Fuel Protests

Where all the blog posts go that end up on the front page!
philbell
Political Stand:

Fuel Protests

Post by philbell » Wed May 28, 2008 2:30 am

It is looking like we could be heading for another blockade over fuel duty in the near future. I understand that oil per barrel is constantly rising and hence fuel prices are rising. What I don't fully understand is exactly how fuel duty is broken down, I wonder if anybody can help.

Forget about the taxes on the oil companies, I just want to understand properly the amount of tax I am paying on a litre of fuel.

Clearly the government takes VAT. So the more expensive it gets the more tax they take in that respect. Every budget though they add a penny or 2 a litre, this has been happening for as long as I remember, so surely over the last 30 years they have added 50p a litre at least and then chare VAT on top!! These are conservative figures but despite trying to research this properly I am still not sure what is what with them. This is why I need help in the breakdown of the figures.

One thing that cannot be disputed is the fact that as fuel prices rise, the tax we are paying on it is rising at a rate that is simply lining the coffers in Whitehall!!

Romulus111VADT
Gifted Member
Political Stand:

RE: Fuel Protests

Post by Romulus111VADT » Thu May 29, 2008 4:49 pm

I know nothing about how fuel is taxed in the UK or Europe. But I can offer a perspective from the US of gas and it's costs over the years.

My grandmother talked about how outrageous fuel prices were during the depression at .15 cents per gal.

My dad raised cane about the price of fuel in the 50's at .25 and in the 1960's at .50 cents per gallon.

My generation paid .75 in the 1970's, .85 cents in the 1980's. and .95 cents in the 1990's.

So from the 1920's through the 1990's, fuel increased about 1.00 (approx.). So it took 80 years for the price to raise one dollar. So far since 2000 the price has gone up nearly 3 dollars per gallon. In just 8 years it has quadrupled in price.

It shows you what happens when caring for your customers is replaced with corporate greed. The bottom line and 40 Billion dollars in profit (Just one US company) are more important than the welfare of the world community.

Oil has gone from black gold to blackmail/extortion. You either pay the price we want, or you starve. The rape of the nation continues.

BTW, did you realize that at least in the US that no vehicle of either the Federal, State or local governments pay any tax at all on their fuel. We the People, we pay the fuel taxes.
Last edited by Romulus111VADT on Thu May 29, 2008 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Romulus111VADT
Gifted Member
Political Stand:

Post by Romulus111VADT » Thu May 29, 2008 7:54 pm

Want to get REALLY PO'ED!

Check out this story- http://articles.moneycentral.msn.com/In ... 80524.aspx

"Investors Business Daily estimates there are 1 trillion barrels of oil trapped in shale in the U.S. and Canada. Retrieving just a 10th of it would quadruple our current oil reserves. There is a pool of oil in the Gulf of Mexico that is estimated to be as large as any in the Middle East. There is an equally large pool believed to be in Alaska.

The Chinese are attempting to tap into the Gulf oil supply by drilling diagonally from Cuba. I wonder what environmental safeguards they are using?

The fact is that there are environmentally safe methods of extracting oil from shale and drilling in both the Gulf and Alaska. Congress, however, continues to block these efforts. Just last week, the Senate voted to block any extraction from shale in Colorado. In essence, they voted to make your trips to the gas station more expensive, to make air travel more expensive, and to make heating your home more expensive.

That's something to think about in an election year."

philbell
Political Stand:

Post by philbell » Fri May 30, 2008 12:34 am

Another point to this is that there has been a push to 'Carbon Neutral' fuels such as ethanol from rapeseed etc which is all very well and good for the envioronment but it is causing a problem for the poorer countries as it is creating a lack of food worldwide and hence increasing food prices.

If all of the grain farmers in say the UK and US start growing fuel instead of food, as it brings better profits, then it creates a greater demand for grain from abroad, increases food prices, affects the poorer countries and the starving the worst. It is a lose lose situation, so what is the answer?

Leaving the car for a moment to go into the home I know from a fact my boiler loses most of its energy through the exhaust gases and heat off them, can this not be re-used? You can see all of the heat hazes rising in to the air on a winters night.

Back to the car, the car companies are developing Hydrogen fuel cell vehicles, but the conversion of the gas takes just as much energy to harness as it saves. With the most abundant element on the panet is it not possible in this day and age to harness it quickly and easily to use it as fuel? there are a lot of claims on this but how true they are I do not know.

The car companies are looking at Hydrogen fuel cells and developing hydrogen powered engines