Bad US uni shooting spree

Discuss both American & Caribbean Politics here.
Lad
Global Moderator
Political Stand:

Bad US uni shooting spree

Post by Lad » Mon Apr 16, 2007 6:27 pm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/6560685.stm

I find this very chilliung, I know a gunmen could have a field day at our uni. There are thousands of students and no security. My thoughts are with the students and their families.

What I can't understand is that the shootings were two hours apart.
War does not determine who is right, war determines who is left.

appleton
Technical Administrator
Political Stand: Liberal

RE: Bad US uni shooting spree

Post by appleton » Mon Apr 16, 2007 6:41 pm

It was a very big university so the guy could have easily blended in.

I smell another gun control thread methinks :) :shocked:
"Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence, are usually the slaves of some defunct economist. Madmen in authority, who hear voices in the air, are distilling their frenzy from some academic scribbler of a few years back" - John Maynard Keynes

Lad
Global Moderator
Political Stand:

Post by Lad » Mon Apr 16, 2007 6:45 pm

lol - the commentators live on TV are talking about it.

25,000 students in that uni though. We have about 14,000 in ours.

The death toll has risen now to just under 30. :(

Romulus111VADT
Gifted Member
Political Stand:

Post by Romulus111VADT » Mon Apr 16, 2007 9:03 pm

[quote=matt]
It was a very big university so the guy could have easily blended in.

I smell another gun control thread methinks :) :shocked:
[/quote]

Gun control will never work in the US, just like Prohibition never worked. When the 18th amendment tried to stop the sale of all alcoholic beverages in the US, all it did was to help bring the mobsters to power. Then, despite the illegal nature of alcohol, all the bad guys could get it easily and only the law abiding citizens couldn't or wouldn't.

There are many firearms that are already currently illegal in the US or that need a special license to own. I'd be willing to bet that if I tried even just a little (w/o using my military connections). I could get any of these weapons/firearms within a week or less, provided you have the money to purchase them. Make them illegal and you'll just see a raise in smugglers bringing them in.

Let's face it, even illegal drugs are readily available even in the UK. When people want something and are willing to pay for it. You'll always find a supplier. Whether it's illegal alcohol, firearms, drugs, or women, there will always be a source, no matter how illegal they are made.

With out getting into a religious debate (because it's against forum rules). It seems to me that when the anti religious people got their way and started banning all forms or reference to religion and when a parents rights to discipline their children was all but removed. This is when all these shooting started. Back when I was growing up and parents were strict and we went to church. The worst you'd need to worry about is a fist fight at school.

DodgeFB
Gifted Member
Political Stand:

Post by DodgeFB » Mon Apr 16, 2007 9:43 pm

If there had been a couple of people there with their permit to carry weapons this goof could have been stopped before he killed so many.
Last edited by DodgeFB on Mon Apr 16, 2007 9:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The opinions expressed are solely of the writer.

"You can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." - Immanuel Kant

Romulus111VADT
Gifted Member
Political Stand:

Post by Romulus111VADT » Mon Apr 16, 2007 9:57 pm

[quote=DodgeFB]
If there had been a couple of people there with their permit to carry weapons this goof could have been stopped before he killed so many.
[/quote]

Just pray if there was a guard that he knew how to use a weapon.

An elementary school my son went to in Virginia back about 1992 called the police about a vicious dog trying to bite the kids. I happened to be there when the "Dog Warden" decided to shoot the dog. The medium sized dog was at about 150 yards and the idiot fired 4 times and missed the dog each time because the dog was running around. I walked up and said to the cops and dog warden, "Do you want that animal dead?" They responded, "Yes" and I grabbed the rifle out of the dog warden's hands, pulled up and fired once, end of story. I handed the weapon back and said, "It's obvious that you've never been in the military. You never aim directly at a moving target, you have to lead them." Their next comment was to offer me a job....lmao

DodgeFB
Gifted Member
Political Stand:

Post by DodgeFB » Mon Apr 16, 2007 10:38 pm

Yeah we had two guys rabbit hunting on our farm. One guy shot his friends dog because he shot at the rabbit and the dog ran right into it.

I hope most LEOs can shoot better than that.

Lad
Global Moderator
Political Stand:

Post by Lad » Mon Apr 16, 2007 10:43 pm

That's an interesting point. A guard. Do they have them in most schools or universities? Personally I can't see the sense in allowing people to schools and unis wearing guns. Armed guards though is another story.

The thread I posted has been updated all day so I don't know what you have/haven't read. Anyway I would like to give credit to the smart girl who saved her classroom of fellow students by some fast thinking.
Nikolas Macko was in a mathematics class in Norris Hall when they heard a series of loud bangs in the hallway which prompted a female student sitting near the door to move to close it.

"She peeked out into the hallway, and saw the shooter, so she immediately closed the door. Three other students moved a table that was in front of the room - it seats approximately 40 students at capacity - and barricaded it against the door.

"A few seconds later, the shooter tried to open the door, but my classmates kept it well shut, as they held the table against it from floor level.

"The shooter shot the door twice at chest level, which resulted in two holes in the door, one of which hit the podium in the front of the class room and the other continued out the window. At this point he reloaded, shot the door again - this shot did not penetrate - and moved on to the other classrooms," Mr Macko added.

DodgeFB
Gifted Member
Political Stand:

Post by DodgeFB » Mon Apr 16, 2007 10:56 pm

The sense of people with carry permits is you have good guys that can take on the bad guys. Those shot today were just sheep being slaughtered . Do you think any of them wished they had a gun when he was shooting them and their friends? The police and guards can not be everywhere to protect the sheep of this world. Sometimes someone has to stand up and protect themselves and the people they care about. Or just take what ever comes their way.

I will take up for me and my family at any cost.
Last edited by DodgeFB on Mon Apr 16, 2007 11:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lad
Global Moderator
Political Stand:

Post by Lad » Tue Apr 17, 2007 10:08 am

In those situations yes. However, there would be ten times as many Virginia tec incidents if everyone had a gun.