Discuss European Politics here.
DodgeFB
Gifted Member
Political Stand:

RE: New EU members

Post by DodgeFB » Tue Jan 02, 2007 10:39 pm

[quote=Lass]
[quote=DodgeFB]
I am serious! She was a good friend to the US and our president. And we backed her when she had that little problem in the Falkland Islands. (Islas Malvinas)
President Ronald Reagan also thought highly of her. :cool0012:
[/quote]

I say, neat! :P Glad some people like her. She made a half decent PM, which is a great deal more than can be said for most of our other modern ones. But, one thing ... I didn't know the US backed us during the Falklands War??? News to me! Thought you looked on and nodded approvingly, and no more than that lol. Would love to be corrected. ;)
[/quote]
It was one of those yes you are right and if you need anything let us know. More of a 2nd I would say. The US held her coat while she took care of business. :cool0012: Best I remember you really did not need anyone to actually fight. I watched it on TV. Very impressed by your pilots skills.

And that lady had plenty of spunk. Very forceful in her opinions for a woman leader at that time. I would like to have her here today! I truly like her.
Last edited by DodgeFB on Tue Jan 02, 2007 10:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The opinions expressed are solely of the writer.

"You can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." - Immanuel Kant

Lass
Global Moderator
Political Stand:

Post by Lass » Tue Jan 02, 2007 10:41 pm

Good on yah, Dodge. ;)

I edited one of my posts up there ^^ to avoid double posting, and added this link. http://www.express.co.uk/news_detail.html?sku=981 But y'all probably missed it as it was not a whole new post. It kinda brings us back to the subject in hand, and it's a jolly good article IMHO. :P
Last edited by Lass on Tue Jan 02, 2007 10:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Above all, I would teach him to tell the truth ... Truth-telling, I have found, is the key to responsible citizenship. The thousands of criminals I have seen in 40 years of law enforcement have had one thing in common: Every single one was a liar. [JE Hoover]

Lad
Global Moderator
Political Stand:

Post by Lad » Tue Jan 02, 2007 10:46 pm

She was very powerful and had a very commanding character to her. She could turn her head in a very dignified manner, half close her eyes and lower her voice which made her very imposing. Not that I remember her in office of course as I wasn't born until 1987. :tongue:

With regards to the Falklands we lost a number of troops there. 255 died and over 700 wounded.
http://www.iwm.org.uk/server/show/ConWebDoc.2477

It was more principle that we invaded there rather for any other reason. Barely anyone lives over there and it is hardly a great asset to the UK, it's just that the people there want to remain British.
War does not determine who is right, war determines who is left.

DodgeFB
Gifted Member
Political Stand:

Post by DodgeFB » Tue Jan 02, 2007 10:48 pm

I book marked that. I will need to read it again later. I must have it wrong. You are not going to pay people to stay away are you? That sounds like some kind of extortion to me.

Lass
Global Moderator
Political Stand:

Post by Lass » Tue Jan 02, 2007 11:20 pm

Above all, I would teach him to tell the truth ... Truth-telling, I have found, is the key to responsible citizenship. The thousands of criminals I have seen in 40 years of law enforcement have had one thing in common: Every single one was a liar. [JE Hoover]

DodgeFB
Gifted Member
Political Stand:

Post by DodgeFB » Tue Jan 02, 2007 11:24 pm

Either way UK is getting it's pockets picked. But I know we are a little rougher around the edges than the UK. I want to bite any hand I find in my pocket. I am sure you will do the "right" thing over there. :cool0012:
Last edited by DodgeFB on Tue Jan 02, 2007 11:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lad
Global Moderator
Political Stand:

Post by Lad » Wed Jan 03, 2007 12:31 am

DodgeFB
Gifted Member
Political Stand:

Post by DodgeFB » Wed Jan 03, 2007 1:23 am

Lad
Global Moderator
Political Stand:

Post by Lad » Wed Jan 03, 2007 2:08 am

The old Britain has gone. It went AWOL on 1972 when we joined the EU or Common Market as all it was back then. But I can't complain anymore as Matt will be crying at all my negative comments. I haven't quite cracked why he is pro-europe, but lots of people are. ;) (Sorry Matt). :tongue:

To be honest though, if we pulled out of Europe tomorrow, the UK economy would probably go into recession and there could be a total economic collapse. I doubt the government would ever risk such a very possible event and so I can't see anything changing. It is worth noting that the number of parties and voters against the EU are increasing both in the UK and across Europe.

The UK Indepedence Party is a party that (obviously) wants us out of Europe. It was founded in 1993 and in the last General Election in 2005 in received 618,000 votes, but was unable to pick up any seats in parliament. Extroadinarily though it picked up 2.18million votes for the European elections and 12 our of the available 89 seats in the European Parliament! I would vote for the party, but I have no rep for my area. :(
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Kin ... ence_Party

DodgeFB
Gifted Member
Political Stand:

Post by DodgeFB » Wed Jan 03, 2007 2:38 am

Could you run?