Iran invites inspections of it's Nuclear Facilities in a show of openness.

Discuss Middle East Politics here.
jafar00
Political Stand:

Iran invites inspections of it's Nuclear Facilities in a show of openness.

Post by jafar00 » Thu Jan 18, 2007 8:18 pm

I reject your reality and substitute my own

appleton
Technical Administrator
Political Stand: Liberal

RE: Iran invites inspections of it's Nuclear Facilities in a show of openness.

Post by appleton » Thu Jan 18, 2007 8:52 pm

I don't fully understand the article?? 77 Nations... who are these nations??

Egyptian, Cuban and Malaysian ... hmmm
"Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence, are usually the slaves of some defunct economist. Madmen in authority, who hear voices in the air, are distilling their frenzy from some academic scribbler of a few years back" - John Maynard Keynes

jafar00
Political Stand:

Post by jafar00 » Fri Jan 19, 2007 8:55 am

"the Non-Aligned Movement of developing nations attached to the IAEA, and heads of the larger Group of 77 states and of the Arab League office in Vienna, to visit early next month"

"Among those in the visiting delegation would be the Egyptian, Cuban and Malaysian ambassadors to the IAEA"

So pretty much everyone except the US who continue to refuse to talk about it.

Lad
Global Moderator
Political Stand:

Post by Lad » Fri Jan 19, 2007 3:20 pm

If the Iranians have such a problem with the US lets use Australians, Europeans etc. Not countries like Egypt. They should be given unlimited access.
War does not determine who is right, war determines who is left.

jafar00
Political Stand:

Post by jafar00 » Sat Jan 20, 2007 8:31 am

[quote=Lad]
If the Iranians have such a problem with the US lets use Australians, Europeans etc. Not countries like Egypt. They should be given unlimited access.
[/quote]

Are you suggesting somehow that Europeans are superior to Arabs? :icon_eek:

Whats wrong with the Egyptians? Or the Malaysians? Or any of the "77 states" or other Arab league members?

Australia wouldn't be invited because they are unimportant in world politics. Little Johnny Howard likes to stand with the US so he can feel all important, but just comes out looking even more of a puppy dog on a leash than Tony Bliar does.

I don't know who is in the "77 states" but I'm sure it includes the European nations that aren't standing with Bush in ignoring Iranian offers of talks.
The US policy is to use diplomacy as a reward for being a good little doggy and stopping Uranium Enrichment before talks are even considered.

The current policy off cutting off Iran, imposing sanctions, and threatening them with being bombed only makes the situation worse as Iran will just withdraw and refuse to cooperate until they are treated with a little respect.

Remember Ahmedinejad challenged Bush to a television debate about world issues, but Bush declined. I think such a debate would be a great opportunity for both sides to engage each other in honest and open debate about the differences between them and perhaps even find some common ground between them so the differences can be worked out and we can all live in peace.

You know what I think is the root of the problem here? Ahmedinejad had the nerve to criticise Israel and the Zionists. People get put in jail or worse for doing the same in a lot of countries and are accused of being anti-semites if they even mutter a lightly critical word against the Israelis in public. Whatever happened to free speech??
Last edited by jafar00 on Sat Jan 20, 2007 8:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Luke
Political Stand:

Post by Luke » Sat Jan 20, 2007 4:39 pm

Show of openness is just that, a "show" of openness. Iran is working toward nuclear weaponry, that's obvious. It's following the pattern of many other nations who have developed nukes - act completely open and innocent and let a whole bunch of folks in for a big ol' tour while steadily researching in hidden places that nobody sees the secrets of nuclear weapons. When the first test in Iranian soil shakes the earth, it will be another omen of the blindness of those who put their faith in the stealthy ways of Middle Eastern nations and not in those who look at the history of other nuclear nations and see a mirror of Iran. "If we do not learn history, we are doomed to repeat it."
"I invented the Internet." - Al Gore

Lad
Global Moderator
Political Stand:

Post by Lad » Sat Jan 20, 2007 5:25 pm

It would be simple. They would simply show them all that they want to show them. They won't show them the things that they don't want to. Inspections must not be on Iranian terms.
War does not determine who is right, war determines who is left.

jafar00
Political Stand:

Post by jafar00 » Sat Jan 20, 2007 10:08 pm

Under the terms of the Nuclear Non Proliferation treaty which they signed, many of the inspections they have had by the IAEA have been more in depth than is required of them. They have also volunteered to extra restrictions and inspections over and above the requirements of the NPT.
Threats only cause them to withdraw their non contractual obligations and make more things totally secret again.
To me it is not obvious they are planning a nuclear weapon. There is no proof.
Anyway, if they do end up getting one it can only be in response to constant threats of attack from Israel and the US and be used as a deterrent.