Bad US uni shooting spree

Discuss both American & Caribbean Politics here.
Romulus111VADT
Gifted Member
Political Stand:

RE: Bad US uni shooting spree

Post by Romulus111VADT » Thu Apr 19, 2007 6:57 pm

Well, if everyone was armed, then there would be allot of dead, "idiotic thugs and stupid teenagers". Being armed would also serve as a deterrent to these, "idiotic thugs and stupid teenagers" trying to do anything to begin with.

I know I had several "Thugs" in a gang try hassling me once. They were walking behind me heckling the "old cripple". When I'd had enough, I turned around quite quickly for an old cripple and grabbed the leader. He had my .44 Magnum pressed against his forehead and his eyes got as big as saucers. I asked him if he'd like to see what a .44 magnum hollow point would do to a human head at such close range. He decline the offer of a demonstration very politely. I did point out that there were six of them and I just happened to have six rounds. I also assured them at the distances involved, it was highly unlikely that I'd miss.

They all became extremely polite and quite caring about my condition. They also learned that not ever old cripple is defenseless. Now when I'm out walking, they are all very polite and very helpful.

DodgeFB
Gifted Member
Political Stand:

Post by DodgeFB » Thu Apr 19, 2007 8:06 pm

I am waiting to see how many politicians think they can pass laws that will turn the US into Disney World. All warm and safe. And how many will face the fact that the bad guys already carry a gun. And that we need more "good" people that can stand up to the threat. :rolleyes:
The opinions expressed are solely of the writer.

"You can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." - Immanuel Kant

Lass
Global Moderator
Political Stand:

Post by Lass » Thu Apr 19, 2007 8:29 pm

[quote=Romulus111VADT]
Well, if everyone was armed, then there would be allot of dead, "idiotic thugs and stupid teenagers". Being armed would also serve as a deterrent to these, "idiotic thugs and stupid teenagers" trying to do anything to begin with.

I know I had several "Thugs" in a gang try hassling me once. They were walking behind me heckling the "old cripple". When I'd had enough, I turned around quite quickly for an old cripple and grabbed the leader. He had my .44 Magnum pressed against his forehead and his eyes got as big as saucers. I asked him if he'd like to see what a .44 magnum hollow point would do to a human head at such close range. He decline the offer of a demonstration very politely. I did point out that there were six of them and I just happened to have six rounds. I also assured them at the distances involved, it was highly unlikely that I'd miss.

They all became extremely polite and quite caring about my condition. They also learned that not ever old cripple is defenseless. Now when I'm out walking, they are all very polite and very helpful.
[/quote]

Lol. Got to love that. ;)

As regards the carrying of guns, I don't think blanket rules will work. National mentalities are so different. It comes across a bit naive to me, when some UK/other European commentator is going on about how bad the carrying of arms in the US is. It's a different country, a different people. You can't change mindsets and cultures just by passing legislation, surely. Some argue that strict gun laws make things worse, not better, anyway.
Above all, I would teach him to tell the truth ... Truth-telling, I have found, is the key to responsible citizenship. The thousands of criminals I have seen in 40 years of law enforcement have had one thing in common: Every single one was a liar. [JE Hoover]

DodgeFB
Gifted Member
Political Stand:

Post by DodgeFB » Thu Apr 19, 2007 8:49 pm

It does make it worse. I have been very lucky that everyone who shot at me were bad shots and did little or no damage. One man shot at me with my own gun. Don't think I will ever get over that! :tongue: But he is dead now so not much I can do about that. :biggrin: But I want to have a "sporting" chance if I am shot at. If they have a gun and I have my knife I am at a disadvantage. :biggrin:

Lad
Global Moderator
Political Stand:

Post by Lad » Thu Apr 19, 2007 10:49 pm

[quote=DodgeFB]
The answer is idiotic thugs and stupid teenagers already have guns. They don't care what is legal.
[/quote]

Yeah, but they don't bring them into schools and unis. I am trying to argue that at the end of the year if everyone in schools and unis had guns there would be far more deaths in lots of incidents, than as it currently stands (where no-one brings in guns) with the result of a one off rarity such as this.
[quote=DodgeFB]
It does make it worse. I have been very lucky that everyone who shot at me were bad shots and did little or no damage. One man shot at me with my own gun. Don't think I will ever get over that! :tongue: But he is dead now so not much I can do about that. :biggrin: But I want to have a "sporting" chance if I am shot at. If they have a gun and I have my knife I am at a disadvantage. :biggrin:
[/quote]

Some interesting stories - I'd more than freek out if I someone pulled a gun on me. How did a guy shoot at you with your own gun?

