New EU members

Discuss European Politics here.
appleton
Technical Administrator
Political Stand: Liberal

RE: New EU members

Post by appleton » Thu Jan 04, 2007 3:32 pm

[quote=Lad]
In the summer holidays I plan to have a really big thread for the subject. A thread where I can devote more justice in discussing what is one of the most influential bodies in the world. It's annoying having to write off short points and I'm not getting my ideas across.
[/quote]
Look forward to that. Hopefully we will have even more members to discuss this with. Your posts aren't short in my eyes.

*Wonder's what Ben means by big thread!* *Runs* :P
"Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence, are usually the slaves of some defunct economist. Madmen in authority, who hear voices in the air, are distilling their frenzy from some academic scribbler of a few years back" - John Maynard Keynes

Lass
Global Moderator
Political Stand:

Post by Lass » Thu Jan 04, 2007 6:50 pm

Umm ... five pages clearly isn't big enough ..? :P
Above all, I would teach him to tell the truth ... Truth-telling, I have found, is the key to responsible citizenship. The thousands of criminals I have seen in 40 years of law enforcement have had one thing in common: Every single one was a liar. [JE Hoover]

hanika
Political Stand:

Post by hanika » Wed Mar 04, 2009 3:35 pm

We should understand that if some conflicts do not effect us directly, indirectly we are all effected as a species that seems to work hard against its own survival. I found some very interesting thoughts on this subject in the book called The Age of Nepotism, you should look it up and read about current affairs in the world from the perspective of Iranian American entrepreneur traveling through the Balkans. There is also a site www.theageofnepotism.com

Dirk
Political Stand:

Post by Dirk » Fri Apr 17, 2009 11:48 am

From an economic view, the European Union is a huge success. And yes, i do only care about the economic view, Sorry. New EU members are a good thing. It means that trade will be extended. The no-borders policy is extended. So much more free trade equals more economic integration. More economic integration equals stronger, united, European economy. The Eastern European countries are a vital new market to tap into and cheaper labour there can boost production. In the short term, yes, we'll lose a bit on EU projects on full industrialisation etc but think of the long term benefits. Romania and Bulgaria are an investment.
Working Class And F***ing Proud!

A, B, C, D - Eviscerate the bourgeoisie.

Freedom Or Death. One solution:
R-E-V-O-L-U-T-I-O-N!

All Power To The People!

Dirk
Political Stand:

Post by Dirk » Fri Apr 17, 2009 11:58 am

And you Brits are often really anti-EU. Loss of sovereignty? Please! Has France lost any of it's sovereignty? cultural heritage? No. And France has a lot more to lose than Britain. Immigration? Sure, at first. Until their country's infrastructure is more developed. But Britain doesn't get much immigration. A tiny amount compared to, for example, Germany. In the North, there's a giant Polish population. In Bayern (Bavaria), there's a huge Turkish population. You have a tiny trickle compared to France and Germany. But the "problem" of immigration is just an excuse for racism because immigrants are economically important. They are cheaper labour and bring important ideas to society. They make culture more diverse, which allows investment into museums etc that accentuate culture. An influx of new workers can only create more economic activity. Come on guys, we all know that protectionism leads to collapse and is completely un-economically viable.
Working Class And F***ing Proud!

A, B, C, D - Eviscerate the bourgeoisie.

Freedom Or Death. One solution:
R-E-V-O-L-U-T-I-O-N!

All Power To The People!

appleton
Technical Administrator
Political Stand: Liberal

Post by appleton » Tue Dec 17, 2013 1:41 am

I wonder how many of us think the US is still a very special ally of the UK after Mr. Edward Snowden's leaks. Of course I talk of the below....

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/po ... 52747.html

As for the EU. It's gone through tough times. We haven't had an influx of anyone from Romania or Bulgaria in 2007 or 2008. Maybe if we believe the scaremongering from UKIP we may get a huge influx in 2014 after Jan 1st?? Time will tell :)

The EU has gone through very tough times. Economically more so of recent. It's not it's fault but rather national leaders who by no fault of their own really are looking out for their own interests nationally. We can't ask Angela Merkel and Germany to give more aid to Greece because it's strong economically. She knows her electorate would note stand for that so she is constrained by her position.

The next few years are critical for the EU now but if it can survive an economic and national crisis. It can survive war. Anything Russia would like to throw at it too.

The UK referendum will be interesting too. Let's hope we see a both sides for and against the EU properly represented. People aren't educated on enough of the benefits of the EU so unfortunately we see what UKIP do in the papers or TV screens. For me Mr. Farage is full of hot air. I see this when it's his turn to speak and he so readily insults other people in the EU parliament mocking them.

Hope everyone is okay.
Dirk, I can't believe I didn't see you message a few years sooner!

I agree. Loss of soverinity is a non issue. In fact the EU does so much to protect it! Lots of exclusive foods such as Brie, Fenland Celery and Melton Mowbray Pork Pies are protected under EU law to prohibit the names being manufactured and sold elsewhere.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Melton_Mow ... der_the_EU
Come on guys, we all know that protectionism leads to collapse and is completely un-economically viable.

True, True, True. We may have to learn this the hard way though. Our government cannot lead and some of our people are near indoctrinated.
Last edited by appleton on Tue Dec 17, 2013 1:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence, are usually the slaves of some defunct economist. Madmen in authority, who hear voices in the air, are distilling their frenzy from some academic scribbler of a few years back" - John Maynard Keynes