Full Saddam Execution Video Leaked from Cellphone

Discuss Middle East Politics here.
User avatar
DodgeFB
Gifted Member
Posts: 785
Joined: Fri Jun 16, 2006 12:31 am
Political Stand:

RE: Full Saddam Execution Video Leaked from Cellphone

Post by DodgeFB » Wed Jan 03, 2007 6:00 pm

[quote=Lass]
Hmm interesting. I kinda doubt there's a law against filming executions. ;) I assume it was officially filmed anyway, but that only part of the official footage was released. So all the guy who leaked it has done is just that, leaked it. The people that did the taunting will be worse off. Weird priorities though ... aren't there more important things going on in Iraq?
[/quote]
Seems there was not to be any cell phones or "unofficial" cameras there. So they look at this as a breech of security. Or that is what one of the talking heads said on TV this morning.
The opinions expressed are solely of the writer.


"You can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." - Immanuel Kant

User avatar
appleton
Technical Administrator
Posts: 1209
Joined: Tue Jun 06, 2006 3:07 pm
Location: London, UK
Political Stand: Liberal
Contact:

RE: Full Saddam Execution Video Leaked from Cellphone

Post by appleton » Wed Jan 03, 2007 6:43 pm

As I see it everything needs to be taken very seriously in Iraq. Even seemingly minor incidents.
"Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence, are usually the slaves of some defunct economist. Madmen in authority, who hear voices in the air, are distilling their frenzy from some academic scribbler of a few years back" - John Maynard Keynes

User avatar
DodgeFB
Gifted Member
Posts: 785
Joined: Fri Jun 16, 2006 12:31 am
Political Stand:

RE: Full Saddam Execution Video Leaked from Cellphone

Post by DodgeFB » Wed Jan 03, 2007 6:48 pm

[quote=matt]
As I see it everything needs to be taken very seriously in Iraq. Even seemingly minor incidents.
[/quote]
Not many people there have a sense of humor. :sad:
The opinions expressed are solely of the writer.


"You can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." - Immanuel Kant

Romulus111VADT
Gifted Member
Posts: 487
Joined: Thu Nov 02, 2006 11:51 pm
Political Stand:

RE: Full Saddam Execution Video Leaked from Cellphone

Post by Romulus111VADT » Wed Jan 03, 2007 6:53 pm

The culture is based on "Honor" and "Revenge". If a mans honor is diminished by someone. He is honor bound to seek revenge to restore his honor. So even the most insignificant offenses can be viewed as insulting the persons honor. In the even of a death, the honor is now the families to protect. If your father is murdered, you are honor bound to murder the father of the family member that killed your father. Then they must turn around and murder the oldest son and so on and so forth. The cycle of revenge once started can go on until entire families and all their relatives have been killed. It can even carry over to friends of the family and continue until entire villages are killed.

I mean look at what started it all. A Shiite Mosque was bombed. Then the Shiite's bombed a Sunni Mosque. It has now spiraled out of control and won't stop until quite literally everyone is dead.

Lass
Global Moderator
Posts: 451
Joined: Wed Jun 28, 2006 11:46 pm
Location: UK
Political Stand:

RE: Full Saddam Execution Video Leaked from Cellphone

Post by Lass » Wed Jan 03, 2007 7:06 pm

[quote=Romulus111VADT]
It has now spiraled out of control and won't stop until quite literally everyone is dead.
[/quote]

Forcing democracy on those kind of people isn't going to help much, I'm afraid. They feel security in totalitarianism and dictatorship, not free speech and all what we westerners hold dear.