I have to say you and Rom have brushed death quite a few times. :shocked:
Last edited by Lad on Thu Apr 19, 2007 10:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
War does not determine who is right, war determines who is left.

DodgeFB
Gifted Member
Political Stand:

Post by DodgeFB » Thu Apr 19, 2007 11:26 pm

[quote=Lad]
[quote=DodgeFB]
The answer is idiotic thugs and stupid teenagers already have guns. They don't care what is legal.
[/quote]

Yeah, but they don't bring them into schools and unis. I am trying to argue that at the end of the year if everyone in schools and unis had guns there would be far more deaths in lots of incidents, than as it currently stands (where no-one brings in guns) with the result of a one off rarity such as this.
[quote=DodgeFB]
[/quote]

Some interesting stories - I'd more than freek out if I someone pulled a gun on me. How did a guy shoot at you with your own gun?

I have to say you and Rom have brushed death quite a few times. :shocked:
[/quote]
I was at a party. The lady of the house ask me if she could put my gun in her bedroom closet. Being stupid I agreed. Later in the night I was standing in the yard when a "former" friend that had seen me hand the gun to her took three shots at me. I went to get my gun and she said "Bobby has it. He said you were leaving and had forgot your gun." Now I don't turn my gun over to anyone. But I got the gun back that night and straightened him out the next day. You know back in those days it never crossed my mind to call the police. :tongue:

You really don't believe that kid was the only one with a gun in school do you?
Last edited by DodgeFB on Thu Apr 19, 2007 11:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lad
Global Moderator
Political Stand:

Post by Lad » Fri Apr 20, 2007 12:48 pm

Well I guessed there may have been a few folks who sneaked ones in, or the odd one in a room somewhere for whatever reason. But I thought the fact no-one was able to defend themselves shows that very few if any of the victims or witnesses had one.

DodgeFB
Gifted Member
Political Stand:

Post by DodgeFB » Fri Apr 20, 2007 3:28 pm

[quote=Lad]
Well I guessed there may have been a few folks who sneaked ones in, or the odd one in a room somewhere for whatever reason. But I thought the fact no-one was able to defend themselves shows that very few if any of the victims or witnesses had one.
[/quote]
I am sure none of the dead ones had a gun. But I would bet in schools all over this country there would be guns in lockers, backpacks, and coats. We hear two or three times a week about kids in middle and high school having been caught with a gun. Some schools here have gone crazy about guns in my opinion. One five year old was expelled from preschool for have a little plastic gun that went to a toy soldier in his pocket. Another kid was expelled for drawing a picture of a gun. They call that "no tolerance".

Lad
Global Moderator
Political Stand:

Post by Lad » Fri Apr 20, 2007 6:55 pm

I didn't realise the schools were that strict.

appleton
Technical Administrator
Political Stand: Liberal

Post by appleton » Fri Apr 20, 2007 7:31 pm

Well, I'm going to put this down to what I thought it was before my last post. After reading through the posts I would say it's a cultural/national thing. Countries are different and in the U.S it might be necessary to carry a gun. With my thinking there is nowhere here I would need to carry a gun.

Funny how us in British can't say gun control should be enforced. Yet, we are free to try and enforce our own beliefs on middle eastern nations though isn't it :P .

National mentalities are different and I don't think we should even begin to try and change them. Debating is fine though :)

I can't add more on this issue because I haven't fired a real gun or even been to the U.S

What concerns me more is that some people would even consider doing such a terrible thing and how he was allowed to just slip through the net! This is a problem we have with pedophiles slipping through into society too. Why was the boy "rejected" or shall I say "Out casted" (is that even a word? :P ) by the rest of society? Was he bullied or picked on?

I just don't understand that. I do understand he had mental issues but it looks like he never had no communication to begin with :icon_confused: . Maybe he was mentally ill from a young age. Who knows? :icon_confused:

Matt
Last edited by appleton on Fri Apr 20, 2007 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence, are usually the slaves of some defunct economist. Madmen in authority, who hear voices in the air, are distilling their frenzy from some academic scribbler of a few years back" - John Maynard Keynes