Religion Stuff

Wish to debate religious topics? Get debating!

Moderators: Lass, Lad

philbell
Political Stand:

Religion Stuff

Post by philbell » Sat Jun 07, 2008 2:24 am

I do not follow any religion, am probably best described as an agnostic. Having said that I guess I was brought up with what could be described as basic Christian values as most other white English/British/Europeans and Afro Caribbean’s. We celebrate Christmas and Easter each year even if the religious theme is often forgotten about, the fact is we follow the Christian festivals and way of life even if we do not worship. The same could be said of most people born and bred here over the last 1000 years or so (give or take half a millennium!!). The region where I live has a 95%+ population of the above with a small percentage of Chinese,Canadian & Americans then negligible amounts of other Asian nations.
Today I was involved in a GCSE in RE. Now call me old fashioned or out of touch but I would have thought that there would have been at least something in the paper that at least mentioned Jesus or God or at the very least the name of the Bible!! After all this is now a core subject at GCSE so all pupils are forced to take it unless they have been exempt on religious grounds!!! What the hell is that all about!!
I can understand that up to the start of year 10 that all faiths are explored and explained, to give kids the understanding of the differences, but to force a GCSE on ALL kids in RE which is no value in the real world is crazy. The only ones that can avoid it are the ones that have an interest already, and they are the ones that have ONE faith forced upon them and no understanding of all of the others!! It makes my blood boil, it is a farce and a waste of time and money and of my kids time. Instead of a GCSE in nothing they could have spent the time on an exam of use.
I have one child that in years 7&8 has learned about Christianity, Buddhism, Muslim, Hindu and Sikhs yet my Year 11 has only had Islam forced on her for the last 2 years. What use is that to her in the real world? In the GCSE today the questions were all based on Islam, the dress codes, the eating habits and about things from the Quran and about Mohammed. In my view this is just wrong.
I understand we are a society that has mixed races and views, I understand that in order to integrate people in to society that there needs to be an understanding of different cultures. This should surely work both ways though shouldn’t it? Not ramming the Muslim culture down my kids’ throats yet exempting the minority from having a Christian culture taught to them. After all if I moved to say Saudi Arabia I would expect to have to abstain from alcohol, not to force everyone else in the country to drink it just so I didn’t feel like I was in ‘a minority’.
It is fair enough trying to integrate people into society and educating people to understand the differences but it has gone beyond the point of that. It is forcing the minority view on the majority yet failing to educate the minority at all about the culture that they should be embracing in order to integrate. I think these issues are causing more divides than ever, the policies behind the plans to ease these problems are just making the problems worse.
As I say in my area it just causes parents to think of the education as a waste of time but in other areas it is causing a great deal of resent. I was working in Burnley recently for example and the locals were complaining of how they were forced out of areas of the town despite trying to let immigrants integrate. This was due to one family moving in to a street and then the rest of the street was eventually taken over by other family members, one by one the other houses were taken over ending up with a full street of people from one extended family and harassing original residents until they moved. That is not integrating people in to society it is far from it, it is causing locals to be alienated and building resentment, then on top their kids are forcefed with the intruders values, no wonder these former residents are resentful and appear racist.
The whole PC thing has gone way too far now, it is seriously causing resentment at the lowest level in some areas. A blackboard was called a blackboard as it was black, not as an insult, now it is a chalkboard. Then whiteboards were introduced. Nobody took offence at those as they were white, but now I hear there is a rising against this. In one area they have to be called marker boards as the anti PC brigade is mobilising and calling these racist. To a point I kind of agree as it was so petty with the blackboard, but at the end of the day It is all just pathetic.
Take things at face value, do not read anymore into anything than what it is!! Blackboard or Whiteboard. That is all it is!! A board of a colour!! Same with all of the other crappy issues that cause all these fights.
We all have to get on regardless of the differences between cultures & religions so do it instead of bickering over titles and names [no swearing/moderated] like that. It is all a waste of our lives.
Went off on a tangent as usual and lost the point but Anyway as nobody takes a blind bit of notice anymore maybe this is time to give up ranting
Last edited by Lass on Sat Jun 07, 2008 10:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lass
Global Moderator
Political Stand:

