Future of Lebanon?

Discuss Middle East Politics here.
appleton
Technical Administrator
Political Stand: Liberal

Future of Lebanon?

Post by appleton » Sun Apr 29, 2007 8:52 pm

After speeches from Hasan Nasrallah stating he plans to liberate Jerusalem and incorporate sharia law in Lebanon just what does the future hold for this nation?

A interesting speech from him is below

[youtube]j7dJTll12nY[/youtube]

Anyone following the politics from this region? Looks like hezbollah is still trying to protect Syria from when it had something to do with the Lebanese prime ministers death back in 2005.

Matt
Last edited by appleton on Sun Apr 29, 2007 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence, are usually the slaves of some defunct economist. Madmen in authority, who hear voices in the air, are distilling their frenzy from some academic scribbler of a few years back" - John Maynard Keynes

Lad
Global Moderator
Political Stand:

RE: Future of Lebanon?

Post by Lad » Mon Apr 30, 2007 10:48 pm

I don't know what to think about this region. It always was trouble, it is trouble and for a long while yet it will continue to be nothing but trouble. Hezbollah will be a power like Hamas in Palestine, but I don't believe either of them will get into Jerusalem. So long as Israel has US support they will stay in Israel.
War does not determine who is right, war determines who is left.

DodgeFB
Gifted Member
Political Stand:

Post by DodgeFB » Tue May 01, 2007 1:43 am

[quote=Lad]
I don't know what to think about this region. It always was trouble, it is trouble and for a long while yet it will continue to be nothing but trouble. Hezbollah will be a power like Hamas in Palestine, but I don't believe either of them will get into Jerusalem. So long as Israel has US support they will stay in Israel.
[/quote]

With the constant drain of resources I wonder what will happen when the day comes that "Uncle Sam's" pockets are empty and all our children have been crippled or killed in this silly effort to fix the world. We can't be the world's police, doctor, and grocery store forever. And we get the blame if anything anywhere goes wrong. I am getting tried of it. :sad:
The opinions expressed are solely of the writer.

"You can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." - Immanuel Kant

appleton
Technical Administrator
Political Stand: Liberal

Post by appleton » Thu May 03, 2007 11:48 pm

[quote=DodgeFB]
[quote=Lad]
[/quote]

With the constant drain of resources I wonder what will happen when the day comes that "Uncle Sam's" pockets are empty and all our children have been crippled or killed in this silly effort to fix the world. We can't be the world's police, doctor, and grocery store forever. And we get the blame if anything anywhere goes wrong. I am getting tried of it. :sad:
[/quote]

The UN needs to get stronger. In all ways. The UN does have its purpose. Last years Israeli-Hezbollah war came to a end with intervention from the UN.

It just can't face superpowers/big terrorist organizations and does too much talking no actual action. Most nations can just trample all over the UN now. I do believe that if some nations back down (letting them do the job of policing the world, It really isn't a nations job) and provide more support/troops to the UN this may help the situation. Not really sure though. The UN has always been a pretty weak force whoever was leading it. It only came to light in the recent years..
"Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence, are usually the slaves of some defunct economist. Madmen in authority, who hear voices in the air, are distilling their frenzy from some academic scribbler of a few years back" - John Maynard Keynes

DodgeFB
Gifted Member
Political Stand:

Post by DodgeFB » Fri May 04, 2007 12:13 am

Yes the UN is too weak to really push if it comes down to shove. Too much talk with too little action it seems to me too.

I saw "The Queen" getting off the plane in the US today. The men she had carrying her hats had more fight in them than the UN seems to have. They had to get another vehicle just to hold her hats!! :tongue: She had a truck load of hats! :tongue: :cool0012:
Last edited by DodgeFB on Fri May 04, 2007 12:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
The opinions expressed are solely of the writer.

"You can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." - Immanuel Kant

Lass
Global Moderator
Political Stand:

Post by Lass » Fri May 04, 2007 1:22 am

Lol! I didn't see the hats, but I sure saw the red carpet!! ;)
Above all, I would teach him to tell the truth ... Truth-telling, I have found, is the key to responsible citizenship. The thousands of criminals I have seen in 40 years of law enforcement have had one thing in common: Every single one was a liar. [JE Hoover]