Road Safety

Where all the blog posts go that end up on the front page!
philbell
Political Stand:

Road Safety

Post by philbell » Fri Feb 08, 2008 10:35 pm

I have been reading some articles about road safety and how time lapse cameras and reduced speed limits are the way forward to reduce the number of injuries and deaths in youngster on the roads.

Over the last 20 years there have been huge increases in car safety etc, to prevent injuries to pedestrians in the event of an accident.

In this period, despite the rise in the number of cars on the road, the numbers have fluctuated but have generally reduced slightly. It is difficult to quantify exactly as it is complex trying to make sense of the statistics and there are many factors to take in to consideration. The general constant is that the higher the speed the higher the risk of serious injury or death, though once again the figures do improve with the years as the cars get safer, but the figures don’t show the ages of vehicle involved. So again this is not an exact science.

One thing that has changed for the worst though, that is the lack of education given to our children on road safety. What happened to Tufty and the Green Cross Road Man? They are never on the TV anymore. When I was at school we had the Traffic Safety Officer in a few times a month, telling horror stories about what happens if you aren’t careful on the roads. I know for a fact that this doesn’t happen anymore as I work in a school and in the last 5 years there have been no such visits.

The thing is all of the blame is now laid upon the motorist for the figures (There are a lot of terrible drivers out there but that’s another story). Surely the pedestrians should take some of the blame!! After all it is them that are on the road, where they should be looking out for danger before crossing.

This week alone I have had several close calls with mainly teenagers just assuming they are invulnerable to anything and just walking out in front of my car without looking. Too absorbed in their iPods or on their mobiles or in groups just walking down the road and dicing with death. Just earlier tonight a group of teenagers wandered across a main dual carriageway in front of me, although the left hand lane was going slow, they stepped out into the right lane in front of a car at full speed without looking and if the driver had not been more alert it would have been absolute carnage. The driver that managed to miss them was in total shock. Was too shaken to drive on for some time and was in shock despite not hitting anyone, if that had been any of the other drivers I have been behind this week who knows what would have happened.

The point I’m trying to make is that to a point, the safer you try to make the roads for pedestrians, the more danger you can actually make!! If everybody assumes all the onus is on the driver, then the pedestrian doesn’t have to be aware. Should there not be more education about the dangers of the road? Not just put towards the motorist but to anybody that uses the road even if it is on foot. If I cannot concentrate properly driving while on my mobile, can a pedestrian crossing the road be any better?

All I am saying is why do our kids have no road sense? If they did a lot of these deaths and injuries would be avoided. Don’t just blame it on the motorist. The more the kids are wrapped up in cotton wool, the more danger they COULD be in.

Lad
Global Moderator
Political Stand:

RE: Road Safety

Post by Lad » Sat Feb 09, 2008 1:41 pm

An interesting topic. My parents always taught me these things, but I think they should be taught in schools. I was only taught the traffic lights, red, amber, green. I don't ever remember a word on road safety. I know a teacher in her late forties/early fifties and she had been teaching all her life. She told me she has taught over 50 children who have been killed as teenagers. She said almost all of them in accidents on the road. I was astonished at such an awful figure. I have only spent about 30-40 hours behind the wheel and I have nearly collided several times with pedestrians. Most were teenagers just not looking where they were going.
I certainly think that big dangers to society should be taught in every year in primary. Drink driving, drugs, alcohol abuse, road safety and so on should all be drilled into the younger generation.
War does not determine who is right, war determines who is left.

Romulus111VADT
Gifted Member
Political Stand:

Post by Romulus111VADT » Sat Feb 09, 2008 4:44 pm

I guess it's just me and my up bringing. I've always figured it this way, "My car/truck have nothing to prove." It doesn't care if the other vehicles on the road are faster or better looking, so why should I care? Maybe it's old age and experience that makes me think this way, I have no idea. Maybe it's my experiences in Vietnam that put life in a perspective of what really matters.
Last edited by Romulus111VADT on Sat Feb 09, 2008 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lad
Global Moderator
Political Stand:

Post by Lad » Sat Feb 09, 2008 7:08 pm

Yeah, but these teenagers like to immitate racing drivers, they like the thrill of danger, high speeds etc. They know they are gambling with life and they think they can cheat it. If you took the danger out of it, it would no longer be exciting. Going "slow" (i.e the speed limit) is probably seen as weak and feeble and they want to look big and strong. Quite sad really.

Romulus111VADT
Gifted Member
Political Stand:

Post by Romulus111VADT » Sun Feb 10, 2008 1:00 pm

If they need the thrill of danger, pack them all off to the military and let them serve their countries is a more constructive way. I'm sure after serving a couple of tours in a combat zone, the thrill won't be so intoxicating.

Lad
Global Moderator
Political Stand:

Post by Lad » Mon Feb 11, 2008 8:55 am

Ah! But that would involve working, plus most of them would be too unfit to serve. They wouldn't pass the medical or the fitness tests. Probably every single one of those died was a heavy drinker, smoker and some would have been using drugs on a regular basis. Most couldn't stand the discipline either, having no respect in school or at home. The days when the army was particularly attractive to idiots with no future or life is long gone. That class of people now sit on governmnet benefits. Why work when you can play?

bradleyjohnsonjr.us
Political Stand:

Post by bradleyjohnsonjr.us » Mon Feb 11, 2008 9:27 am

you know What i have been thinking about this topic The driving laws have been getting stricter as far as using cellphones while driving this point is heading towards to the point of they may insert a chip in us or find some way to control us, Not just for talking on the cellphone while driving but doing everything else driving is one of them.

You can get a ticket in California for talking on the cell unless you have a ear peace or bluetooth. My point of this topic is mainly the Government will find a way to control us, Driving is one of them.
[quote=Lad]
Ah! But that would involve working, plus most of them would be too unfit to serve. They wouldn't pass the medical or the fitness tests. Probably every single one of those died was a heavy drinker, smoker and some would have been using drugs on a regular basis. Most couldn't stand the discipline either, having no respect in school or at home. The days when the army was particularly attractive to idiots with no future or life is long gone. That class of people now sit on governmnet benefits. Why work when you can play?
[/quote]

appleton
Technical Administrator
Political Stand: Liberal

Post by appleton » Mon Feb 11, 2008 3:51 pm

Well, I think the driving exam can be beefed up a little. Showing some gory images on the theory test could work and beefing it up to 80 questions would be better too. 35 or 50 questions way too easy.

Speed isn't given respect in the U.K.

My cousin died in a car crash in 2003 (I still don't know what possessed his friend to drive that fast to this day) but my cousin could have told him to slow down or not enter his car at all. After his death we found out my cousins friend didn't have a full license (He only passed his theory) and had no insurance :icon_rolleyes:

If people choose to be complete twats so be it! However I think moving the legal driving age up would also stop this irresponsibility. 17 year olds are basically kids. If I was prime minister I would move the legal driver age up to 21 not 18, 21! As everyone can see with the alarming amount of teenage pregnancy's at 16 etc only by moving the legal ages up we can stop idiots from doing stupid things.

It's easy driving fast like a racing driver but roads aren't made for that and you aren't a racing driver. If people want the thrill of speed they can take there cars round silverstone and stop putting innocent lives at risk.
"Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence, are usually the slaves of some defunct economist. Madmen in authority, who hear voices in the air, are distilling their frenzy from some academic scribbler of a few years back" - John Maynard Keynes

Lad
Global Moderator
Political Stand:

Post by Lad » Mon Feb 11, 2008 5:08 pm

18 definately. If you raise it to 21 you really slap the 16year old school leavers. What they supposed to do if they want to set up their own business? I know a few people who just couldn't work.

i have always been a fan of the shock tactics. Drugs, drink the lot should be all graphically and frightningly displayed to children. Scare the life out of them. It'll do them heaps of good and society. This should be started in school, perhaps at the age of 10. Starting out learning these things when you start driving is too late.

I think registering a certain number of hours with a qualified driving instructor wouldn't be a bad thing. Maybe 10 or 15 hours. Maybe they should also have to sign saying that they think the driver is sensible and mature enough to drive too.
The absurd teenage pregnancy rate just shows how irresponsible people are in general. Boys and girls.

bradleyjohnsonjr.us
Political Stand:

Post by bradleyjohnsonjr.us » Tue Feb 12, 2008 9:01 am

Well I think that this boils down to the parents because the parents are the ones that also have to sign to approve them for driving to get their drivers license in school.

I don't know about going to the DMV to take the test there and you get it but the parents need to give them a chance to prove them selves and make understand the rules of the road, However you cannot change what teenagers choices they make.

We all have free will like if you speed along an ally with 50-50 percent chance of a cop being their but the cop is not the point the point is Knowing right from wrong, along with we do have a right to make a decision. Now wheather its good or bad thats upon the person making that decision, now when you talk about driving some times you may not have a choice to have a decison because your decision could lead to death or injury or to others. We all have to realize that the most part of that involves the parents because the parents are the ones that let their kids go out and not knowing where they are at, or even having them call them every 2 hours or so, so they know that they are ok. The parents are the ones not taking responsibility for this I am not saying it is fully 100% the parents fault because the parents can only do so much but the most parents are not even doing their job as parents, Then they wonder why their kids get taken from them.. what do you think of this