RE: Religion Stuff

Post by Lass » Sat Jun 07, 2008 10:40 pm

Never heard of the blackboard & white board thing before lol.
Last edited by Lass on Sat Jun 07, 2008 10:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Above all, I would teach him to tell the truth ... Truth-telling, I have found, is the key to responsible citizenship. The thousands of criminals I have seen in 40 years of law enforcement have had one thing in common: Every single one was a liar. [JE Hoover]

DodgeFB
Gifted Member
Political Stand:

Post by DodgeFB » Sun Jun 08, 2008 1:55 pm

I see the problem. And I don't like it either. I own my house and before I was run out of it by a neighbor I would burn it down on the way out.Image

By the way, maybe that is why many of our schools have "greenboards". No word from the green people yet.Image
Last edited by DodgeFB on Sun Jun 08, 2008 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The opinions expressed are solely of the writer.

"You can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." - Immanuel Kant

philbell
Political Stand:

Post by philbell » Tue Jun 10, 2008 12:16 am

[quote=DodgeFB]
I see the problem. And I don't like it either. I own my house and before I was run out of it by a neighbor I would burn it down on the way out.Image

By the way, maybe that is why many of our schools have "greenboards". No word from the green people yet.Image
[/quote]

Until we invade mars we should be ok lol

johnruddock
Political Stand:

Post by johnruddock » Wed Jun 11, 2008 6:39 pm

[quote=philbell]
I do not follow any religion, am probably best described as an agnostic. Having said that I guess I was brought up with what could be described as basic Christian values as most other white English/British/Europeans and Afro Caribbean’s. We celebrate Christmas and Easter each year even if the religious theme is often forgotten about, the fact is we follow the Christian festivals and way of life even if we do not worship. The same could be said of most people born and bred here over the last 1000 years or so (give or take half a millennium!!). The region where I live has a 95%+ population of the above with a small percentage of Chinese,Canadian & Americans then negligible amounts of other Asian nations.
Today I was involved in a GCSE in RE. Now call me old fashioned or out of touch but I would have thought that there would have been at least something in the paper that at least mentioned Jesus or God or at the very least the name of the Bible!! After all this is now a core subject at GCSE so all pupils are forced to take it unless they have been exempt on religious grounds!!! What the hell is that all about!!
I can understand that up to the start of year 10 that all faiths are explored and explained, to give kids the understanding of the differences, but to force a GCSE on ALL kids in RE which is no value in the real world is crazy. The only ones that can avoid it are the ones that have an interest already, and they are the ones that have ONE faith forced upon them and no understanding of all of the others!! It makes my blood boil, it is a farce and a waste of time and money and of my kids time. Instead of a GCSE in nothing they could have spent the time on an exam of use.
I have one child that in years 7&8 has learned about Christianity, Buddhism, Muslim, Hindu and Sikhs yet my Year 11 has only had Islam forced on her for the last 2 years. What use is that to her in the real world? In the GCSE today the questions were all based on Islam, the dress codes, the eating habits and about things from the Quran and about Mohammed. In my view this is just wrong.
I understand we are a society that has mixed races and views, I understand that in order to integrate people in to society that there needs to be an understanding of different cultures. This should surely work both ways though shouldn’t it? Not ramming the Muslim culture down my kids’ throats yet exempting the minority from having a Christian culture taught to them. After all if I moved to say Saudi Arabia I would expect to have to abstain from alcohol, not to force everyone else in the country to drink it just so I didn’t feel like I was in ‘a minority’.
It is fair enough trying to integrate people into society and educating people to understand the differences but it has gone beyond the point of that. It is forcing the minority view on the majority yet failing to educate the minority at all about the culture that they should be embracing in order to integrate. I think these issues are causing more divides than ever, the policies behind the plans to ease these problems are just making the problems worse.
As I say in my area it just causes parents to think of the education as a waste of time but in other areas it is causing a great deal of resent. I was working in Burnley recently for example and the locals were complaining of how they were forced out of areas of the town despite trying to let immigrants integrate. This was due to one family moving in to a street and then the rest of the street was eventually taken over by other family members, one by one the other houses were taken over ending up with a full street of people from one extended family and harassing original residents until they moved. That is not integrating people in to society it is far from it, it is causing locals to be alienated and building resentment, then on top their kids are forcefed with the intruders values, no wonder these former residents are resentful and appear racist.
The whole PC thing has gone way too far now, it is seriously causing resentment at the lowest level in some areas. A blackboard was called a blackboard as it was black, not as an insult, now it is a chalkboard. Then whiteboards were introduced. Nobody took offence at those as they were white, but now I hear there is a rising against this. In one area they have to be called marker boards as the anti PC brigade is mobilising and calling these racist. To a point I kind of agree as it was so petty with the blackboard, but at the end of the day It is all just pathetic.
Take things at face value, do not read anymore into anything than what it is!! Blackboard or Whiteboard. That is all it is!! A board of a colour!! Same with all of the other crappy issues that cause all these fights.
We all have to get on regardless of the differences between cultures & religions so do it instead of bickering over titles and names [no swearing/moderated] like that. It is all a waste of our lives.
Went off on a tangent as usual and lost the point but Anyway as nobody takes a blind bit of notice anymore maybe this is time to give up ranting
[/quote]

Hi philbell,
What happens if this "core subject" ie RE is just ignored by the pupil ? For instance if he attends all the lessons etc but doesn't bother trying to pass the gcse and concentrates soley on his other subjects.After all you can lead a horse to water but can't make it drink,if you see what I'm asking.

Dom
Political Stand:

Post by Dom » Wed Jul 09, 2008 4:58 pm

I pretty much agree with phillbell.

As far as I can tell, being part of a particular religion doesn't stop you learning about other religions. It's not like it can be considered "preaching" to a false God, or false idea, so why should anyone who happens to call themselves a Jew, Muslim or even Christian be exempt from learning about other religions?

It seems strange to me that the people who have the most active interest in religion are exempt from learning about it, yet the people who couldn't care less have it forced down their throats.

I'd say it was a major dose of PC over-compensation. Someone, somewhere decided that their particular religion (no points for guessing which one) wasn't represented well enough in the current GCSE, and so, in their typical "I want to be seen as a caring government" style, the government practically created Muslim Studies out of what was once Religious Education.

It's pretty poor to be honest. If you're going to force a load of kids to learn about religion, at least make sure they all have to learn about religion. To me, it doesn't matter if you dont want to learn about religion for the sake of not being interested, or for the sake of practising your own religion - if you're going to make people have to learn about it by law, then that law should apply to everyone.

And if people don't agree with that law, then they should either break it, and face the punishments, or move to a place that doesn't have such laws. They shouldn't try to force the country that has had a perfectly acceptable religious system for hundreds of years to change to suit them.

Dom
Political Stand:

Post by Dom » Wed Jul 09, 2008 5:01 pm

[quote=johnruddock]
Hi philbell,
What happens if this "core subject" ie RE is just ignored by the pupil ? For instance if he attends all the lessons etc but doesn't bother trying to pass the gcse and concentrates soley on his other subjects.After all you can lead a horse to water but can't make it drink,if you see what I'm asking.
[/quote]

You could ask the same thing about any subject. That question isn't specific to Religious Education. If a student chooses to ignore their responsibilities in certain subject areas for the sake of concentrating on other subjects, then that's up to them. They'll do as well as they can, but probably fail the subject. As you say, you can't force them to do well.