Saddam dies

Discuss Middle East Politics here.
Lad
Global Moderator
Political Stand:

Saddam dies

Post by Lad » Sat Dec 30, 2006 9:52 am

Saddam is dead. I think this is great news for Iraq. Now he is out the way there will be a blip in violence and then in the medium to long term things will be better. There is nothing left the insurgents can fight for, but their own pride.

On this link there is video of the final moments before.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/middle ... 218485.stm
War does not determine who is right, war determines who is left.

appleton
Technical Administrator
Political Stand: Liberal

RE: Saddam dies

Post by appleton » Sat Dec 30, 2006 11:23 am

That is good news but I don't see much changing. Simply because there is a set of supporters that support Saddam. These people are probably now angry.
"Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence, are usually the slaves of some defunct economist. Madmen in authority, who hear voices in the air, are distilling their frenzy from some academic scribbler of a few years back" - John Maynard Keynes

Lass
Global Moderator
Political Stand:

Post by Lass » Sat Dec 30, 2006 12:31 pm

'Saddam dies' ... er, about time too ... ;)
Above all, I would teach him to tell the truth ... Truth-telling, I have found, is the key to responsible citizenship. The thousands of criminals I have seen in 40 years of law enforcement have had one thing in common: Every single one was a liar. [JE Hoover]

Romulus111VADT
Gifted Member
Political Stand:

Post by Romulus111VADT » Sat Dec 30, 2006 12:50 pm

Good, it's about time he was sent to hell....[attachment=81]

Luke
Political Stand:

Post by Luke » Sat Dec 30, 2006 5:25 pm

I think we'll have to wait and see about whether the violence will decrease, but it's great news that the world is rid of him.
"I invented the Internet." - Al Gore

Lass
Global Moderator
Political Stand:

Post by Lass » Sat Dec 30, 2006 5:58 pm

In the short term, I don't think his death will do a great deal to help the current situation in Iraq (though I could be wrong there - wish I was). In the long term, I think it will make a big difference. :)
Above all, I would teach him to tell the truth ... Truth-telling, I have found, is the key to responsible citizenship. The thousands of criminals I have seen in 40 years of law enforcement have had one thing in common: Every single one was a liar. [JE Hoover]

KDSM
Political Stand:

Post by KDSM » Sat Dec 30, 2006 7:40 pm

Yes he is finally dead. They disrespected him in every way they could.

1) Killed him on a major Holiday (Eid)
2) Hung him as opposed to fireing squad (apparently hanging is reserved for the lowest of low criminals)

So as the shi'ite rejoice the sunni's get po'ed expect to see violence escalate in the next few days
If your not going to fight a war to win......then dont bother starting it.

appleton
Technical Administrator

Post by appleton » Sat Dec 30, 2006 7:49 pm

1.) Yes, That was a bad decision but I guess it had to be done sometime. The Iraqi government had already said he would be dead before the end of the year.

2.)Well I think the hanging was deserved. Maybe he should have thought about the consequences of his actions all those years ago.

Welcome to the forum! :)
"Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence, are usually the slaves of some defunct economist. Madmen in authority, who hear voices in the air, are distilling their frenzy from some academic scribbler of a few years back" - John Maynard Keynes

KDSM
Political Stand:

Post by KDSM » Sat Dec 30, 2006 7:58 pm

[quote=matt]
1.) Yes, That was a bad decision but I guess it had to be done sometime. The Iraqi government had already said he would be dead before the end of the year.

2.)Well I think the hanging was deserved. Maybe he should have thought about the consequences of his actions all those years ago.

Welcome to the forum! :)
[/quote]

Thanks! :sign0092:

But saddam was a meglomaniac and had delusions of granduer and I beleive he truely thought he was the madi. He got what he deserved.

But I cant help but wonder what would have happened if they soldiers that found him tossed a grenade in his spider hole instead of telling him to come out.
If your not going to fight a war to win......then dont bother starting it.

appleton
Technical Administrator

Post by appleton » Sat Dec 30, 2006 8:12 pm

But I cant help but wonder what would have happened if they soldiers that found him tossed a grenade in his spider hole instead of telling him to come out.
*wonders if the solider would be investigated* Not sure on that one. Saddam would have been blown to bits of course and it would have saved some money (in trial/prison/execution costs) though! :)