Muslim Hairdresser 'Devestated'

Discuss issues that arise in todays world.
Dom
Political Stand:

Muslim Hairdresser 'Devestated'

Post by Dom » Tue Apr 01, 2008 3:36 pm

Le article

OK, so perhaps it not particularly news-worthy, but it did make me laugh. I mean, if you work in a hairdressers, it stands to reason that anything you wear on your head is going to raise an eyebrow or two, even if it's only because of the businesses 'branding' or 'PR' or whatever. As long as there's no discrimination going on there, then she should accept that there are going to be some things that aren't suitable for her to do for a living.

I've got a question, though:
The teenager told the tribunal in London she was "devastated" that she wasn't offered the job "due to my headscarf".
How does she know? For all she knows, she didn't get the job because of a lack of experience in the field. She readily admitted:
...that Ms Desrosiers did not make any derogatory comment about her headscarf or religion...
Hmmm...

I went to a job interview not so long ago. It was a Web Development job at Cambridge University, would you believe. The job basically involved turning Word documents into webpages, yet when I got to the interview I was asked all sorts of questions about web development technologies that had nothing to do with the job in question. They were also asking questions to do with office politics, knowing full well I'd never workid in an office as I'd come straight out of uni.

I felt uncomfortable too, but am I sueing them because of it? No, of course not. It's a job interview, it's supposed to be uncomfortable. Admittedly I think I did make one of the interviewers feel a little stupid when I indirectly corrected him on the pronounciation of a particular term he was supposed to know. But still, no hard feelings.

[/quote] :P :P :P
Last edited by Dom on Tue Apr 01, 2008 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

philbell
Political Stand:

RE: Muslim Hairdresser 'Devestated'

Post by philbell » Thu Apr 03, 2008 1:41 am

This is the way things are now unfortunately, if you are a minority it doesnt matter if you are the best candidate or not you should get the job else you are being discriminated against.

The major parties are saying in certain seats that they want women and minorities to stand for them. Is this not ruling English white men out? Is this not racist/sexist?

I’m all for equal opportunities but when things are more equal for some then that is not right, it’s about time things were proper equal!!!!

Dom
Political Stand:

Post by Dom » Thu Apr 03, 2008 12:43 pm

Yeah I'm sure that some people don't quite understand what the meaning of "equal opportunities" is. A lot of people in minority groups seem to think that it means they have to be given preference over other people because of their faith/skin colour etc, when in actual fact it simply means they can't be refused a job/care/benefits etc because of their faith/skin colour.

The trouble is, a lot of the white British majority also think that, and they feel as though they have to give priority to minorties, even if there are more worthy/needy people out there.

You're right, fair should mean fair. But because most people are brought up to be extra aware of racial issues these days, everybody overcompensates. And as I've said before (with no offense intented, of course; it's just my personal experience) there are certain minority groups who seem all too happy to take advantage of other people's ignorance. Which is probably where all the hatred/racism stems from.

Lad
Global Moderator
Political Stand:

Post by Lad » Fri Apr 11, 2008 9:29 pm

Some people like to make money from dubious means. I think this is simply one of them. People often use their minority interests to their advantage. Suing is one way. They can also intimidate employers on the if not I'll sue basis. People then get appointed to positions where others are more suitable.
War does not determine who is right, war determines who is left.

ford007
Political Stand:

Post by ford007 » Thu Jan 29, 2009 4:50 pm

If she want to wear a headscarf then why staying in Europe? If you want to live in Europe, then respect European traditions. Else pack your things and fly back to Arabia. Then they can try "Cultural Learnings of Europe for Make Benefit Glorious Nation of Saudi Arabia"
Enough of (ZA)Nu Labor. BNP is the only real alternative.