Teenager describes killing nurse

Discuss issues that arise in todays world.

Moderators: Lass, Lad

Dom
Political Stand:

RE: Teenager describes killing nurse

Post by Dom »

[quote=Bosco88]
...Is their something wrong with keeping them in a 8x8 cell for the rest of their life?...[/quote]

It costs money.

appleton
Technical Administrator
Political Stand: Liberal

Post by appleton »

I have problems even knowing someone that dangerous is in a cell. What happens if they escape? It's happened before. Here we have a few terrorist suspects who have even escaped from supposed high security prisons. It's best to get someone that dangerous who has done the crime before and will most likely do it again out of the cell and in a electric chair.
"Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence, are usually the slaves of some defunct economist. Madmen in authority, who hear voices in the air, are distilling their frenzy from some academic scribbler of a few years back" - John Maynard Keynes

Lass
Global Moderator
Political Stand:

Post by Lass »

[quote=Dom]
[quote=Bosco88]
...Is their something wrong with keeping them in a 8x8 cell for the rest of their life?...[/quote]

It costs money.
[/quote]

Yep, money which they simply aren't worth. ;) For me, it's a question of justice and principle, though; not having prison expenses for people like this chap is a bonus.
Above all, I would teach him to tell the truth ... Truth-telling, I have found, is the key to responsible citizenship. The thousands of criminals I have seen in 40 years of law enforcement have had one thing in common: Every single one was a liar. [JE Hoover]

Luke
Political Stand:

Post by Luke »

To me, it's not justice to send a murderer who had previous murderous intent and purposely killed another person to jail. That's just not enough. For real justice to be played out, the murderer must be executed.

Also, the crime rate of countries that enforce capital punishment are extremely low compared to those who do not. Murders are almost nonexistent in cities like Singapore that exercise the death penalty. It's one thing if the murderer knows that they'll spend some time, maybe up to the rest of their life, in prison if they kill someone. It's another thing if they know that they will be executed if caught. Just having a death penalty is a huge psychological deterrent to killers.
"I invented the Internet." - Al Gore