U.S. must end occupation

Discuss Middle East Politics here.

Moderators: Lass, Lad

DodgeFB
Gifted Member
Political Stand:

U.S. must end occupation

Post by DodgeFB »

Do you agree or disagree with this article?

Yahoo! News
U.S. must end occupation

By Jim McGovernThu Sep 21, 6:17 AM ET

The war in Iraq was a mistake, and the U.S. military occupation there must end.

From the deceitful and shifting rationales for war, to Bush officials forbidding our generals from making meaningful post-invasion plans, the policies pursued in Iraq have failed and have forced our brave troops to carry out a dangerous and often untenable mission.

The war in Iraq is distinct from the global war against terrorism. Because of Iraq, U.S. standing is at its lowest point ever, making us more isolated and vulnerable in an increasingly dangerous world.

Nearly 2,700 of our uniformed men and women have sacrificed their lives. More than 20,000 have been wounded, and tens of thousands of Iraqi civilians have been killed in a vicious and escalating cycle of sectarian violence. Billions of taxpayer dollars have been wasted. Every day the civil war gets worse, not better.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/usatoday/200609 ... occupation
Last edited by DodgeFB on Thu Sep 21, 2006 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The opinions expressed are solely of the writer.

"You can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." - Immanuel Kant

Lad
Global Moderator
Political Stand:

RE: U.S. must end occupation

Post by Lad »

The facts are correct, but if you make a mess you clear it up and you don't leave until the place is tidy. That's how I feel about Iraq. I want them out ASAP, but seeing we made it a tip, we are morally responsible to ensure it is left as a home for people to live in.
War does not determine who is right, war determines who is left.

DodgeFB
Gifted Member
Political Stand:

Post by DodgeFB »

[quote=Lad]
The facts are correct, but if you make a mess you clear it up and you don't leave until the place is tidy. That's how I feel about Iraq. I want them out ASAP, but seeing we made it a tip, we are morally responsible to ensure it is left as a home for people to live in.
[/quote]

Agreed. I think we will have to put more boots on the ground to do that. And we need to go at it to win and get out. This just holding out while Iraq gets it's ducks in a row can not go on forever.

Lad
Global Moderator
Political Stand:

Post by Lad »

The problem is the more we seem to do the more resistance there is! Terrorist attacks, secretarian attacks, criminal gangs are at unprecedented levels. I can't see this ending for many years.

Lass
Global Moderator
Political Stand:

Post by Lass »

I'd love to see all troops out. The other week we had so many UK soldiers killed in Afghanistan and Iraq... But when I think about it logically, I come to the conclusion that they've got to stay. At least as long as our government is in power, as it was that government who put them in. Even after that, we probably owe these other societies some kind of tidying up.

Oh, and the US soldiers are apparently killed so often that we never hear of it on this side of the pond. :(
Above all, I would teach him to tell the truth ... Truth-telling, I have found, is the key to responsible citizenship. The thousands of criminals I have seen in 40 years of law enforcement have had one thing in common: Every single one was a liar. [JE Hoover]

appleton
Technical Administrator
Political Stand: Liberal

Post by appleton »

This won't end for many years. We never had seen any proof that we needed to enter afghanistan anyway. Well now since we started. We have to finish it. Thousands of afghans, Iraqi's, americans and british are dying because of the conflict.

I agree with Lass we need to finish this and tidy up (which will be a very tough thing to do).

Matt :)
"Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence, are usually the slaves of some defunct economist. Madmen in authority, who hear voices in the air, are distilling their frenzy from some academic scribbler of a few years back" - John Maynard Keynes

DodgeFB
Gifted Member
Political Stand:

Post by DodgeFB »

[quote=Lass]
I'd love to see all troops out. The other week we had so many UK soldiers killed in Afghanistan and Iraq... But when I think about it logically, I come to the conclusion that they've got to stay. At least as long as our government is in power, as it was that government who put them in. Even after that, we probably owe these other societies some kind of tidying up.

Oh, and the US soldiers are apparently killed so often that we never hear of it on this side of the pond. :(
[/quote]

The US soldiers are getting killed about everyday. They just said on the news they are streched so thin the training has been cut in half. A third of our National Guard is now there. And that will now be increased. Some of our guys have been over there 3 times already. :(

Lass
Global Moderator
Political Stand:

Post by Lass »

They should *never* cut training if they can help it... that only means more will be killed in the long run... Where's the wisdom in it?
Above all, I would teach him to tell the truth ... Truth-telling, I have found, is the key to responsible citizenship. The thousands of criminals I have seen in 40 years of law enforcement have had one thing in common: Every single one was a liar. [JE Hoover]

Lad
Global Moderator
Political Stand:

Post by Lad »

For every US soldier killed in enemy action multiply by three the total that will die over the next 20 years to suicide. If over 3,000 soldiers have died (not sure on the figure) then nearly 10,000 will die to suicide. My predicition anyway.

DodgeFB
Gifted Member
Political Stand:

Post by DodgeFB »

[quote=Lass]
They should *never* cut training if they can help it... that only means more will be killed in the long run... Where's the wisdom in it?
[/quote]

wisdom? That goes out the window when your president wants to be the big bull of the woods.:?