Discuss Middle East Politics here.

Moderators: Lass, Lad

appleton
Technical Administrator
Political Stand: Liberal

Israel says will act against Gaza rockets

Post by appleton »

JERUSALEM (Reuters) -
Israel said on Wednesday it would resume attacks against Palestinian militants who fire rockets from the
Gaza Strip but insisted it remained committed to a month-old ceasefire in the territory.
Advertisement

In a statement that appeared to rule out a major military offensive in Gaza, Prime Minister Ehud Olmert's office said: "A directive has been given to the defense establishment to take pinpoint action against rocket-launching squads."

The governing Palestinian Hamas movement said "there is a risk the calm will be blown away by the wind" if Israel resumes what the Islamic militant group termed assassinations.

"There has been almost complete (Israeli) restraint," Israeli Deputy Defense Minister Ephraim Sneh said on Israel Radio. "We have changed this policy."

Olmert has come under growing public criticism for failing to retaliate for more than 60 such attacks from the Gaza Strip since the November 26 truce.

But under international pressure to keep the ceasefire alive, and ahead of a January 4 meeting with Egyptian President
Hosni Mubarak, Olmert had not been expected by Israeli political commentators to order widescale military action that might weaken Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas.

Egyptian Foreign Minister Ahmed Aboul Gheit, speaking after talks with Olmert in Jerusalem, said the summit between the Israeli leader and Mubarak in Egypt next Thursday would be aimed at fostering a "viable peace process" and building Israeli-Palestinian trust.

Israel is keen to bolster the moderate Abbas who has called for early Palestinian elections to try to end a power struggle between his
Fatah movement and the governing Hamas group.

Just hours after the Israeli announcement, Islamic Jihad fired a rocket into southern Israel, causing no casualties.

Militants behind rocket strikes say they are retaliating for Israel's continued pursuit of wanted Palestinians in the occupied
West Bank, where a ceasefire is not in effect.

Israel has killed 15 Palestinians since the Gaza truce began, all but one in the West Bank. About half were gunmen. Two Israelis, both aged 14, were seriously wounded by a Qassam rocket on Tuesday.

"Israel will continue to maintain the ceasefire and work with the
Palestinian Authority so that immediate steps are taken to halt the Qassam firings," Olmert's office said in the statement after he held consultations with security chiefs.

HAMAS BACKS TRUCE

Ghazi Hamad, spokesman for the Hamas-led government, also voiced support for the truce.

"We believe this agreement is still alive and both sides should respect it," Hamad said in Gaza.

But Abu Ahmed, an Islamic Jihad spokesman, said Israel's decision to target rocket squads "will not stop us from continuing our resistance."

He said the truce should be extended to the West Bank otherwise residents of Ashkelon and Sderot, two southern cities that have hit by rockets from Gaza, "will never feel secure."

Responding to the Israeli announcement, Saeb Erekat, a senior Palestinian negotiator and Abbas adviser, said maintaining the truce was in the Palestinian national interest.

"I also urge Israel to refrain from attacking the Palestinians and to be committed to the ceasefire," he said. "Our past experience taught us that violence begets violence and bullets beget bullets."

Olmert and Abbas held long-awaited talks last Saturday, a meeting that ended with an Israeli promise to release $100 million in withheld tax revenues to the moderate leader, bypassing the Hamas-led government.

(Additional reporting by Nidal al-Mughrabi in Gaza and Mohammed Assadi in Ramallah)

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20061227/ts_ ... israel1_dc

Same old, Same old... rockets everywhere, Truces being broken. This will never end!

Just when will the people there feel secure? :icon_confused:
"Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence, are usually the slaves of some defunct economist. Madmen in authority, who hear voices in the air, are distilling their frenzy from some academic scribbler of a few years back" - John Maynard Keynes

Luke
Political Stand:

RE: Israel says will act against Gaza rockets

Post by Luke »

I don't think that region will ever be peaceful simply because of the immense heritage it contains for so many warring groups and because Israel and Israelies are so hated by the Arab nations of the Middle East. I just hope that Israel can continue to defend themselves without other nations trying to tie their hands....
"I invented the Internet." - Al Gore

DodgeFB
Gifted Member
Political Stand:

Post by DodgeFB »

Both sides need someone with enough power to slap both of them down to make them stop and shut up. But I don't see any "honest" opinions there. I know the United States will blame the Palestinians for each and every thing that happens. And if Israel shoots a baby with a tank we will say they did the right thing. And there are others who "see" everything the other way. How can anyone really trust any of these countries to do the right thing.
The opinions expressed are solely of the writer.

