Censoring video games

Discuss issues that arise in todays world.

Moderators: Lass, Lad

Lad
Global Moderator
Political Stand:

Censoring video games

Post by Lad »

At last some stand has been made against video game violence. Unfortunately this particular release played a role in causing a fatality from someone taken up with the game before it was banned. I hope the appeal is rejected if one is made.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/leic ... 767623.stm
War does not determine who is right, war determines who is left.

appleton
Technical Administrator
Political Stand: Liberal

RE: Censoring video games

Post by appleton »

Before computer games it was TV before that it was cinema, then radio then books.
People will always find a way to express the darkest side of human nature, what we need is to be allowed to make our own decisions as to whether we want to look at it. People will always find a way, Manhunt 2 will now sell twice as well in the UK on import alone!

I play these games. I never once think these are anything more then games.

The victim had the game himself too from what I heard. So where are the parents? This game is 18 certified. If they censor them. People will just buy them from abroad or online I probably would end up doing the same or downloading them. There really is no point in censoring videogames. Lets face it if this person was sick enough to murder he probably would have done it videogame or not.

Matt
"Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence, are usually the slaves of some defunct economist. Madmen in authority, who hear voices in the air, are distilling their frenzy from some academic scribbler of a few years back" - John Maynard Keynes

Lad
Global Moderator
Political Stand:

Post by Lad »

Yeah, but there are games and there are games. I do agree however that this guy would probably have gone on to kill at somepoint.

appleton
Technical Administrator

Post by appleton »

They are games and thats all they are and all they are intended to be. People who don't understand the difference between a game and real life are the problem people. People who don't understand that a game is just a game and that's all it will ever be.
"Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence, are usually the slaves of some defunct economist. Madmen in authority, who hear voices in the air, are distilling their frenzy from some academic scribbler of a few years back" - John Maynard Keynes

Lad
Global Moderator
Political Stand:

Post by Lad »

So then you wouldn't place any limits on anything designed by computer software simply because it could be only a game?

appleton
Technical Administrator

Post by appleton »

Nope, I wasn't going to write a whole essay on that point but if you insist. I will try to cover every point I can think of ;)

Games have a rating - In this case the game was a 18 so it was rated and created fro a mature audience. What were the parents doing when they allowed the victim to pick up this game? Why should such harsh limits be imposed simply because a minority of people act out scenes from a game or at least claim to? Why deny others the fun? Our nation is turning into a nation of censored, politically correct crackpots.

Really this just seems like a pointless topic. I can't see what the big issue is with violent games. There are plenty of violent books and films yet hardly any of them get any stick.

I can't remember that murderer/cannibal who ate his mums leg with pasta and said he acted out a scene from silence of the lambs.

What I think is it's a easy target. Someone says video games and some idiot politician sitting in parliament with a agenda backs the cause.

Levulett
Political Stand:

Post by Levulett »

I agree with you matt :)

But that article was from the UK I believe, not the US....

Lass
Global Moderator
Political Stand:

Post by Lass »

[quote=matt]
Really this just seems like a pointless topic. I can't see what the big issue is with violent games. There are plenty of violent books and films yet hardly any of them get any stick.
[/quote]

Maybe it's just me, but isn't there a big difference between books and films/video games? The latter is surely much more graphic.
Above all, I would teach him to tell the truth ... Truth-telling, I have found, is the key to responsible citizenship. The thousands of criminals I have seen in 40 years of law enforcement have had one thing in common: Every single one was a liar. [JE Hoover]