EU free market?

Discuss European Politics here.
mjuarez
Political Stand:

EU free market?

Post by mjuarez » Wed Sep 30, 2009 10:58 am

The Lisbon Treaty is supposedly progressing towards further integration, is it in every sector? The European Commission is pushing for its ratification in MS but the truth is that if referenda were held in more MS than in those where it is compulsory, we may see that citizens may well say NO. Citizens across Europe are becoming much more demanding with the EU asking them to end a sort of project where a political elite decides which sector is going to be part of integration and which sector is not going to be depending on their own needs. Ordinary people now also want to have a say!

For example, if you take the Single Market for too long the EU has been hypocritical about which sector is included within the Single Market and which sector is not; take, for instance, agriculture, public services, gambling, amongst other sectors. Please have a look at
http://www.right2bet.net, where you will get a sense of what I am talking about and you may sign a petition in favour of a more integrationist Single Market

Marcos
Last edited by mjuarez on Wed Sep 30, 2009 11:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

NewsJunkie
Political Stand:

RE: EU free market?

Post by NewsJunkie » Wed Sep 30, 2009 11:25 am

I've admit right off the bat, I've never been the EU's biggest fan. I can get on board with free trade, that's fine, it helps economies grow and the interdepence should lead to less conflicts. In terms of the politics of the organisation, well I've never heard many convincing arguments to support the need for political integration. Surely the more sovereignty we seed to a higher body, the less accountable those forming policies are to those who are effected by those policies. I think it was Montesquieu who argued for subsidiarity - decisions being made at the most local level possible.

Anyway, I'm digressing. If, as you point out, the EU isn't even adopting its free trade agenda across the board, then this is pretty calamitous for the organisation, surely. It's messing up it's only desirable feature! I didn't make total sense of what you were saying mjuarez, but I had a look at the http://www.right2bet.net website and see the problem with the regulations on gambling at least. Smacks of populist governments seeking to penalise an industry which is soft with values voters. If parties wonder why people lose faith in politics, it's becuase of this kind of hypocrisy - supporting a principle like free trade and but then making exceptions when it's politically convenient. It's cowardice.
Last edited by NewsJunkie on Wed Sep 30, 2009 11:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

marcsten
Political Stand:

Post by marcsten » Thu Oct 01, 2009 11:16 am

This kind of thing is very bad news for the EU, if you ask me. The chief way that the EU can sell itself to its citizenry is by doing what it has always supposed to do - promote economic prosperity. By cynically excluding certain sectors from the benefits of free trade, it really does undermine confidence in itself.

Can anyone explain why gambling is not subject to free trade? I understand governments wanting to protect public services - even agriculture (powerful lobbies) - but not gambling? Are there state monopolies that they're protecting (which is what public services basically are)?

jameshock
Political Stand:

Post by jameshock » Thu Apr 08, 2010 6:35 am

The E U is an economic and political union of 27 member states,located primarily in Europe. connected to regional integration, the EU was established by the Treaty of Maastricht in 1993 upon the foundations of the European Communities.With over 500 million citizens, the EU combined generates an estimated 30% share of the nominal gross world product and about 22% of the PPP gross world product.
Last edited by jameshock on Thu Apr 08, 2010 8:00 am, edited 1 time in total.