"You can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." - Immanuel Kant

Kaz
Political Stand:

Post by Kaz »

I don't think there will ever be peace in that region. There has been too much fighting there since biblical times. What is gonna make them stop now???? :sign0089:

:sign0015:

DodgeFB
Gifted Member
Political Stand:

Post by DodgeFB »

[quote=Kaz]
I don't think there will ever be peace in that region. There has been too much fighting there since biblical times. What is gonna make them stop now???? :sign0089:

:sign0015:
[/quote]

I don't think killing each others family members and blowing up their homes is a very good start to friendship. It just makes the hate stronger. And so many people over there live their entire life knowing only fear and hate..
Last edited by DodgeFB on Thu Dec 28, 2006 3:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The opinions expressed are solely of the writer.

"You can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." - Immanuel Kant

Lad
Global Moderator
Political Stand:

Post by Lad »

yep all true. I believe that because the region has been trouble for thousands of years nothing will change in the next hundred.

However, I see no way of defusing the situation because of the many terrorist groups fighting. If they all but one agree to stop and fight and one continues Israel will attack. Then the others join in and we are back to square one. The fact is that Israelis and Palestinians hate each other and while I think Israel would do anything for peace now, Palestine will never give up its claim to the land and therefore will never stop fighting.

These people are terrorists and believe that suicidal death is a shortcut to paradise. With a nation full of such enthusiasm it's an almost hopeless case for peace. Watch any program on TV on the subject and note how the mum's teach the boys to want to grow up and be suicide bombers. Their parades are full of children with pretend bomb belts. It's just hopeless.
War does not determine who is right, war determines who is left.

Romulus111VADT
Gifted Member
Political Stand:

Post by Romulus111VADT »

Check out this link- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1948_Arab-Israeli_War

It explains allot of what is at the root of the problems.

appleton
Technical Administrator
Political Stand: Liberal

Post by appleton »

Interesting Thanks Rom.

Reading that it's just showing me how complicated things are there. I will need to read this article again just to make sense of it :wink:
"Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence, are usually the slaves of some defunct economist. Madmen in authority, who hear voices in the air, are distilling their frenzy from some academic scribbler of a few years back" - John Maynard Keynes

Romulus111VADT
Gifted Member
Political Stand:

Post by Romulus111VADT »

[quote=matt]
Interesting Thanks Rom.

Reading that it's just showing me how complicated things are there. I will need to read this article again just to make sense of it :wink:
[/quote]

My interruption of it is that basically, the Arabs/Muslims picked a fight with Israel and got their butts kicked in a major way. They're sore losers and have been trying ever since to get back the lands that they lost do to their own aggression.
Last edited by Romulus111VADT on Thu Dec 28, 2006 11:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lass
Global Moderator
Political Stand:

Post by Lass »

I always used to be sympathetic to Israel in the conflict; somehow they come across to be the civilised, responsible(-ish? ;) ) nation that we need in the region. They have nuclear weapons, and they can be trusted with them. But I heard the other side of the story from an old man who was with the British Army in the area after WWII; he sympathised with the Palestinians, and he had good grounds. Would take supreme efforts of my bad memory to remember those good grounds, though, lol. ;) But I just don't have a black-and-white view of the conflict now. There are usually grey areas with issues. We're taught in law school: "There is one of these three answers to every question - 'perhaps', 'maybe' and 'it depends'" - easy, huh?! Lol. ;)
Above all, I would teach him to tell the truth ... Truth-telling, I have found, is the key to responsible citizenship. The thousands of criminals I have seen in 40 years of law enforcement have had one thing in common: Every single one was a liar. [JE Hoover]