people think it's bad now, look out, it's going to get so bad that todays insanity will look like the good old days to you when you get to my age.
Last edited by Romulus111VADT on Thu Jun 21, 2007 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lad
Global Moderator
Political Stand:

Post by Lad »

I agree with that 100%. I can't think of where I can go to in this world either that I could get away from all this. I just hope the current decline in society stops and begins to go into reverse. Somehow I can't see it happening. :(

appleton
Technical Administrator
Political Stand: Liberal

Post by appleton »

[quote=Lad]
I agree with that 100%. I can't think of where I can go to in this world either that I could get away from all this. I just hope the current decline in society stops and begins to go into reverse. Somehow I can't see it happening. :(
[/quote]

Unfortunatly that is very true. No where in the world is free from this these days. We just have to be strong and deal with it :icon_neutral:

I only see it as something that will get worse. The people who infulence others are up to no good those that get influenced easily by media and others follow on it's a neverending cycle :(
"Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence, are usually the slaves of some defunct economist. Madmen in authority, who hear voices in the air, are distilling their frenzy from some academic scribbler of a few years back" - John Maynard Keynes

Dom
Political Stand:

Post by Dom »

[quote=Lass]
...people are going to start getting out early...
[/quote]

"Starting" to get out early? That's been happening more and more since prisons were first introduced.

As for this other guy, well if he is mentally ill, then I'm not sure that treating him in the same way as he treated his victim is a such a good idea. I'm all for the "eye for an eye" treatment (mostly), but the point about mentally ill people is that some of them really dont know right from wrong, and killing them as a punishment is pointless, as they're not going to understand what it is they're being punished for.

They're a danger to society for sure, and they should be admitted to a maximum security mental hospital or something, but if they truely are screwed in the head enough to not understand what they've done wrong, you cant really punish them for that.

People who know exactly what they're doing, though, are a different story. Murderers and rapists should be shot on site lol. That would sort the prison troubles out a fair bit.
Last edited by Dom on Fri Jun 22, 2007 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bosco88
Political Stand:

Post by Bosco88 »

I just cant agree with killing someone for a crime. Is their something wrong with keeping them in a 8x8 cell for the rest of their life? And in this case especially! if he is mentally ill it might not have been intentional. The population is increasing so the number of mentally ill people will go up as well. Soon instead of saying that man is a lunatic, they will say there is something wrong with his DNA, give him medication to fix it. I remember watching a show about this kind of thing. And does anyone else see something wrong with a Nurse smoking?

Lass
Global Moderator
Political Stand:

Post by Lass »

[quote=Bosco88]
I just cant agree with killing someone for a crime. Is their something wrong with keeping them in a 8x8 cell for the rest of their life? And in this case especially! if he is mentally ill it might not have been intentional. [/quote]

I, for one, believe that people are responsible for their own actions. I believe that people who commit crimes are criminals; a pretty basic principle, but it's a bit out of fashion these days. I am studying law at university here in the UK and this one of the issues I've had to think about during the course of my studies. A person is, in my mind, either guilty or innocent. If he is guilty, he ought to be punished. If he is innocent, he ought not to be. If he is innocent by reason of mental illness, he should not be punished; I kinda doubt you'd want mentally ill murderers roaming free though. ;) Get my line of thought? :)

[quote=Bosco88]
And does anyone else see something wrong with a Nurse smoking?
[/quote]

Don't see why they shouldn't smoke any differently to anyone else, so long as it doesn't affect their work or the patients in their care.
Above all, I would teach him to tell the truth ... Truth-telling, I have found, is the key to responsible citizenship. The thousands of criminals I have seen in 40 years of law enforcement have had one thing in common: Every single one was a liar. [JE Hoover]

Romulus111VADT
Gifted Member
Political Stand:

Post by Romulus111VADT »

[quote=Bosco88]
And does anyone else see something wrong with a Nurse smoking?
[/quote]

Does being a smoker make her life less valuable to you? Does her being a smoker make the crime less heinous? Does being her being a smoker somehow justify her murder in your eyes? Basically, what the hell does her being a smoker have to do with anything? The fact is, she was brutally murdered for some sicko to get a sick thrill. For this reason alone, he should be executed in the same way her murdered the nurse. Then the sick bastard will really know what it's like. :icon_rolleyes: