Discuss Middle East Politics here.

Moderators: Lass, Lad

Lass
Global Moderator
Political Stand:

RE: U.S. must end occupation

Post by Lass »

[quote=DodgeFB]
wisdom? That goes out the window when your president wants to be the big bull of the woods.:?
[/quote]

Doesn't GWB have to run it pass Congress/whatever else he has to run things by? (I ought to know about US politics, but A Levels only take you as far as EU - not quite stretching to the US!)
Above all, I would teach him to tell the truth ... Truth-telling, I have found, is the key to responsible citizenship. The thousands of criminals I have seen in 40 years of law enforcement have had one thing in common: Every single one was a liar. [JE Hoover]

DodgeFB
Gifted Member
Political Stand:

Post by DodgeFB »

[quote=Lass]
[quote=DodgeFB]
wisdom? That goes out the window when your president wants to be the big bull of the woods.:?
[/quote]

Doesn't GWB have to run it pass Congress/whatever else he has to run things by? (I ought to know about US politics, but A Levels only take you as far as EU - not quite stretching to the US!)
[/quote]

Senate/Republican Majority

Congress/Republican Majority

President/Republican

That equals power.
The opinions expressed are solely of the writer.

"You can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." - Immanuel Kant

Lass
Global Moderator
Political Stand:

Post by Lass »

Ah right! And I thought the US political system was arranged so that couldn't happen very easily. Well, I guess they are the politicians democratically elected by the people. (And, no, I don't believe in the tales of rigged elections...)
Above all, I would teach him to tell the truth ... Truth-telling, I have found, is the key to responsible citizenship. The thousands of criminals I have seen in 40 years of law enforcement have had one thing in common: Every single one was a liar. [JE Hoover]

DodgeFB
Gifted Member
Political Stand:

Post by DodgeFB »

[quote=Lass]
Ah right! And I thought the US political system was arranged so that couldn't happen very easily. Well, I guess they are the politicians democratically elected by the people. (And, no, I don't believe in the tales of rigged elections...)
[/quote]

I don't think they are rigged. But there is GERRYMANDERING.

What is the purpose of gerrymandering?
The purpose of gerrymandering is to either concentrate opposition votes into a few districts to gain more seats for the majority in surrounding districts (called packing), or to diffuse minority strength across many districts (called dilution).

They must all like it, they never do anything about it.:?

appleton
Technical Administrator
Political Stand: Liberal

Post by appleton »

[quote=Guest]
Yes they should end the occupation as soon as they clean the mess they start as best as possible. they tottally fucked up the country man.

Now they have to finishde the job and make the country safe. so many iraqi civilians and solidgers have died for this worthless cause. First it was to remove saddams wmd now its suddenly become a mission to bring democracry. people also need to lear to stop shoving their own beliefs down the rest of the throat.

thoughts?
[/quote]

To a extent I agree but I would prefer if you got your message across in less of a aggressive tone. Feel free to join up too!

What does the U.S have to say about why they are constantly changing the reasons they are in Iraq?

What is it really for? To spread our democratic ways to other countries?

I don't really see a reason why the Iraq war happened at all to be honest. There are other dictatorships around the world and.. before anyone starts Saddam didn't actually have anything to do with 911!

Discuss :)
"Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence, are usually the slaves of some defunct economist. Madmen in authority, who hear voices in the air, are distilling their frenzy from some academic scribbler of a few years back" - John Maynard Keynes

DodgeFB
Gifted Member
Political Stand:

Post by DodgeFB »

[quote=matt]
[quote=Guest]
Yes they should end the occupation as soon as they clean the mess they start as best as possible. they tottally fucked up the country man.

Now they have to finishde the job and make the country safe. so many iraqi civilians and solidgers have died for this worthless cause. First it was to remove saddams wmd now its suddenly become a mission to bring democracry. people also need to lear to stop shoving their own beliefs down the rest of the throat.

thoughts?
[/quote]

To a extent I agree but I would prefer if you got your message across in less of a aggressive tone. Feel free to join up too!

What does the U.S have to say about why they are constantly changing the reasons they are in Iraq?

What is it really for? To spread our democratic ways to other countries?

I don't really see a reason why the Iraq war happened at all to be honest. There are other dictatorships around the world and.. before anyone starts Saddam didn't actually have anything to do with 911!

Discuss :)
[/quote]

Many people in the US are asking those same questions. I doubt there will be many honest answers as long as we have this president. And maybe not then. I think the democrats will pick up several seats next month. And we know Bush is gone in two years. If the democrats gain control of congress Bush will not be able to do anything good or bad. And Bush will veto everything they send him to sign.

That is just this Americans opinion.

Lad
Global Moderator
Political Stand:

Post by Lad »

Hmmm - I think the Republicans are going to be out whatever happens. Interesting it is sort of done in a half and half way in the US system. We get ours done all in one go here. ;)
War does not determine who is right, war determines who is left.

DodgeFB
Gifted Member
Political Stand:

Post by DodgeFB »

[quote=Lad]
Hmmm - I think the Republicans are going to be out whatever happens. Interesting it is sort of done in a half and half way in the US system. We get ours done all in one go here. ;)
[/quote]
The Republicans did just what always happens when one party gets all the power here. They acted like the democrats are 2nd class citizens. I know because I am a Republican. The party in power likes to talk about having a "mandate" to change things.
The truth is the people wish they would make an honest effort to put the "party" aside and do what is best for our country. But that does not happen very often.

How does the "all in one go" work there?
Last edited by DodgeFB on Fri Oct 27, 2006 1:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Lad
Global Moderator
Political Stand:

Post by Lad »

Well what I meant was - nobody votes for Tony Blair to rule the country. If he loses his seat he'll have to give up being prime minister!
We have a first past the post system here whereby the country is split up into several hundred seats and whoever gets passed 321 (think its that figure) seats gets into power. The leader of the party becomes prime minister. However, it is theoretically possible or was possible for Tony Blair to have lost his seat at the last election and then Labour would have needed to vote a new leader. The reality is that PM's always have very safe seats. ;)
War does not determine who is right, war determines who is left.