Bad US uni shooting spree

Discuss both American & Caribbean Politics here.
Lad
Global Moderator
Political Stand:

RE: Bad US uni shooting spree

Post by Lad » Fri Apr 20, 2007 9:05 pm

You have an amazing mental composure; but one we all need to have really as it is the most certain thing in the whole world.
War does not determine who is right, war determines who is left.

DodgeFB
Gifted Member
Political Stand:

Post by DodgeFB » Sat Apr 21, 2007 3:10 pm

I have been having a problem with death lately. And it seems to be getting worse. My wife says I seem to have a "hidden rage" at times. I am not sure, but I may know why. :rolleyes:
The opinions expressed are solely of the writer.

"You can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." - Immanuel Kant

Lad
Global Moderator
Political Stand:

Post by Lad » Sat Apr 21, 2007 8:14 pm

A hidden rage? I hope it isn't at the wife....!

DodgeFB
Gifted Member
Political Stand:

Post by DodgeFB » Sat Apr 21, 2007 8:35 pm

[quote=Lad]
A hidden rage? I hope it isn't at the wife....!
[/quote]
No, that is a different story!Image
You Are Here:

* Home
* Fred Thompson Report

April 19, 2007
Signs of Intelligence?

One of the things that's got to be going through a lot of peoples' minds now is how one man with two handguns, that he had to reload time and time again, could go from classroom to classroom on the Virginia Tech campus without being stopped. Much of the answer can be found in policies put in place by the university itself.

Virginia, like 39 other states, allows citizens with training and legal permits to carry concealed weapons. That means that Virginians regularly sit in movie theaters and eat in restaurants among armed citizens. They walk, joke and rub shoulders everyday with people who responsibly carry firearms -- and are far safer than they would be in San Francisco, Oakland, Detroit, Chicago, New York City, or Washington, D.C., where such permits are difficult or impossible to obtain.

The statistics are clear. Communities that recognize and grant Second Amendment rights to responsible adults have a significantly lower incidence of violent crime than those that do not. More to the point, incarcerated criminals tell criminologists that they consider local gun laws when they decide what sort of crime they will commit, and where they will do so.

Still, there are a lot of people who are just offended by the notion that people can carry guns around. They view everybody, or at least many of us, as potential murderers prevented only by the lack of a convenient weapon. Virginia Tech administrators overrode Virginia state law and threatened to expel or fire anybody who brings a weapon onto campus.

In recent years, however, armed Americans -- not on-duty police officers -- have successfully prevented a number of attempted mass murders. Evidence from Israel, where many teachers have weapons and have stopped serious terror attacks, has been documented. Supporting, though contrary, evidence from Great Britain, where strict gun controls have led to violent crime rates far higher than ours, is also common knowledge.

http://abcradio.com/article.asp?id=389928&SPID=15663

appleton
Technical Administrator
Political Stand: Liberal

Post by appleton » Sat Apr 21, 2007 10:23 pm

In recent years, however, armed Americans -- not on-duty police officers -- have successfully prevented a number of attempted mass murders. Evidence from Israel, where many teachers have weapons and have stopped serious terror attacks, has been documented.
Like I said. What works in some countries doesn't work in others...
Supporting, though contrary, evidence from Great Britain, where strict gun controls have led to violent crime rates far higher than ours, is also common knowledge.
I don't think that's quite true.
"Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence, are usually the slaves of some defunct economist. Madmen in authority, who hear voices in the air, are distilling their frenzy from some academic scribbler of a few years back" - John Maynard Keynes

DodgeFB
Gifted Member
Political Stand:

Post by DodgeFB » Sun Apr 22, 2007 12:18 am

If only he could be elected. Then we would see how our crime goes. But the liberals will never let him be president. We will end up with some spineless worm. They are already looking for someone to undo everything Bush did. :undecided:

Does pacifism really work anywhere?
Last edited by DodgeFB on Sun Apr 22, 2007 12:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Lad
Global Moderator
Political Stand:

Post by Lad » Mon Apr 23, 2007 9:25 am

IMO no. Pacifism can only work if every one of the world's nations are pacifists. As soon as one isn't we all have to be prepared to fight.

DodgeFB
Gifted Member
Political Stand:

Post by DodgeFB » Mon Apr 23, 2007 2:43 pm

[quote=Lad]
IMO no. Pacifism can only work if every one of the world's nations are pacifists. As soon as one isn't we all have to be prepared to fight.
[/quote]
That sounds about right. I don't think I will live to see that happen. :biggrin:

Lad
Global Moderator
Political Stand:

Post by Lad » Mon Apr 23, 2007 11:31 pm

No-one will. Human beings are born nasty. That's why an education of tolerance to all peoples and nations is so important in any society. If the German schools had some of that just under 100 years back there would never have been any world wars.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/6609745.stm

Seems like they made some small improvement - I'm sure every US person will agree that this was a good move no matter how strong they are on guns!