Anti-Americanism.

Discuss both American & Caribbean Politics here.
Lad
Global Moderator
Political Stand:

Anti-Americanism.

Post by Lad » Thu Apr 12, 2007 3:45 pm

This is a very interesting article off the BBC. I just shook my head when I discovered that it stems from France. :shocked:

Read the article here:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/6547881.stm

The bit that amazed me:
Anti-Americanism was born in France. And here's a fascinating fact: it was born well before the United States existed. It was not caused by Coca-Cola, or McDonald's, or Hollywood or George W Bush.

The prevailing view among French academics throughout the 18th Century was that the New World was ghastly. It stank, it was too humid for life to prosper. And, as one European biologist put it: "Everything found there is degenerate or monstrous."

In their heart of hearts, many French people still believe that to be true.

A French intellectual once compared the United States with Belgium. Wounding. But you see what he meant: the French capital has a grandeur about it that demands attention on the world stage. Belgium does not, nor does most of America.

Washington is grand but Washington was designed by a Frenchman and his vision didn't fit the rest of the nation. America is ordinary. Go on say it out loud on the streets of Paris: "America is ordinary". It celebrates the pursuit of small-scale happiness - in families and communities - and that is what the anti-Americans can't stand.
War does not determine who is right, war determines who is left.

DodgeFB
Gifted Member
Political Stand:

RE: Anti-Americanism.

Post by DodgeFB » Thu Apr 12, 2007 4:02 pm

Just as I thought! They are jealous! :tongue: :biggrin:
The opinions expressed are solely of the writer.

"You can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." - Immanuel Kant

Romulus111VADT
Gifted Member
Political Stand:

Post by Romulus111VADT » Thu Apr 12, 2007 4:37 pm

Seems the French and other European nations forgot all their dislikes about the Americans when Germans were knocking on their doors. They sure seems willing for Americans to come to France and die to liberate them while they showed the world what true cowards do, hide and collaborate with the enemy.

I have many ancestors buried in European cemeteries. I seriously think that they fought and died for nothing. Maybe it would have been better for the US to let Hitler have Europe. Maybe after 60+ years of Nazism, the SS and Gestapo ruling the French, they may have felt differently. They are as ungrateful as any people on the planet. I can guarantee that if another Hitler ever looms on the horizon. The French will be on their own. Who knows, maybe the US might just help the future enemies of France...lmao.

I know w/o a doubt that if the US hadn't joined the War when we did, Britain would have fallen within a few years (if it took that long) and all of Europe would have a Swastika as part of their flags and goose stepping in parades.

Luke
Political Stand:

Post by Luke » Thu Apr 12, 2007 5:10 pm

In the words of the French themselves, "The more we change, the more we stay the same." ;)
"I invented the Internet." - Al Gore

Lad
Global Moderator
Political Stand:

Post by Lad » Thu Apr 12, 2007 10:05 pm

Lol if there is another war in which the French are threatened you can be sure they'll be running to the US for help and I imagine that enventually, not immediately, the US will indeed pull them out of difficulty. I doubt it will happen in my time though.

Romulus111VADT
Gifted Member
Political Stand:

Post by Romulus111VADT » Fri Apr 13, 2007 12:30 am

That's what really pisses me off about the French. When and if another Hitler is starring down the French. You can bet your sweet bippy they'll start whining to the US and Britain to come and save their sorry cowardly butts again. We'll get the, "Oh, all that nasty stuff we said about your countries, ah, we were just joking."

God, I'd love it if the US and Britain responded with, "Ok, we'll be there to help you just as fast as you came to our aide. But we'll have to debate any actions for, oh, lets see, maybe 5 or so years. We'll get back to you, ah, well, if your still there. Or if we can figure out which rock your hiding under this time."

Lad
Global Moderator
Political Stand:

Post by Lad » Fri Apr 13, 2007 10:33 am

I hope you aren't anti-French Rom. ;) lol

Romulus111VADT
Gifted Member
Political Stand:

Post by Romulus111VADT » Fri Apr 13, 2007 12:04 pm

[quote=Lad]
[/quote]

Who me? Yep, you bet I am, I've got little use for them beyond French Toast and French Fries....lmao

DodgeFB
Gifted Member
Political Stand:

Post by DodgeFB » Fri Apr 13, 2007 2:04 pm

[quote=Romulus111VADT]
[quote=Lad]
[/quote]

Who me? Yep, you bet I am, I've got little use for them beyond French Toast and French Fries....lmao
[/quote]
I don't like French Toast and I can't eat French Fries . So where does that leave me? :tongue:
The opinions expressed are solely of the writer.

"You can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." - Immanuel Kant

Lad
Global Moderator
Political Stand:

Post by Lad » Fri Apr 13, 2007 2:12 pm

Do you like the French roll? Surely that saves you! lol
rolls-1.jpg
rolls-1.jpg (6.03 KiB) Viewed 3897 times