Heroin v Methadone

Where all the blog posts go that end up on the front page!
philbell
Political Stand:

Heroin v Methadone

Post by philbell » Fri May 30, 2008 1:15 am

It has been announced that in Scotland they are going to try to reduce the usage of Methadone in trying to get addicts off Heroin.

HOORAY!! At last somebody has seen sense!!!

Using one drug to get an addict off another was never going to work. Most Heroin addicts use methadone to get between one proper fix and the next. They do not use it as a crutch to get off heroin. Even if they did the fact is they would still be hooked on methadone!! Many actually sell their methadone prescription in order to get the real thing.

I do not doubt that a smalll number of people will use the system as intended, but it is the minority by a large margin. I have a lot of experience with addiction and people who have been affected by different kinds of drugs. I know for a fact that treating heroin with methadone is a waste of time unless it is under controlled circumstances. From what I understand the only reason it was ever offered on presciption was to try to reduce crime by giving the addicts a fix instead of raising money for drugs. The fact is this just gives addicts a fix in the short term and does not help anybody in the long term.

I have never understood why people even touch heroin or crack and the like. They are dirty drugs and eveybody knows that it doesn't take long to get hooked. From my understanding it is people that are rock bottom in their lives and have nothing to live for anyway and that is the excuse but in reality if you stand back and take a look at the reality many (not all) of these lives are not as bad as they are seen to be.

I have met and worked with many people who have faced up to their problems, people who have been addicted to the 'hardest drugs' and have come through the other side really good nice proper people. You know what the hardest drug to come off that the people dealt with is? Alcohol!! Don't get me wrong, I drink myself, but I think the people that have the hardest addiction to beat is alcohol. Not only is it physically as bad or worse than heroin but it is constantly in your face as you try to get through it. Put the TV on and they are all in the pub!! It is in your face constantly. Coro, Eastenders, Emerdale..... they all in the pub!!!

Drz23
Political Stand:

RE: Heroin v Methadone

Post by Drz23 » Fri May 30, 2008 2:06 am

Good point on alcohol. The hardest part of getting off is to resist temptation, when temptation is always around and always in your face it makes things so much harder. Good read!

johnruddock
Political Stand:

Post by johnruddock » Tue Jun 03, 2008 11:51 am

[quote=Drz23]
Good point on alcohol. The hardest part of getting off is to resist temptation, when temptation is always around and always in your face it makes things so much harder. Good read!
[/quote]

And then,of course there's the fags,but we seem to be winning on that one.In the 1960's 80% of men smoked.Now its down to 20%.

semiferger
Political Stand:

Post by semiferger » Sat Feb 20, 2010 5:09 am

Good job with the methadone it has helped many people.I just recently relapsed and that was after 3 months on suboxone, so basically what i am saying is good luck but it is easy to lose yourself in all of the again, and look into suboxone if you ever have and problems with methadone, suboxone is a great drug to get anyone off any opiate.