The Lockerbie bomber.

Discuss European Politics here.

Moderators: Lass, Lad

Lad
Global Moderator
Political Stand:

The Lockerbie bomber.

Post by Lad »

Is he innocent? Well he always maintained it, however if our courts are to be trusted his is guilty of murdering hundreds of people. I feel he is likely to become a political pawn between the UK and Libya. His sentence for the murders of 270 people is disgusting. He is serving 27 years; yes, that is just 5.2 weeks per person.

I can only work on the assumption he is guilty as that is what his conviction stands as and I think it gut wrenching to envisage this guy walking free - perhaps even before 27 years is up. What is our government thinking of?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/sou ... 226290.stm
A three-year review of the case of the Lockerbie bomber has been completed and will be published next week, it has been announced.

A commission has been re-examining evidence about the atrocity in which 270 people died when a Pan Am jet was blown up over the town in 1988.

The only person convicted - Abdelbaset Ali Mohmed al-Megrahi - has always protested his innocence.

It is thought the review will recommend he be granted a second appeal.

Persistent doubts

Lawyers representing al-Megrahi have always maintained he was the victim of a miscarriage of justice.

An early appeal failed in 2002 despite persistent doubts that the Libyan agent could have been responsible.

The Scottish Criminal Cases Review Commission will report next Thursday.

Al-Megrahi is currently being held in Gateside Prison, Greenock, near Glasgow, as he serves life for killing 270 people.
Last edited by Lad on Thu Jun 21, 2007 10:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
War does not determine who is right, war determines who is left.

Lass
Global Moderator
Political Stand:

RE: The Lockerbie bomber.

Post by Lass »

I missed this ... or maybe read it on an unusually chaotic day lol.

If he's guilty he ought not to be still alive. Prison sentence for killing 270 people! It's sickening. Innocent? Given the state of our "justice" system, that's quite possible ...
Above all, I would teach him to tell the truth ... Truth-telling, I have found, is the key to responsible citizenship. The thousands of criminals I have seen in 40 years of law enforcement have had one thing in common: Every single one was a liar. [JE Hoover]

Lad
Global Moderator
Political Stand:

Post by Lad »

It seems quite a few people missed it. I can't remember exactly, but I think the US wants him too for charges.
War does not determine who is right, war determines who is left.

appleton
Technical Administrator
Political Stand: Liberal

Post by appleton »

Well, If two nations have charges against him I can only see him as guilty I guess.

There might even be another nation who has charges on him too.
"Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence, are usually the slaves of some defunct economist. Madmen in authority, who hear voices in the air, are distilling their frenzy from some academic scribbler of a few years back" - John Maynard Keynes