He got 8.5 years.

Political conversation and debate. Law, Immigration, and Climate Change.
Lad
Global Moderator
Political Stand:

He got 8.5 years.

Post by Lad » Thu Mar 13, 2008 7:58 pm

Not the worst sentence the judge could have given him, but I'd be interested to know what he would have got if he had committed these crimes in the US?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/edi ... 293651.stm

Anyone from the US willing to make some assumptions on how he would have fared there?
War does not determine who is right, war determines who is left.

Dom
Political Stand:

RE: He got 8.5 years.

Post by Dom » Fri Mar 14, 2008 3:47 pm

Attempted murder is basically as bad as actual murder, if you ask me. The old saying says "it's the thought that counts", and I think that applies here. 8.5 years for wanting to kill someone isn't really enough, although with the prison systems being what they are, they probably cant give any more time if they wanted to.

As a side note, I noticed this quote in the article:
She recalled how she had locked herself in her room during the "frightening" incident.
I understand the reason for putting the word "frightening" in quotation marks there, but it almost makes it look as though the journalist is being sarcastic... :P :P :P
Last edited by Dom on Sat Apr 12, 2008 11:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Lad
Global Moderator
Political Stand:

Post by Lad » Mon Mar 17, 2008 8:29 am

The prisons are now full. That is not correct. They are overflowing. They are spewing out the sex offenders, murderers and other violent people by the dozen to make way for the latest inmates. I wonder if anyone in government has stopped to look at the trend of dangerous people milling around in our society per 1000 people? One thing for certain is that the number will not be on the decrease.

Dom
Political Stand:

Post by Dom » Mon Mar 17, 2008 9:16 am

Capital punishment FTW!!

:P :P :P

periphrastic
Political Stand:

Post by periphrastic » Tue Apr 01, 2008 4:58 am

[quote=Lad]
The prisons are now full. That is not correct. They are overflowing. They are spewing out the sex offenders, murderers and other violent people by the dozen to make way for the latest inmates. I wonder if anyone in government has stopped to look at the trend of dangerous people milling around in our society per 1000 people? One thing for certain is that the number will not be on the decrease.
[/quote]

What's a "dangerous" person?

Lad
Global Moderator
Political Stand:

Post by Lad » Fri Apr 11, 2008 9:39 pm

People who have done 12 years for murder. First time sex offenders who have done a couple of months, guys who have bottled someone and got community service and compulsory anger management classes. Those sort of people. Everytime you go shopping on a Saturday afternoon at your shopping centre just remember you will almost certainly see sex offenders, drug dealers thieves, maybe murderers and more every single time. Just because they don't wear labels - they are still there shopping alongside you.

ford007
Political Stand:

Post by ford007 » Thu Jan 29, 2009 4:27 pm

UK law system is complete joke. Even if you kill some one you'll be out in around 4-5 years. Labor party is destroying UK. (Also, it should be noted that UK prisons are the most luxurious ones in the world, where prisoners spend time by playing XBOX games).
Enough of (ZA)Nu Labor. BNP is the only real alternative.

anildewani
Political Stand:

Post by anildewani » Thu Jan 29, 2009 7:29 pm

now thats an real unfair..for a murder case an 8.5 years jail is really less. and yah. as ford007 said..that UK prisoners can be found playing XBOX games..this is really sad.. People who do wrong must suffer, and thats it ! I hope one day their will be strict punishments for atleast doing a murder of someone !