Discuss Middle East Politics here.
appleton
Technical Administrator
Political Stand: Liberal

RE: Full Saddam Execution Video Leaked from Cellphone

Post by appleton » Wed Jan 03, 2007 9:07 pm

I generalised :tongue:

I'm in one too! :cool:
"Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence, are usually the slaves of some defunct economist. Madmen in authority, who hear voices in the air, are distilling their frenzy from some academic scribbler of a few years back" - John Maynard Keynes

DodgeFB
Gifted Member
Political Stand:

Post by DodgeFB » Wed Jan 03, 2007 9:10 pm

[quote=matt]

[/quote]
You said,"But we shouldn't generalise"
The opinions expressed are solely of the writer.

"You can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." - Immanuel Kant

Romulus111VADT
Gifted Member
Political Stand:

Post by Romulus111VADT » Wed Jan 03, 2007 9:37 pm

The biggest problem in Iraq is the various religious factions. There are Sunni's (majority), Shiite's (Minority) and Kurds (Extreme Minority). None of them agree on anything. The Kurds want the northern territories because it has oil fields. The Shiite's want the southern territories because of the oil wealth there. The Sunni areas are for the most part, oil starved and they wouldn't have an income. So they want All the areas that produce oil and leave the others out of the economic wealth of oil production. This is one of the reasons that Saddam attacked Kuwait. To obtain their oil fields for the Sunni's. It all boils down to greed and their inability to share the wealth of their nation among themselves equally.

Iran has been eying the Iraqi oil fields for years and the Saudis would love to add them to their coffers as well.

If you stop and think about it. The culture in these countries is based on the "eye for an eye" belief. Even the Israelis hold this belief. We Westerners use the, "turn the other cheek" belief and this to the middle Easterners seems foreign and down right weird. What we find barbaric, they find normal. They will cut off a mans hand if he steals. We slap them on the wrist and tell them not to do it again. They behead criminals and we find the practice horrific. They say, what's the difference, death is death and at least we don't turn the guy into a crispy critter or pump him full of drugs to kill him.

One interesting note about middle Eastern beliefs. They are absolutely terrified of pigs. Some units in the German military of WWII use to soak their bullets in pigs blood. The thought of death wasn't the horror for middle Easterners. It was the thought of being shot with a bullet soaked in pigs blood and the threat of being buried in pig crap that absolutely terrified them.

appleton
Technical Administrator

Post by appleton » Wed Jan 03, 2007 9:55 pm

[quote=DodgeFB]
[quote=matt]

[/quote]
You said,"But we shouldn't generalise"
[/quote]

I know, Hence the :P smilie :)

Edit: Good post there Rom. I know they have a fear of pigs though. I think they believe it's a dirty animal and do not want to be associated with it. Some of us would say Israeli's don't hold this belief though because they [sarcasm]can do no wrong. [/sarcasm]
Last edited by appleton on Wed Jan 03, 2007 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence, are usually the slaves of some defunct economist. Madmen in authority, who hear voices in the air, are distilling their frenzy from some academic scribbler of a few years back" - John Maynard Keynes

Lad
Global Moderator
Political Stand:

Post by Lad » Wed Jan 03, 2007 10:05 pm

One must also remember that much of the present violence is coming from foreign insurgents that want to destablise Iraq. They aren't there to get the US troops, but there to get Iraqis. If US troops left Iranian insurgents would still pour in to kill their neighbours. They haven't forgotten the 1million lives lost in the Iraq-Iran war a couple of decades ago. They see this as their chance. The recent figures show that more than 12,000 civilians died this year in Iraq. These were figures from October.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/middle ... 525412.stm

But compare this with:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/co ... 01442.html
A team of American and Iraqi epidemiologists estimates that 655,000 more people have died in Iraq since coalition forces arrived in March 2003 than would have died if the invasion had not occurred.
War does not determine who is right, war determines who is left.

Lass
Global Moderator
Political Stand:

Post by Lass » Wed Jan 03, 2007 10:10 pm

[quote=Romulus111VADT]
One interesting note about middle Eastern beliefs. They are absolutely terrified of pigs. Some units in the German military of WWII use to soak their bullets in pigs blood. The thought of death wasn't the horror for middle Easterners. It was the thought of being shot with a bullet soaked in pigs blood and the threat of being buried in pig crap that absolutely terrified them.
[/quote]

I really LOL'd at that bit. ;) Somehow it just tickles. :icon_mrgreen:
Above all, I would teach him to tell the truth ... Truth-telling, I have found, is the key to responsible citizenship. The thousands of criminals I have seen in 40 years of law enforcement have had one thing in common: Every single one was a liar. [JE Hoover]

Lad
Global Moderator
Political Stand:

Post by Lad » Wed Jan 03, 2007 10:12 pm

I have a girl from Qatar in my class at uni - she abhors "swine". It's used alongside otherwords to describe someone she has a problem with. Funny idea, as a pig blood is no different to cow/lamb blood and once cooked all are just as edible as the other. I guess it is just forbidden by Islam, but we mustn't go there of course. ;) :)
War does not determine who is right, war determines who is left.

appleton
Technical Administrator

Post by appleton » Wed Jan 03, 2007 10:18 pm

Lad wrote: One must also remember that much of the present violence is coming from foreign insurgents that want to destablise Iraq. They aren't there to get the US troops, but there to get Iraqis. If US troops left Iranian insurgents would still pour in to kill their neighbours. They haven't forgotten the 1million lives lost in the Iraq-Iran war a couple of decades ago. They see this as their chance. The recent figures show that more than 12,000 civilians died this year in Iraq. These were figures from October.

But compare this with:

A team of American and Iraqi epidemiologists estimates that 655,000 more people have died in Iraq since coalition forces arrived in March 2003 than would have died if the invasion had not occurred.
Interesting info there Ben. With outside militants wanting to destroy what Iraq is building. This shows just what a tough job keeping Iraq free from those that want to destroy it. There is trouble for Iraq left, right and centre.

DodgeFB
Gifted Member
Political Stand:

Post by DodgeFB » Fri Jan 05, 2007 6:11 pm

matt wrote:
Lad wrote: One must also remember that much of the present violence is coming from foreign insurgents that want to destablise Iraq. They aren't there to get the US troops, but there to get Iraqis. If US troops left Iranian insurgents would still pour in to kill their neighbours. They haven't forgotten the 1million lives lost in the Iraq-Iran war a couple of decades ago. They see this as their chance. The recent figures show that more than 12,000 civilians died this year in Iraq. These were figures from October.

But compare this with:

There is trouble for Iraq left, right and centre.
And it seems our soldiers will be right in front of it all for a long time. :sad:
The opinions expressed are solely of the writer.

"You can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." - Immanuel Kant

Romulus111VADT
Gifted Member
Political Stand:

Post by Romulus111VADT » Fri Jan 05, 2007 6:35 pm

[quote=matt]
Edit: Good post there Rom. I know they have a fear of pigs though. I think they believe it's a dirty animal and do not want to be associated with it. Some of us would say Israeli's don't hold this belief though because they [sarcasm]can do no wrong. [/sarcasm]
[/quote]

Both Jews and Muslims loath swine. Both religions say that swine are "Unclean Animals". I imagine the pigs daily habits have lead to allot of this thinking. Wallowing in mud isn't the cleanest thing to do. But one positive about pigs/swine, they always pick one corner of a pen for their latrine/loo area. They won't eat if there is any sort of waste materials near their food. So they can't be all bad..... ;)

I bet ole Porky Pig must seem like ole Freddy Kruger to Muslims....[attachment=90]