no matter what everyone believes

Wish to debate religious topics? Get debating!
politics4u
Political Stand:

no matter what everyone believes

Post by politics4u » Fri Jan 30, 2009 4:01 pm

isn't it a good overall belief for human beings to treat each other well? I dunno if Agnostics and Atheists believe this but it is the foundation of most religions that goes ignored. I think its always a good thing to treat people how you want to be treated. Who cares what the other person believes. Believe in being a friend to someone you know is a good person and deserves to be treated well. I would say when looking at someone else, stop asking yourself what religion a person follows/lack of faith someone has, ask yourself what this person does for humanity and the world in his/her everyday life. Do you guys agree? Disagree? Why?
Last edited by politics4u on Fri Jan 30, 2009 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

garywoot
Political Stand:

RE: no matter what everyone believes

Post by garywoot » Fri Jan 30, 2009 6:23 pm

"I dunno if Agnostics and Atheists believe this but it is the foundation of most religions that goes ignored. I think its always a good thing to treat people how you want to be treated."

Maybe you don't know because you don't have a religion, but you do know most Christians and Muslims have that as their 10 commandments? I think it's about the second one, which states "treat your neighbour as you would yourself" (or something like that, I don't remember).

Most religions preach what you just said, maybe you just haven't been notified of this. :D

Dirk
Political Stand:

Post by Dirk » Thu Apr 16, 2009 6:34 pm

I agree. It doesn't matter what relion we are or aren't. We are the same in that we're human. There is no superior or inferior religion. If you have a religion, you think it's right. Personally, i don't think that matters. I think that Buddhists should have as much right to their beliefs as Hindus, Muslims, Christians, Sikhs and Pastafarians. Who are we to take away a person's liberty to believe (or not believe) what they like, however likely or unlikely?
Working Class And F***ing Proud!

A, B, C, D - Eviscerate the bourgeoisie.

Freedom Or Death. One solution:
R-E-V-O-L-U-T-I-O-N!

All Power To The People!

mongoman
Political Stand:

Post by mongoman » Sat Apr 25, 2009 6:35 pm

It's called the Golden Rule isn't it?

"Do unto others as you would have them do unto you."

Makes sense to me.

Dirk
Political Stand:

Post by Dirk » Thu May 07, 2009 3:34 pm

[quote=mongoman]

Makes sense to me.
[/quote]

I disagree. I would amend it to:

Don't do unto others as you would have them do unto you if you are into, um, stuff that include a lot of leather/lubricant/Las Vegas, unless they are too, in which case, have fun, take pictures and go nuts!

R-E-V-O-L-U-T-I-O-N!

All Power To The People!

DodgeFB
Gifted Member
Political Stand:

Post by DodgeFB » Thu May 07, 2009 8:55 pm

[quote=Dirk]
[quote=mongoman]

Makes sense to me.
[/quote]

I disagree. I would amend it to:

Don't do unto others as you would have them do unto you if you are into, um, stuff that include a lot of leather/lubricant/Las Vegas, unless they are too, in which case, have fun, take pictures and go nuts!
[/quote]

What happened to "do it to them before they can do it to you"? :icon_frown:
The opinions expressed are solely of the writer.

"You can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." - Immanuel Kant

Dirk
Political Stand:

Post by Dirk » Fri May 08, 2009 11:42 am

[quote=DodgeFB]
What happened to "do it to them before they can do it to you"? :icon_frown:
[/quote]

Wrong golden rule. We're talking about religion, not NATO and nuclear holocaust.

R-E-V-O-L-U-T-I-O-N!

All Power To The People!

Saxony
Political Stand:

Post by Saxony » Sat May 16, 2009 2:23 am

[quote=politics4u]
isn't it a good overall belief for human beings to treat each other well? I dunno if Agnostics and Atheists believe this but it is the foundation of most religions that goes ignored. I think its always a good thing to treat people how you want to be treated. Who cares what the other person believes. Believe in being a friend to someone you know is a good person and deserves to be treated well. I would say when looking at someone else, stop asking yourself what religion a person follows/lack of faith someone has, ask yourself what this person does for humanity and the world in his/her everyday life. Do you guys agree? Disagree? Why?
[/quote]

I think Atheists and agnostics believe this, as well. I mean, the rules of being kind and nice and sensitive didn't just come into play in human nature when religion came to play.

And I think yes, live and let live, have compassion, love and tolerance are all good rules to live by.

Liberal_Scotty
Political Stand:

Post by Liberal_Scotty » Mon May 25, 2009 3:10 pm

The general notion of being nice and living by a common sense moral code is not a product of religion in my opinion. It is especially not a sole Christian invention as Christianity is very, very, young compared to other religions or when compared to how long man has been on the earth. You can still have ethics and morals and be agnostic/atheist. The only difference between an agnostic/atheist and a christian in this regard, is who is the moral policeman in their head. For the agnostic/atheist, that policeman has to be themselves. You have to constantly be examining your own actions and whether or not they measure up to how you are to conduct yourself by your standards. For the Christian, that policeman is god. The former has been in use long before 32 AD.

Dirk
Political Stand:

Post by Dirk » Mon May 25, 2009 4:13 pm

[quote=Liberal_Scotty]
The general notion of being nice and living by a common sense moral code is not a product of religion in my opinion. It is especially not a sole Christian invention as Christianity is very, very, young compared to other religions or when compared to how long man has been on the earth. You can still have ethics and morals and be agnostic/atheist. The only difference between an agnostic/atheist and a christian in this regard, is who is the moral policeman in their head. For the agnostic/atheist, that policeman has to be themselves. You have to constantly be examining your own actions and whether or not they measure up to how you are to conduct yourself by your standards. For the Christian, that policeman is god. The former has been in use long before 32 AD.
[/quote]

*Claps appreciatively* Oh-ho, nice going. Well said.

R-E-V-O-L-U-T-I-O-N!

All Power To The People!