Israel to withdraw all troops by weekend

Discuss Middle East Politics here.
appleton
Technical Administrator
Political Stand: Liberal

RE: Israel to withdraw all troops by weekend

Post by appleton » Fri Sep 22, 2006 11:46 pm

I am pretty sure the war in Iraq was not over terrorism. Saddam actually found al queda and the other terrorist groups a threat to his regime.

I guess it comes back to the old smelling oil thing again!
"Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence, are usually the slaves of some defunct economist. Madmen in authority, who hear voices in the air, are distilling their frenzy from some academic scribbler of a few years back" - John Maynard Keynes

DodgeFB
Gifted Member
Political Stand:

Post by DodgeFB » Fri Sep 22, 2006 11:54 pm

[quote=matt]
I am pretty sure the war in Iraq was not over terrorism. Saddam actually found al queda and the other terrorist groups a threat to his regime.

I guess it comes back to the old smelling oil thing again!
[/quote]

I don't know what they are doing with that oil. The people here sure are not getting any benefit from it. We as well as UK are paying a high price in blood and money.:x
The opinions expressed are solely of the writer.

"You can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." - Immanuel Kant

appleton
Technical Administrator
Political Stand: Liberal

Post by appleton » Sat Sep 23, 2006 12:13 am

Heh, It's probably lining someones pockets.
"Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence, are usually the slaves of some defunct economist. Madmen in authority, who hear voices in the air, are distilling their frenzy from some academic scribbler of a few years back" - John Maynard Keynes

Lad
Global Moderator
Political Stand:

Post by Lad » Sat Sep 23, 2006 12:15 am

That may be true Dodge - but look at it in the long run. The US and the UK have now got a supply of oil at a price. Before everything was very uncertain. It is possible that the countries could have got together and stopped exporting oil to the US and instead held it back and put the price up for others to compensate. The US whatever it has lost in men has gained a lot by securing oil for the future. Having done economics I really appreciate how oil is so crucial to an economy and how terrrific the consequences can be of just a threat of a reduction in oil, forget an actual reduction.
If oil was stopped from being exported to the US it would cease to be a superpower overnight. Quite frightening really, when all the countries that hold this oil-power are the US's greatest enemies.
War does not determine who is right, war determines who is left.