Christianity/Catholic

Wish to debate religious topics? Get debating!
garywoot
Political Stand:

Christianity/Catholic

Post by garywoot » Mon Feb 02, 2009 10:50 pm

I have been googling, but I get get these rubbish from religious sites and these are two most common answer I got

Christian =/= Catholic
Christian = Catholic and at same time Catholic =/= Christian and vice versa

I thought it was Christianity =/= Catholic.

Forgive my ignorance and discuss.

Sited
Political Stand:

RE: Christianity/Catholic

Post by Sited » Mon Feb 02, 2009 10:53 pm

Catholicism is a different, more traditional form of Christianity, even though Christianity was derived from Catholic beliefs.

Their core beliefs are identical: Jesus Christ is the Savior and Lord and He died for our sins so that we may be saved.

However, Christians disagree with certain aspects of Catholic beliefs like confessionals and prayer to the saints and the Virgin Mary. Christians believe in no greater significance in the saints/prophets and the Virgin Mary, as Christians believe all believes are prophets.

Also, Catholics believe in purgatory, which Christians do not.

Romulus111VADT
Gifted Member
Political Stand:

Post by Romulus111VADT » Tue Feb 03, 2009 12:18 am

All Christians trace their religion back to "Jesus Christ".

Baptist trace their religion back to "John the Baptist", the cousin of Jesus, but the religion was founded by John Smyth (1570 - 1612)

Catholics trace their religion back to "St. Peter" Matthew 16:18- "And I tell you that you are Peter and on this rock I will build my church, and the gates of Hades will not overcome it."

FYI: Purgatory is NOT mentioned ANYWHERE in the Bible. It comes from Dante's Inferno and the The Divine Comedy written by Dante Alighieri.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Divine_Comedy

Protestant trace their religion back Martin Luther around 1517 with the Protestant Reformation.

Here is a great study of Religion and it's founders- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_fo ... traditions
Last edited by Romulus111VADT on Tue Feb 03, 2009 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Albert Einstein - "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."

Martin Luther King Jr. - “Nothing in the world is more dangerous than a sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.”

Johann Wolfgang von Goethe - “There is nothing worse than aggressive stupidity.”

Lakrite
Political Stand:

Post by Lakrite » Mon Mar 30, 2009 12:07 am

Also, Catholics believe in purgatory, which Christians do not.
Catholics are Christians. Protestant Christians do not believe in purgatory.

There is the main religion of Christianity. Catholicism was the original, but then there were many breaks in the church leading to Protestant religions such as Lutheran, Methodist, etc. All Catholics are Christians, but not all Christians are Catholics. Thats how it works.
"Government's first duty is to protect the people, not run their lives."
-Ronald Reagan

"Life is a story; if you stay on the same page forever you will never finish it."
"There are days you are the pigeon and days you are the statue."

mongoman
Political Stand:

Post by mongoman » Wed Apr 01, 2009 3:14 pm

Catholicism was not by any means the original form of christianity.

There are far earlier, less corrupt forms of christianity.

For example, where does the bible mention a pope?

Dirk
Political Stand:

Post by Dirk » Thu Apr 16, 2009 3:31 pm

[quote=Lakrite]
Catholics are Christians. Protestant Christians do not believe in purgatory.

There is the main religion of Christianity. Catholicism was the original, but then there were many breaks in the church leading to Protestant religions such as Lutheran, Methodist, etc. All Catholics are Christians, but not all Christians are Catholics. Thats how it works.
[/quote]

Right, Catholicism is a denomination of Christianity. But then you get things like Episcopalians, which have an episcopal system (bishops etc) but no pope and have characteristics of both Protestantism and Catholicism. Catholics decorate their churches quite flamboyantly and Protestant churches are relatively plain. Then there is Arminianism, which has much of the pomp and ceremony of Catholicism but reject the pope and the virgin mary's semi-deification. And Puritan churches are very plain - a communion table replaces the alter etc. It's more democratic as well. Lutheran is more common in central Europe and not easily found in Britain. I'm not sure about America. It is following in the spirit of Martin Luther King Jr's teachings. Confusing stuff but they are all Christians in the end.
Working Class And F***ing Proud!

A, B, C, D - Eviscerate the bourgeoisie.

Freedom Or Death. One solution:
R-E-V-O-L-U-T-I-O-N!

All Power To The People!

rcbako
Political Stand:

Post by rcbako » Thu Oct 14, 2010 2:09 pm

The word christian was mentioned even in the New Testament. Christians are those people who believe in God and his Son Jesus Christ. Some think that christians are only catholics. Catholism has started maybe about 300 AD and was embraced from that time onwards. That's the reason why they have the same connotation.

simonjoyers
Political Stand:

Post by simonjoyers » Wed Jan 26, 2011 2:01 pm

Evangelical Christians, who say that Catholics are not Christians have stood on its difficulty because they accept the authority of the Catholic Church, every time you take the Bible.