Attacking the emergency services.

Discuss issues that arise in todays world.

Moderators: Lass, Lad

Lad
Global Moderator
Political Stand:

Attacking the emergency services.

Post by Lad »

Today's evening entertainment:
Cause vandalism and get chased by police.
Get drunk.
Take drugs.
Start a fire made up of people's fences or just some bushes and then stone the fire brigade with bricks and bottles
Upset people in their homes.
Intimidate drivers on roads.
Abuse hospital staff and ambulance crew when we get hurt.

Believe it or not I have seen aall the above, apart from the stoning firefighters bit which you can read about here.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7238127.stm

Welcome to the youth of many estates around the UK. We say today we are civilised, 500 years ago, despite their faults most of the above didn't exist and where it did in small ways it was dealt with swiftly.

It is really sad to think that those who risk their lives to help others get treated like dirt. I like the idea proposed by one BBC reader on Have Your Say as a starter.
"Simple the Law should allow them to have a separate hose with say a blue dye in for easy identification problem solved, the police can round them up as and when they have the time."
This person below though speaks for a lot of people.
"I'm 19 and throughout my teenage years I've always found it sick how people can attack those trying to help or protect other. I can say that most of the people I know feel the same way.
The thing to remember is not to label all teenagers as people who would do this. Most teenagers wouldn't dream of doing something like this and it is a small minority that actually does it.
I think if firefighters are attacked they should be allowed to fight back -"self-defense". But that's not PC, is it?"

The problem is, if only 2% of the youth population cause problems, you are speaking of tens of thousands. How many kids does it take to do these things above? Where I used to live gangs just accumulated of around 20-50 strong; it just depended. They came from miles around and from a population of thousands of people. They sure were more than enough to cause trouble when they went on the rampage.
Last edited by Lad on Mon Feb 11, 2008 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
War does not determine who is right, war determines who is left.

Romulus111VADT
Gifted Member
Political Stand:

RE: Attacking the emergency services.

Post by Romulus111VADT »

When you live in a population that is either unwilling or unable to defend itself from attack, these attacks will happen. In the US people have the right to bear arms and use them if they feel their property and or loved ones are threatened.

Even in the animal kingdom those that are incapable of defending themselves are always the victims. Why do you think they use the term "Sheep" when discussing people that are slaughtered and "Wolves" for those how do the slaughtering?

Lad
Global Moderator
Political Stand:

Post by Lad »

What do they do in the US?

appleton
Technical Administrator
Political Stand: Liberal

Post by appleton »

[quote=Lad]
[/quote]

Blow someones head off with a sawn off :P

I agree though it is a minority of teenage idiots. However the loud minority seem like a majority to many..
Last edited by appleton on Tue Feb 12, 2008 12:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence, are usually the slaves of some defunct economist. Madmen in authority, who hear voices in the air, are distilling their frenzy from some academic scribbler of a few years back" - John Maynard Keynes

Romulus111VADT
Gifted Member
Political Stand:

Post by Romulus111VADT »

[quote=Lad]
[/quote]

[quote=Romulus111VADT]
In the US people have the right to bear arms and use them if they feel their property and or loved ones are threatened.
[/quote]

Many states have a law that is called the, "Shoot the Avon Lady" law. We are legally allowed to defend our homes/property and our loved ones with deadly force. Anyone we feel threaten by that is even on our property is fair game. I have shot two men that tried to break into my homes over the years. I only wounded them and was actually given hell by the Sheriff's Deputies for NOT killing them. As it was put to me (and right in front of both men), "It's cheaper to bury them, then it is to prosecute."

Believe me, anyone trying to invade my home will be up against some massive firepower and someone that wouldn't hesitate to use it. If all else fails, I have several swords and dozens of edged weapons in open displays that would do well slicing and dicing.....lmao.

I have been highly trained in edged weapon combat techniques through the military as well as martial arts. One course in the military had a very ominous name - "PerSev" - It's an acronym for, "Perforate and Sever".

Lad
Global Moderator
Political Stand:

Post by Lad »

You can't shoot the group of 14 year olds from the local school that is pulling your fence down though, surely?
If you are a firefighter you can't shoot the people bricking you.
If you are an ambulance guy and someone attacks you; you can't leave him. You have to wait for the police.

I am not refering to break-ins. The crime I referred to up there (especially targetting the emergency services) is often done by youths. When I said what do they do in the US, I bet you'd get prosecuted and jailed if you shot them.

Dom
Political Stand:

Post by Dom »

Even if the law were changed and we here in the UK were able to defend ourselves with deadly weapons, for example, I don't think I actually could. Even if the law was on my side, I don't think I'd be able to just because of my own morals. :P :P

But something desperately needs to be done about these youths and their behaviour. I dont understand why they'd attack someone who is helping other people. I think it has something to do with authority. Kids these days just dont have any discipline, and they see all authority figures as threats. So if they're hanging around in their little gangs, and they see a police car or ambulance crew, they invariably want to cause some kind of damage. It's wrong, and partly down to the parenting of the kids, but still, you know when you're doing something wrong, and they need to be punished when they do.

Romulus111VADT
Gifted Member
Political Stand:

Post by Romulus111VADT »

[quote=Lad]
You can't shoot the group of 14 year olds from the local school that is pulling your fence down though, surely?
If you are a firefighter you can't shoot the people bricking you.
If you are an ambulance guy and someone attacks you; you can't leave him. You have to wait for the police.

I am not refering to break-ins. The crime I referred to up there (especially targetting the emergency services) is often done by youths. When I said what do they do in the US, I bet you'd get prosecuted and jailed if you shot them.
[/quote]

"You can't shoot the group of 14 year olds from the local school that is pulling your fence down though, surely?"

If they are on your property and are threatening you or your property. You are legally allowed to defend your home, life and the lives of your family with what ever force is necessary up to and including deadly force. This would apply to any age that is physically capable of inflicting such damage and are of an age that they can comprehend that their actions are illegal. This would normally include teenagers of any age. It could include even younger if that person say walked up to you or a loved one and started shooting at you. You still have the right to defend your life and the lives of your family.

"If you are a firefighter you can't shoot the people bricking you.
If you are an ambulance guy and someone attacks you; you can't leave him."

This is why police always respond with the ambulance and fire departments in most US cites. If a victim becomes violent and harms any responder in the US, they have the legal right to refuse to administer aid and to protect themselves. If they are attacked, they can use what ever force is necessary to defend themselves.

We even have a "Good Samaritan" law that protect all responders from law suites from victims that try to sue them.