Discuss Middle East Politics here.

Moderators: Lass, Lad

Lad
Global Moderator
Political Stand:

Saddam trial flawed

Post by Lad »

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/middle ... 163938.stm

We all know he is guilty. A wicked man who slaughted hundreds of thousands which started from before he even became President. Go ahead and dispatch him - the trial was purely academic and they had to have one just for the principle of it.
War does not determine who is right, war determines who is left.

Lass
Global Moderator
Political Stand:

RE: Saddam trial flawed

Post by Lass »

Better off in the Middle East section...?

The trial ought to be fair & as accurate as possible, though you'd have to be demented to seriously believe him not guilty. :P
Above all, I would teach him to tell the truth ... Truth-telling, I have found, is the key to responsible citizenship. The thousands of criminals I have seen in 40 years of law enforcement have had one thing in common: Every single one was a liar. [JE Hoover]

DodgeFB
Gifted Member
Political Stand:

Post by DodgeFB »

His trial was much better than he ever allowed when he was in charge.
The opinions expressed are solely of the writer.

"You can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." - Immanuel Kant

Lass
Global Moderator
Political Stand:

Post by Lass »

[quote=DodgeFB]
His trial was much better than he ever allowed when he was in charge.
[/quote]

Quite!! And they allowed him way too much liberty in court. The reading out of his sentence was ridiculous - a shouting match.
Above all, I would teach him to tell the truth ... Truth-telling, I have found, is the key to responsible citizenship. The thousands of criminals I have seen in 40 years of law enforcement have had one thing in common: Every single one was a liar. [JE Hoover]

Lad
Global Moderator
Political Stand:

Post by Lad »

In my opinion trying Saddam would have been a bit like trying some of the top leading nazis. They were guilty and the trial was simply a demonstration of applying the laws of a free and moral society. The human rights watch are dim in producing a 98 page document on the loopholes. Saddam, co-blokes and defence team caused most of them by his crazy behaviour in court.

It is of much importance that one individual who was high up in the regime was not sentenced through lack of evidence. Unfortunately for Saddam there was thousands of people still alive to witness against him.

appleton
Technical Administrator
Political Stand: Liberal

Post by appleton »

I just expected this too! Nothing is straight forward where dictators/mass murderers are concerned.
"Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence, are usually the slaves of some defunct economist. Madmen in authority, who hear voices in the air, are distilling their frenzy from some academic scribbler of a few years back" - John Maynard Keynes

Lad
Global Moderator
Political Stand:

Post by Lad »

You'd think they would be the easiest of criminals in reality to convict.
What's wrong with these human rights watch people? Can't they see that despite perhaps the trial was not (perhaps) 100% precisely accurate that it makes no difference to the judgement or his conviction. The evidence doesn't change and neither does history. They gave him a trial, he blew his trumpet the whole time to cause maximum upset and now he is sentenced and that's it. Why stir up more trouble? Human rights indeed! What about the rights of the thousands of people he killed, don't their rights have even the slightest influence on things?
Last edited by Lad on Mon Nov 20, 2006 11:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Romulus111VADT
Gifted Member
Political Stand:

Post by Romulus111VADT »

Yep, he got allot better a trial than people did under his dictatorship. What got me was when he complained about being forced to, "Live in a cage like an animal", man that guy had some nerve after the horrid conditions he left people to rot in under his prison system. They should have put him in the worst cell available so he could see how people suffered that he put in prison.

appleton
Technical Administrator
Political Stand: Liberal

Post by appleton »

Well, Never thought I would say this about someone but.. Hopefully when his neck snaps it will be painful.

I think these human rights people are just blind. The evidence and history was clear for everyone to see.

Matt
"Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence, are usually the slaves of some defunct economist. Madmen in authority, who hear voices in the air, are distilling their frenzy from some academic scribbler of a few years back" - John Maynard Keynes

Romulus111VADT
Gifted Member
Political Stand:

Post by Romulus111VADT »

[quote=matt]
Well, Never thought I would say this about someone but.. Hopefully when his neck snaps it will be painful.

I think these human rights people are just blind. The evidence and history was clear for everyone to see.

Matt
[/quote]

Can you imagine what it would have been like if Hitler had been caught alive and these human rights fanatics started their crap after WWII. OMG, I'd venture to say that they would have been shot as traitors.