New EU members

Discuss European Politics here.
DodgeFB
Gifted Member
Political Stand:

RE: New EU members

Post by DodgeFB » Tue Jan 02, 2007 4:34 am

Good to know!Image
The opinions expressed are solely of the writer.

"You can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." - Immanuel Kant

Lad
Global Moderator
Political Stand:

Post by Lad » Tue Jan 02, 2007 11:49 am

The Conservative government took us in to the Common Market, which later developed and developed and became the almighty institution it is now. However, membership of the EU is actually a liberal value, the real right conservatives (there are very few of them) here want to be out. Sadly the opposition here (the Conservatives) are happy to be in the EU. So much for conservatism.
War does not determine who is right, war determines who is left.

Lass
Global Moderator
Political Stand:

Post by Lass » Tue Jan 02, 2007 10:09 pm

Margaret Thatcher was pro the EC (as it was at the time) because of the common market - Tory idea of economics etc. But Thatcher was opposed to much else, and she avoided some of the conditions of entry, as well as securing the infamous 'British rebate'.
Above all, I would teach him to tell the truth ... Truth-telling, I have found, is the key to responsible citizenship. The thousands of criminals I have seen in 40 years of law enforcement have had one thing in common: Every single one was a liar. [JE Hoover]

DodgeFB
Gifted Member
Political Stand:

Post by DodgeFB » Tue Jan 02, 2007 10:12 pm

Ah we remember "Maggie" fondly! :cool0012:

Lass
Global Moderator
Political Stand:

Post by Lass » Tue Jan 02, 2007 10:18 pm

[quote=DodgeFB]
Ah we remember "Maggie" fondly! :cool0012:
[/quote]

Lol; I take it that's not serious. ;) I've never heard anyone seriously say they remember Maggie fondly! For all that, I'd much rather her than the two that have taken her place in Number 10 since.

EDIT :: Didn't want to double post, so I'm putting this here. Some info on these new EU members and what they are due to cost the UK. Well worth a read... there's obviously some very badly-off people in these places. But I don't see that the cost to us is justified because of that. After all there are even more badly-off people in African countries ...

Here's the link: http://www.express.co.uk/news_detail.html?sku=981
Last edited by Lass on Tue Jan 02, 2007 10:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Above all, I would teach him to tell the truth ... Truth-telling, I have found, is the key to responsible citizenship. The thousands of criminals I have seen in 40 years of law enforcement have had one thing in common: Every single one was a liar. [JE Hoover]

DodgeFB
Gifted Member
Political Stand:

Post by DodgeFB » Tue Jan 02, 2007 10:23 pm

I am serious! She was a good friend to the US and our president. And we backed her when she had that little problem in the Falkland Islands. (Islas Malvinas)
President Ronald Reagan also thought highly of her. :cool0012:

Lad
Global Moderator
Political Stand:

Post by Lad » Tue Jan 02, 2007 10:26 pm

She made the big mistake of thinking that she was invincible and the opposition couldn't trouble her. When she introduced the poll tax the UK saw its biggest riots and ironically it was the party that held a vote of no confidence in her and out she went. Say her name and people say poll tax. It is partly why the Conservatives have done so bad since they left government.
Last edited by Lad on Tue Jan 02, 2007 10:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DodgeFB
Gifted Member
Political Stand:

Post by DodgeFB » Tue Jan 02, 2007 10:28 pm

[quote=Lad]
She made the big mistake of thinking that she was invincible and the opposition couldn't trouble her. When she introduced the poll tax the UK saw its biggest riots and ironically it was the party that held a vote of no confidence in her and out she went. Say her name and people say poll tax. It is partly why the Conservatives have done so bad since they left government.
[/quote]
That is why we like her. She did not try to "poll tax" us. :biggrin:

Lass
Global Moderator
Political Stand:

Post by Lass » Tue Jan 02, 2007 10:30 pm

[quote=DodgeFB]
I am serious! She was a good friend to the US and our president. And we backed her when she had that little problem in the Falkland Islands. (Islas Malvinas)
President Ronald Reagan also thought highly of her. :cool0012:
[/quote]

I say, neat! :P Glad some people like her. She made a half decent PM, which is a great deal more than can be said for most of our other modern ones. But, one thing ... I didn't know the US backed us during the Falklands War??? News to me! Thought you looked on and nodded approvingly, and no more than that lol. Would love to be corrected. ;)

Lad
Global Moderator
Political Stand:

Post by Lad » Tue Jan 02, 2007 10:34 pm

Well I think the US approved the action in the same way the UN does... ;)