Saddam dies

Discuss Middle East Politics here.
DodgeFB
Gifted Member
Political Stand:

RE: Saddam dies

Post by DodgeFB » Sat Dec 30, 2006 8:15 pm

matt wrote:
But I cant help but wonder what would have happened if they soldiers that found him tossed a grenade in his spider hole instead of telling him to come out.
*wonders if the solider would be investigated* Not sure on that one. Saddam would have been blown to bits of course and it would have saved some money (in trial/prison/execution costs) though! :)
But then would the people have believed he was dead? Or would he have been a hero?
The opinions expressed are solely of the writer.

"You can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." - Immanuel Kant

KDSM
Political Stand:

Post by KDSM » Sat Dec 30, 2006 8:45 pm

Dont know....but I heard reports that the interpretor(sp?) told him to come out and it took him so long (probably a few seconds) to respond that they almost did just that.
Last edited by KDSM on Sat Dec 30, 2006 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If your not going to fight a war to win......then dont bother starting it.

Lass
Global Moderator
Political Stand:

Post by Lass » Sat Dec 30, 2006 8:49 pm

It's better the way it turned out, with a trial and everything. We'd probably end up with conspiracy stories ... Saddam Husseins popping up everywhere, claiming leadership of Iraq ... the anti-Saddam Iraqis upset because he was killed without trial ... the pro-Saddam Iraqis upset because he was killed at all ... :P
Above all, I would teach him to tell the truth ... Truth-telling, I have found, is the key to responsible citizenship. The thousands of criminals I have seen in 40 years of law enforcement have had one thing in common: Every single one was a liar. [JE Hoover]

appleton
Technical Administrator
Political Stand: Liberal

Post by appleton » Sat Dec 30, 2006 11:49 pm

[quote=Lass]
It's better the way it turned out, with a trial and everything. We'd probably end up with conspiracy stories ... Saddam Husseins popping up everywhere, claiming leadership of Iraq ... the anti-Saddam Iraqis upset because he was killed without trial ... the pro-Saddam Iraqis upset because he was killed at all ... :P
[/quote]

Agreed, I can just see those conspiracy theorists now. It's good the way it is now... even though the human rights set are complaining about the fact he possibly didn't have a fair trial :icon_rolleyes:
"Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence, are usually the slaves of some defunct economist. Madmen in authority, who hear voices in the air, are distilling their frenzy from some academic scribbler of a few years back" - John Maynard Keynes

jafar00
Political Stand:

Post by jafar00 » Mon Jan 08, 2007 6:34 am

[quote=matt]
[quote=Lass]
[/quote]

Agreed, I can just see those conspiracy theorists now. It's good the way it is now... even though the human rights set are complaining about the fact he possibly didn't have a fair trial :icon_rolleyes:
[/quote]

He didn't have a fair trial. Several defence lawyers were killed, others threatened, one judge dismissed for being too impartial, trial held while the country is under foreign occupation. There were so many things wrong with that trial. Even Saddam's hanging on the 1st day of Eid Al-Adtha which is traditionally a holiday for setting aside differences with others was in violation of Iraqi Law that forbids hangings during the festival.
Saddam really should have been handed over to the Hague for a proper, impartial, international trial like every other tyrant, dictator and rampant war criminal.
In the end, when you see he was handed over to Sadr militia for hanging, and they taunted him about the assassination he ordered of Moqtada Al-Sadr's father in law, it was really a revenge for that and not for the Dujail Massacre which I might add, the US had no problem with when they were arming him in his war against Iran.
Last edited by jafar00 on Mon Jan 08, 2007 6:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
I reject your reality and substitute my own

Lad
Global Moderator
Political Stand:

Post by Lad » Mon Jan 08, 2007 11:46 am

The US did use him true, but they never forgave him for entering Kuwait and they didn't like his threat to their oil supply. Anyway it wasn't the US at all that tried him it was Iraq. The US never ordered the death penalty, infact when they came to Iraq they abolished it I think. The government brought it back in. The trial was closely monitored by the US, but it was an Iraqi trial. Despite what may be pointed out as unfair on his part, the facts are so obvious. It would be like giving Hitler a trial. Purely academic. Everyone knew he was going to die way before the trial started as he was so obiously guilty of multiple murder and mass torture and IMHO he did very well to get the trial he got.

The really weird thing is that the Human Rights folks have documented for years hundreds of thousands of cases against him, but when it came to his trial and death they dropped all these hundreds of thousands of cases they believe as facts (evidence) against him to grapple at minor technicalities of law that wern't seen through to call the whole thing unfair etc. It's a bit silly really on their part.
Last edited by Lad on Mon Jan 08, 2007 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
War does not determine who is right, war determines who is left.

DodgeFB
Gifted Member
Political Stand:

Post by DodgeFB » Mon Jan 08, 2007 6:02 pm

I know people thought we were stealing their oil. But I never saw any of it. Our oil prices more than doubled here. :sad: I am old and sick. I could have used some cheap oil.Image

Lass
Global Moderator
Political Stand:

Post by Lass » Tue Jan 09, 2007 1:21 am

[quote=DodgeFB]
I know people thought we were stealing their oil. But I never saw any of it. Our oil prices more than doubled here. :sad: I am old and sick. I could have used some cheap oil.Image
[/quote]

Lol ... aww, poor Dodge! Image

At least your oil was cheap before; ours has always been sooo pricey. All right for those of us that don't drive. :P Ahhh, how beautifully off-topic ... back to my law books ... I hate exams. Image
Above all, I would teach him to tell the truth ... Truth-telling, I have found, is the key to responsible citizenship. The thousands of criminals I have seen in 40 years of law enforcement have had one thing in common: Every single one was a liar. [JE Hoover]

DodgeFB
Gifted Member
Political Stand:

Post by DodgeFB » Tue Jan 09, 2007 1:49 am

Just wanted everyone to know that Saddam did not die so I could drive a gas hog truck. Image

jafar00
Political Stand:

Post by jafar00 » Tue Jan 09, 2007 6:49 am

[quote=DodgeFB]
Just wanted everyone to know that Saddam did not die so I could drive a gas hog truck. Image
[/quote]

Yeah, only the Israelis will get benefit there. They are building an oil pipeline to Haifa :sad:
That said, the Iraqi puppets in power are about to enact a new oil law drawn up by the US which will for the first time since the 1972 nationalisation, allow foreign companies the likes of Exxon Mobil, BP, Shell etc.. to take ownership of Iraqi oil fields away from Iraqi companies. This is Bush's true "victory" in the War of Lies. Getting his stinky paws on cheap and plentiful Iraqi Oil.
Last edited by jafar00 on Tue Jan 09, 2007 7:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
I reject your reality and substitute my own