London Bridge terror attack

Discuss issues that arise in todays world.
appleton
Technical Administrator
Political Stand: Liberal

London Bridge terror attack

Post by appleton » Sun Jun 04, 2017 4:46 pm

Having finally got my iPhone to turn on yesterday. I was alerted to the all too familiar notifications of a terror attack, in Europe again, this time in my home city.. again. My thoughts are with the dead and injured following this atrocious attack. It's boggles the mind what would inspire people to be so brutal :(

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/201 ... t-vauxhall

The police reacted amazingly, shooting all three suspects dead within 8 minutes of the first call to emergency services. Some amazing acts of heroism from the emergency services and the public are surfacing. Humanity in the face of terror.

It's clear that ISIS is getting squeezed in Iraq and Syria, and this could account at least in part for the frequency of attacks. The Manchester Arena attacks being just last week, the Marawi clash in the Philippines, Jakarta and in Egypt (the Minya attack on Coptic Christians).

Regarding the two recent attacks in the UK, one was a lone wolf attack (Westminster Bridge) and the second (Manchester Arena) most likely part of a cell. This too appears to be part of a cell.

Already on social media the reactionaries and extreme right are proposing to ban Islam (I kid you not), boot Muslims out and trying to score political points. It's disgusting and serves no justice to the dead, injured and our communities across the country. This is not the answer :icon_exclaim:

We need policies that unify, identify, and prevent. Making all feel included in society, better identification of those being radicalised or in danger of being radicalised. The current prevent strategy isn't working effectively. We also need better policies, recognising those who come back from war zones and removing their passports. Those who have travelled to war zones need to be screened, I understand this would be an immense task. Especially as it's near impossible to tell who has been where. For example; transit to Syria is often done by road to Turkey. It's impossible to screen everyone who has been to Turkey or any of it's neighbours. I agree with Theresa May and her statement enough is enough, but after the immediate aftermath comes the time for drawing up new effective policy.

What sort of policies/action do you think should be enacted?
"Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence, are usually the slaves of some defunct economist. Madmen in authority, who hear voices in the air, are distilling their frenzy from some academic scribbler of a few years back" - John Maynard Keynes

knowledgebin
Political Stand: Leftysnowflake

Re: London Bridge terror attack

Post by knowledgebin » Wed Jun 07, 2017 6:34 pm

appleton wrote:
Sun Jun 04, 2017 4:46 pm
Having finally got my iPhone to turn on yesterday. I was alerted to the all too familiar notifications of a terror attack, in Europe again, this time in my home city.. again. My thoughts are with the dead and injured following this atrocious attack. It's boggles the mind what would inspire people to be so brutal :(

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/201 ... t-vauxhall

The police reacted amazingly, shooting all three suspects dead within 8 minutes of the first call to emergency services. Some amazing acts of heroism from the emergency services and the public are surfacing. Humanity in the face of terror.

It's clear that ISIS is getting squeezed in Iraq and Syria, and this could account at least in part for the frequency of attacks. The Manchester Arena attacks being just last week, the Marawi clash in the Philippines, Jakarta and in Egypt (the Minya attack on Coptic Christians).

Regarding the two recent attacks in the UK, one was a lone wolf attack (Westminster Bridge) and the second (Manchester Arena) most likely part of a cell. This too appears to be part of a cell.

Already on social media the reactionaries and extreme right are proposing to ban Islam (I kid you not), boot Muslims out and trying to score political points. It's disgusting and serves no justice to the dead, injured and our communities across the country. This is not the answer :icon_exclaim:

We need policies that unify, identify, and prevent. Making all feel included in society, better identification of those being radicalised or in danger of being radicalised. The current prevent strategy isn't working effectively. We also need better policies, recognising those who come back from war zones and removing their passports. Those who have travelled to war zones need to be screened, I understand this would be an immense task. Especially as it's near impossible to tell who has been where. For example; transit to Syria is often done by road to Turkey. It's impossible to screen everyone who has been to Turkey or any of it's neighbours. I agree with Theresa May and her statement enough is enough, but after the immediate aftermath comes the time for drawing up new effective policy.

What sort of policies/action do you think should be enacted?
First, my thoughts are with those whose life's have been brutally taken and those who are injured. My thoughts are also with the families of those involved too.

Moving onto policies. I don't think any policy that is drawn up in the aftermath of terror would be effective this is a big no-no. The fact that some are so reactionary to think this a good idea deeply concerns me... :sign0015:

A process needs to be followed... Jeremy Corbyn's speech was particularly strong speaking after the attack.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Go40upNQ0ds

Note the part where he mentions if labour is elected, he will commission a report from the security services (on Friday) on the changing nature of the terrorist threat. In addition to this, including full authority for the police to do whatever is necessary and emphasising this cannot be done on the cheap. This is all light on policy I admit, for example what exactly is full authority for the police to do whatever is necessary?? there are many policies that would fit into that category. For example, some are calling for detention or tagging of those suspected of having gone to Syria or of being radicalised!! Absolutely stupid in my opinion. :shocked: :shocked:

You are wrong, prevent is effective, but it is woefully underfunded thanks to the present Tory government. Prevent needs more investment so teachers can spot young boys and girls who are potentially being radicalised. Social workers/teachers/Police community support officers need to work better and integrate themselves into communities to better understand the nature of the problem. The reduction of numbers of community support officers in UK communities is the first major issue, along with the breakdown of our communities full stop. Labour is right to press on about this issue.

My real concern is this... https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/201 ... rveillance

The possibility of sweeping new surveillance powers and tougher tpims.
"May says she wants to do more to “restrict the freedom and the movements of terrorist suspects” when there is not sufficient evidence to prosecute them."
. This to me will play into ISIS hands and make those who are subject to these measures aggrieved, making them feel like the state is there enemy and pushing them into the hands of terror networks. There is literally so much to worry about in every point her so called package its astonishing. Don't even get me started on the investigatory Powers Act, “snooper’s charter”.

When the time to discuss policy comes (and it shouldn't be now). We need to discuss sensible rational policies, not ones that comprise our liberty, values or freedoms that we hold dear. Those on the right of the political compass in particular, should be more reflective and less reactionary :sad: :sad:
Facts are so 2015.... remember fake news! "Fake News" ;)