Iraq civilian deaths 'dropping'

Discuss issues that arise in todays world.

Moderators: Lass, Lad

appleton
Technical Administrator
Political Stand: Liberal

Post by appleton »

The number of civilians killed in Iraq fell in June to the lowest level since the Baghdad security drive began in February, the Iraqi government says.

It says 1,241 civilians were killed in June - a nearly 40% drop compared with 1,951 violent deaths in May.

However, the figures cannot be verified independently, and many deaths are believed to go unreported.

June also ended the deadliest three months for US soldiers since the war began in 2003, with 330 troops killed.

US officials say American losses are rising because increased patrols in and around the Iraqi capital have left their forces more exposed.

Five US soldiers were killed in separate attacks in Baghdad and the western Anbar province on Sunday, the US military said.

US President George W Bush has ordered nearly 30,000 troops to be deployed in and around Baghdad to try to improve security and curb sectarian violence.

The last of the US reinforcements arrived last month.

Last Updated: Monday, 2 July 2007, 09:40 GMT 10:40 UK
E-mail this to a friend Printable version
Funeral in Baghdad in May. File photo
There are suspicions about Iraqi government figures
The number of civilians killed in Iraq fell in June to the lowest level since the Baghdad security drive began in February, the Iraqi government says.

It says 1,241 civilians were killed in June - a nearly 40% drop compared with 1,951 violent deaths in May.

However, the figures cannot be verified independently, and many deaths are believed to go unreported.

June also ended the deadliest three months for US soldiers since the war began in 2003, with 330 troops killed.

US officials say American losses are rising because increased patrols in and around the Iraqi capital have left their forces more exposed.

Five US soldiers were killed in separate attacks in Baghdad and the western Anbar province on Sunday, the US military said.

US President George W Bush has ordered nearly 30,000 troops to be deployed in and around Baghdad to try to improve security and curb sectarian violence.

The last of the US reinforcements arrived last month.

Suspicions

The new Iraqi government figure means that continuous bombings and shootings claimed an average of 40 lives every day in June - a drop from about 60 civilian deaths a day in May.

It also shows that at least 170 Iraqi policemen and soldiers were killed in the past month.

Anywhere else in the world it would be appalling statistics, but for Iraq this figure is seen as a positive sign, the BBC's Andrew North in Baghdad says.

US commanders said they were cautiously optimistic about the new figure but added that it was too early to say it was a sign their troop surge was working.

There are suspicions about the way the Iraqi government handles such information, our correspondent says.

It has refused to reconsider its decision to withhold statistics from the United Nations mission in Iraq.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/middle ... 260084.stm

Figures seem scewed to me. For the sake of Iraq I hope the "figures" are true. I really hope everything works and the troop surge isn't just a temporary solution to the problem.
Last edited by appleton on Mon Jul 02, 2007 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence, are usually the slaves of some defunct economist. Madmen in authority, who hear voices in the air, are distilling their frenzy from some academic scribbler of a few years back" - John Maynard Keynes

Luke
Political Stand:

RE: Iraq civilian deaths 'dropping'

Post by Luke »

Glad to see the deaths down. I think that our troop surge really will work. Their culture is used to massive military force defining political power; more coalition presence there may just be enough to impress on the foreign fighters just how formidable of a foe they are dealing with.

Have you noticed the commentary on "deadliest three months"? Since when are months measured in groups of three? Just to portray a bad image perhaps? Seems like the media can't help themselves when it comes to putting a negative spin on things.
"I invented the Internet." - Al Gore

Lass
Global Moderator
Political Stand:

Post by Lass »

[quote=Luke]
Have you noticed the commentary on "deadliest three months"? Since when are months measured in groups of three? Just to portray a bad image perhaps? Seems like the media can't help themselves when it comes to putting a negative spin on things.
[/quote]

That's the media all the way through! ;) If something can be dramatised, can be made especially eye-catching, it's just what the media are after in a story. Adjectives like 'deadliest' must be irresistable. There is wisdom in that regularly-used phrase, 'never believe what you read in the papers' (I actually seem to hear only politicians say it, funnily enough. ;) But I digress lol) ...
Last edited by Lass on Mon Jul 02, 2007 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Above all, I would teach him to tell the truth ... Truth-telling, I have found, is the key to responsible citizenship. The thousands of criminals I have seen in 40 years of law enforcement have had one thing in common: Every single one was a liar. [JE Hoover]

Lad
Global Moderator
Political Stand:

Post by Lad »

Good to hear that the number are down. Looks like the terrorists are focussing on the UK instead!
War does not determine who is right, war determines who is left.