Rice grilled over lack of evidence against Iran

Discuss both American & Caribbean Politics here.
jafar00
Political Stand:

Rice grilled over lack of evidence against Iran

Post by jafar00 » Thu Feb 08, 2007 9:38 am

Like I have been saying all along. All this nonsense about an Iranian weapons program and blaming them for Iraq's woes is all just a load of hot air from the airheads in the White House.

http://english.aljazeera.net/NR/exeres/ ... B337DB.htm
I reject your reality and substitute my own

Lad
Global Moderator
Political Stand:

RE: Rice grilled over lack of evidence against Iran

Post by Lad » Thu Feb 08, 2007 3:19 pm

One thing that must be certain before any invasion in Iran is that everyone is satisfied (by that I mean the UN) that Iran is firstly actively persuing nuclear technology that could be used to develop nuclear weapons.

What I don't understand is: where is the UN? If only Europe would get its act together Iran wouldn't see it as beeing a US issue. There was a deadline back in August for them to cooperate and a few months after that there was mild sactions placed on the country. In my opinion that shouldn't be the end of it; what is the UN doing?

Jafar, I propose a question. If we agree not to invade Iran by believing they do not want nuclear weapons, can it then be fair that if they go ahead and get them the UN/US-led coalition can lawfully invade and purge Iran? I just want to know where you stand there.
Either they fully coperate with the UN (they have refused) or they don't.

I also wish to ask a second question. If Iran fires a single rocket (though if they did they would probably fire several) at Israel or Iraq do the coalition forces get automatic rights for immediate invasion?
Last edited by Lad on Thu Feb 08, 2007 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
War does not determine who is right, war determines who is left.

jafar00
Political Stand:

Post by jafar00 » Thu Feb 08, 2007 5:13 pm

[quote=Lad]
One thing that must be certain before any invasion in Iran is that everyone is satisfied (by that I mean the UN) that Iran is firstly actively persuing nuclear technology that could be used to develop nuclear weapons.
[/quote]

Just like the Iraq invasion that was done without UN approval and was an illegal pre-emptive strike without good cause.

[quote=Lad]
Jafar, I propose a question. If we agree not to invade Iran by believing they do not want nuclear weapons, can it then be fair that if they go ahead and get them the UN/US-led coalition can lawfully invade and purge Iran? I just want to know where you stand there.
Either they fully coperate with the UN (they have refused) or they don't.
[/quote]

Not unless they pose an actual threat to anyone. That's a silly question really since you are still assuming Iran is run by evil, raging tyrants bent on domination of the Middle East.

What's been done about North Korea when they have gone ahead with a Nuclear Weapons program against UN wishes? Iran if it really does have a weapons program is decades away from actually enriching nuclear fuel to the levels needed for a bomb. As it is they can barely enrich it enough to run a power station.
So you have at least 10 years to bomb the crap out of and invade North Korea before you need to deal with Iran. They are more of a threat than Iran, so get to it. :p

[quote=Lad]
I also wish to ask a second question. If Iran fires a single rocket (though if they did they would probably fire several) at Israel or Iraq do the coalition forces get automatic rights for immediate invasion?
[/quote]

Under UN regulations governing self defence, yes. Iraq and Israel would have the right to retaliate. But thats not going to happen since Iran hasn't actually threatened anyone.
I don't know what these coalition forces are that you mentioned but I assume you would be talking about Israeli and Iraqi allies?
I reject your reality and substitute my own

Lad
Global Moderator
Political Stand:

Post by Lad » Thu Feb 08, 2007 7:03 pm

I thought so; even if Iran gains nuclear weapons you still wouldn't agree with an invasion. I'm sorry Jafar, but I totally disagree with the trust you place in the Iranian government (that as far as history shows is unlikely to be a lasting or stable government over the next few decades anyway). To be honest you don't care if Iran gets nuclear weapons; you argue that they are not after them and we should trust them, but if they get them then oh well and good. You can't have it both ways.

I agree that the Iraq war was not done with UN approval, but it was not exactly illegal either as the justification for military action was already there. If the UN was a bit stricter then it would have been done with UN approval years before.

I do agree about North Korea, but I think the US is leaving it up to China and Japan to deal with. The US just shouts, but I doubt they'll be bothered as there isn't much interest in the region for them.

On my last question about Iran firing bombs into Israel or elsewhere I meant by coalition forces, the US, Israel and their allies. I suspect that if they did, you still would not agree with an invasion in Iran. IS that not so?
Last edited by Lad on Thu Feb 08, 2007 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
War does not determine who is right, war determines who is left.