Burning car rammed into Glasgow airport terminal

Discuss issues that arise in todays world.

Moderators: Lass, Lad

Lad
Global Moderator
Political Stand:

Burning car rammed into Glasgow airport terminal

Post by Lad »

This is rather alarming...
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/6257194.stm
I hope it isn't terrorist related. Somehow I feel it is another terrorist plot gone wrong. :undecided:
Last edited by Lad on Sat Jun 30, 2007 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
War does not determine who is right, war determines who is left.

Luke
Political Stand:

RE: Burning car rammed into Glasgow airport terminal

Post by Luke »

Wow. Glad that they didn't manage to actually get the thing into the terminal; there could have been a catatastrophic explosion! Seems like the UK is getting targeted by more and more terrorist violence these days. :(
"I invented the Internet." - Al Gore

appleton
Technical Administrator
Political Stand: Liberal

Post by appleton »

We are. A lot have been foiled. Some still slip through.
"Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence, are usually the slaves of some defunct economist. Madmen in authority, who hear voices in the air, are distilling their frenzy from some academic scribbler of a few years back" - John Maynard Keynes

Lad
Global Moderator
Political Stand:

Post by Lad »

It's live on BBC News 24 (available on the BBC right now). Shame the guys didn't get stuck in the car if you ask me. Now we'll be spending the next 30 years caring for every human right they "posses" in a comfy prison cell.
I don't believe this. The police are briefing Live right now. He has just said that they took the "suspect" to hospital covered in burns and in a critical condition. On arrival they discovered he actually had somehow managed to conceal some sort of "device" on him and part of the hospital was evacuated. I feel so mad. He should be put straight back into that vehicle!
Arrested an 8th person now.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/6263408.stm

Good to see this all coming together.

Dom
Political Stand:

Post by Dom »

He managed to smuggle a "device" into the hospital? Damn...

I think the mentality of doctors is very admirable, as they'll help anyone who needs it, and that's a very worthy personality trait to have, but I'm not sure I could help someone who was hurt while he was trying to hurt other people.

Lass is right, they should have stuck him back in the car. And pushed it off a bridge or something, lol.

I don't know, I've posted in the other thread about the ignorance and good nature of the general public, and I think this is another shining example...
Last edited by Dom on Tue Jul 03, 2007 9:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Lad
Global Moderator
Political Stand:

Post by Lad »

I think you meant me, lad.

Joe Public is indeed very self-less and almost foolish sometimes in their desires to save lives. I am a red cross volunteer (actually on standby now for action at any time due to the terror threat) and I couldn't watch people burn and I think that is part of our culture that we just forget the surroundings and dive in.

Lass
Global Moderator
Political Stand:

Post by Lass »

Medics are taught, as we Red Cross volunteers are taught, to treat everyone with identical care. The doctors who are looking after this wretch are doing their job as they were trained to do it. That's a good thing; but I wish the chap had died at the scene ...
Above all, I would teach him to tell the truth ... Truth-telling, I have found, is the key to responsible citizenship. The thousands of criminals I have seen in 40 years of law enforcement have had one thing in common: Every single one was a liar. [JE Hoover]

Dom
Political Stand:

Post by Dom »

[quote=Lad]
I think you meant me, lad.[/quote]

Whoops, sorry! :sign0089: