Is the Bible literally true?

Wish to debate religious topics? Get debating!

Total votes: 0

Liberal_Scotty
Political Stand:

Post by Liberal_Scotty » Mon May 25, 2009 3:59 pm

I do enjoy theological discussions and I like to study the Bible and other holy works. At times, I almost wish that I could be religious, but I can't. When a given church tells me that the bible is literally true, I cannot square that away with commonly known knowledge in regards to the earth, science, or general development. I believe the Bible can be beneficial in regards to understanding ancient myths and parables. If we view it as a way that early people struggled to understand their meaning in the whole scheme of things and what they endured, then I can stomach that.

So is the Bible literally true? I would argue that it isn't due to these and many other concerns.

-The earth is billions of years old, not millions. Dinosaurs did not exist on the earth at the same time as man did, and the bones of early hominids clearly point to early man not looking like what we are today.

-The Tower of Babel & the confounding of languages; According to this story, God "mixed up" the language of the people on the earth. This implies that it was truly scrambled intentionally. The truth of the matter is that language is a systematic and orderly construct that we can trace back. We do have a language tree depiction that clearly shows how languages are related to one another. While there are missing pieces at the bottom runs of the tree, the system clearly shows that language development and change occured as human development occured and changed. It was hardly a singular moment where people all of a sudden, could no longer communicate with their neighbors.

-Jonah and the "big fish" story. I have a hard time swallowing this one(pun not intended) For starters, interpretation tells us that it was indeed a "fish." I have yet to hear of any instance in recorded history where a human was swallowed by a fish and lived to tell about it. Shark attacks and the like do not count. For another, surviving such an ordeal is impossible. As an EMT, I can tell you that being underwater for even a brief time and walking around afterwards, would not portend well for you in regards to living long afterwards. Without aggressive oxygen management, even a partial blockage of the oxygen/CO2 exchange procss in the lungs would allow for a person to only live a short time. Miraculously overcoming such a predicament in the second century without medical help defies all common sense.

-Morality in the Old Testament; Standards of conduct were only for the benefit of a nomadic tribal culture, nothing more, nothing less. Marriage helped to pass down property and homosexuality was discouraged as it did not "help" with the dispensing of property or the propogation of the tribe. The decree to stone one's children if they talked back to you was an archaic tribal custom, not something we should follow to this day. Ditto planting more than one kind of crop in your field, or of regulations pertaining to menstration. :rolleyes:

desozapeater
Political Stand:

RE: Is the Bible literally true?

Post by desozapeater » Fri Oct 09, 2009 1:18 pm

Hi
Yes the Bible is completely literal. Well, except for the places where it contradicts itself. And except for the things that have been proven to be inaccurate. And except for things that will be proven inaccurate tomorrow, and the day after that.

But yes, the rest of it that can't be proven to NOT be literal are literal.

AndeTL
Political Stand:

Post by AndeTL » Wed Nov 25, 2009 5:03 am

[quote=Liberal_Scotty]
I do enjoy theological discussions and I like to study the Bible and other holy works. At times, I almost wish that I could be religious, but I can't. When a given church tells me that the bible is literally true, I cannot square that away with commonly known knowledge in regards to the earth, science, or general development. I believe the Bible can be beneficial in regards to understanding ancient myths and parables. If we view it as a way that early people struggled to understand their meaning in the whole scheme of things and what they endured, then I can stomach that.

So is the Bible literally true? I would argue that it isn't due to these and many other concerns.

-The earth is billions of years old, not millions. Dinosaurs did not exist on the earth at the same time as man did, and the bones of early hominids clearly point to early man not looking like what we are today.

-The Tower of Babel & the confounding of languages; According to this story, God "mixed up" the language of the people on the earth. This implies that it was truly scrambled intentionally. The truth of the matter is that language is a systematic and orderly construct that we can trace back. We do have a language tree depiction that clearly shows how languages are related to one another. While there are missing pieces at the bottom runs of the tree, the system clearly shows that language development and change occured as human development occured and changed. It was hardly a singular moment where people all of a sudden, could no longer communicate with their neighbors.

-Jonah and the "big fish" story. I have a hard time swallowing this one(pun not intended) For starters, interpretation tells us that it was indeed a "fish." I have yet to hear of any instance in recorded history where a human was swallowed by a fish and lived to tell about it. Shark attacks and the like do not count. For another, surviving such an ordeal is impossible. As an EMT, I can tell you that being underwater for even a brief time and walking around afterwards, would not portend well for you in regards to living long afterwards. Without aggressive oxygen management, even a partial blockage of the oxygen/CO2 exchange procss in the lungs would allow for a person to only live a short time. Miraculously overcoming such a predicament in the second century without medical help defies all common sense.

-Morality in the Old Testament; Standards of conduct were only for the benefit of a nomadic tribal culture, nothing more, nothing less. Marriage helped to pass down property and homosexuality was discouraged as it did not "help" with the dispensing of property or the propogation of the tribe. The decree to stone one's children if they talked back to you was an archaic tribal custom, not something we should follow to this day. Ditto planting more than one kind of crop in your field, or of regulations pertaining to menstration. :rolleyes:
[/quote]

It appears that you have already decided that the Bible is inacurate due to the fact that you are unwilling to accept the possability that maybe the earth isn't billions of years old. There is much more evidence for a young earth and in favor of the Biblical accounts if you really approach it with an open mind.

alenshowbrizz
Political Stand:

Post by alenshowbrizz » Tue Jul 20, 2010 11:40 am

Yes I also believe in bible. It is a holy book. I have been use this bible last 7 years for my problem solution. My grand father has to suggested me to read bible but still,But he was dead before 2 years. so use bible for my problem

jimeshten
Political Stand:

Post by jimeshten » Wed Jul 28, 2010 4:22 pm

I do or may be enjoy theoretical Topics and I like to study the Bible and other holy books. At times, I almost wish that I could be religious, but I can't read bible When a goes to the "church father" has to tell me that the bible is literally true, I cannot square that away with commonly known knowledge in regards to the earth, science or General development. I believe the Bible can be beneficial in regards to understanding is very easily. If we view It as a way that early people struggled to understand their meaning in the whole scheme of things and what they Endured then I can think that novel. :sign0092:
Genius is an immense capacity for taking trouble

rcbako
Political Stand:

Post by rcbako » Thu Oct 14, 2010 2:00 pm

I had read the New Testament and I am still reading the Old Testament. For me the bible is true as far as it is translated correctly. I said that because I believe that due to many translations variation is not surprising.