But surely, some people, somewhere in that war-torn, stricken country, there are people, just genuine, innocent people, who want peace - that is, peace by talks and agreements, rather than 'peace' by annihilation of the other players in the conflict... I hope so.
Above all, I would teach him to tell the truth ... Truth-telling, I have found, is the key to responsible citizenship. The thousands of criminals I have seen in 40 years of law enforcement have had one thing in common: Every single one was a liar. [JE Hoover]

User avatar
DodgeFB
Gifted Member
Posts: 785
Joined: Fri Jun 16, 2006 12:31 am
Political Stand:

RE: Full Saddam Execution Video Leaked from Cellphone

Post by DodgeFB » Wed Jan 03, 2007 7:32 pm

I am not sure there are enough "innocent people who want peace" to change things there.
The opinions expressed are solely of the writer.


"You can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." - Immanuel Kant

Romulus111VADT
Gifted Member
Posts: 487
Joined: Thu Nov 02, 2006 11:51 pm
Political Stand:

RE: Full Saddam Execution Video Leaked from Cellphone

Post by Romulus111VADT » Wed Jan 03, 2007 8:24 pm

Most of the people want peace. What makes it impossible is simply that 50% of them are so scared that they do nothing to deter the insurgents. Of the other 50%, maybe 25% try something to deter, but fail and are slaughtered by the insurgents and this further scares the 50%. Of the 25% that are left 15% will fight to the death to defend their beliefs. That leaves only 10% that are causing all the fear of the other 90%. A very small minority are the route cause of most of the Iraqi's problems. But the majority sit and do/say nothing (sound familiar?).

It is sad when a people get slaughtered like sheep and do nothing. I mean darn, if you know your going to die anyway. Go down fighting like a madman. Make them pay dearly for your life. There's ALWAYS the possibility you will prevail!

User avatar
DodgeFB
Gifted Member
Posts: 785
Joined: Fri Jun 16, 2006 12:31 am
Political Stand:

RE: Full Saddam Execution Video Leaked from Cellphone

Post by DodgeFB » Wed Jan 03, 2007 9:02 pm

It is a shame so many brave people have to die waiting for them to grow some "backbone". :sad:
The opinions expressed are solely of the writer.


"You can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." - Immanuel Kant

User avatar
appleton
Technical Administrator
Posts: 1209
Joined: Tue Jun 06, 2006 3:07 pm
Location: London, UK
Political Stand: Liberal
Contact:

RE: Full Saddam Execution Video Leaked from Cellphone

Post by appleton » Wed Jan 03, 2007 9:02 pm

Most of the people want peace. What makes it impossible is simply that 50% of them are so scared that they do nothing to deter the insurgents. Of the other 50%, maybe 25% try something to deter, but fail and are slaughtered by the insurgents and this further scares the 50%. Of the 25% that are left 15% will fight to the death to defend their beliefs. That leaves only 10% that are causing all the fear of the other 90%. A very small minority are the route cause of most of the Iraqi's problems. But the majority sit and do/say nothing (sound familiar?).
Sound correct. A lot of people are in fear. Fear for their lives so they do nothing. The minority that are causing the problems need to be removed so the genuine peace loving Iraqi's can build their country.
Forcing democracy on those kind of people isn't going to help much, I'm afraid. They feel security in totalitarianism and dictatorship, not free speech and all what we westerners hold dear.
There is a lot of news running around about university students in both Iran and Iraq who support free speech and democracy (BBC isn't reporting this though ;) ).

Not everyone wants dictatorship. Not everyone wants democracy (mainly those with political ties to a undemocratic party). But we shouldn't generalise. It's hard to see the real facts when we are sitting at home in our nice comfy spinny chairs :P
"Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence, are usually the slaves of some defunct economist. Madmen in authority, who hear voices in the air, are distilling their frenzy from some academic scribbler of a few years back" - John Maynard Keynes

User avatar
DodgeFB
Gifted Member
Posts: 785
Joined: Fri Jun 16, 2006 12:31 am
Political Stand:

RE: Full Saddam Execution Video Leaked from Cellphone

Post by DodgeFB » Wed Jan 03, 2007 9:05 pm

Hey! How did you know I was in a nice "comfy spinny" chair? :tongue:
The opinions expressed are solely of the writer.


"You can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." - Immanuel Kant

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest