Sanctions on Iran

Discuss Middle East Politics here.

Moderators: Lass, Lad

Lad
Global Moderator
Political Stand:

Sanctions on Iran

Post by Lad »

It was inevitable. They are rather watered down and are not even enforceable by military action. China and Russia seem quite keen on their financial dealings with the country. Why they don't drop these for I don't know. I'm surprised it has taken this long too - back in August Iran had a deadline and it ignored it. Now we are nearly at the New Year and only just have mild sanctions been imposed.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/middle ... 205295.stm
War does not determine who is right, war determines who is left.

Luke
Political Stand:

RE: Sanctions on Iran

Post by Luke »

Sanctions seem to me to be very old-fashioned. When other countries who aren't afraid of the UN and don't depend on the West wish to trade with a country, they will - and we will simply be out of the capital from selling to that country. One way or another, people get their goods.
"I invented the Internet." - Al Gore

Lad
Global Moderator
Political Stand:

Post by Lad »

The sanctions are not very strong at the moment. I expect they'll tighten them up though.

DodgeFB
Gifted Member
Political Stand:

Post by DodgeFB »

China and Russia are the ones that need to be pressured on this. Without them foot dragging Iran would fold like a tent in a wind storm. Some of Iran's own people don't like what they are doing. But they usually support "thug" nations.

Last edited by DodgeFB on Mon Dec 25, 2006 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The opinions expressed are solely of the writer.

"You can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." - Immanuel Kant

appleton
Technical Administrator
Political Stand: Liberal

Post by appleton »

[quote=DodgeFB]
China and Russia are the ones that need to be pressured on this. Without them foot dragging Iran would fold like a tent in a wind storm. Some of Iran's own people don't like what they are doing. But they usually support "thug" nations.

[/quote]

Indeed... Although many citizens who oppose the government are force to leave the country for their own safety. Russian moaning about the sanctions being too strong? They are not tough enough. It's clear Iran are not afraid of the UN or anyone else.

I see this Iran problem spiralling out of control because they just keep pushing ahead with this program. I hate to say it but I might just see another war in the future in that region.
Last edited by appleton on Mon Dec 25, 2006 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence, are usually the slaves of some defunct economist. Madmen in authority, who hear voices in the air, are distilling their frenzy from some academic scribbler of a few years back" - John Maynard Keynes

DodgeFB
Gifted Member
Political Stand:

Post by DodgeFB »

Maybe that is why Bush is calling for more soldiers.

Luke
Political Stand:

Post by Luke »

It's inevitable that the West will come into conflict with Iran sometime. To me, it's just a question of when - and how severe the conflict will be. Russia and China obviously support Iran and Korea in their nuclear programs. A worst case scenario IMO, which seems to be slowly playing out, would be that the more powerful Asian nations are gearing up to become a tightly allied group of Eastern powers ready to challenge the Western authority once and for all.
"I invented the Internet." - Al Gore

Lad
Global Moderator
Political Stand:

Post by Lad »

That's what I fear. It's not a question of if, but when. Iran has dug its heels in and while the UN comes up with some feeble sanctions Iran surges ahead to obtaining weapons. North Korea got them - could Iran get them before the end of 2007? Why not? Their planes patrol the airspace above their sites 24/7. We all know what they are up to and it is obvious they have something to hide.

However, despite the fears of the west I believe that if Iran does get nuclear weapons it hasn't gained anything. If they dared to use one, the US, UK and probably most other european countries as well as Israel would just decend on Iran with all negotiations sidelined. If Iran gets the weapons they can't use them for long. Though I hope that never happens.

DodgeFB
Gifted Member
Political Stand:

Post by DodgeFB »

Mahmoud Ahmadinejad says President Bush is the world's most hated person. So we may be first on his list. But I think if he could make a sneak attack on Israel he would go for it. So who knows what a person that feeds on hate will do?Image