It's fine to torture - survey finds of US troops

Discuss Middle East Politics here.
Lad
Global Moderator
Political Stand:

It's fine to torture - survey finds of US troops

Post by Lad » Sat May 05, 2007 12:04 am

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/middle ... 627055.stm
Not that accurate of course at only 1,700, but even still I was slightly surprised. Some disturbing finds there. However, I would take all this with a pinch of salt. I personally don't call rough treatment and handling torture. I don't agree that terrorists and murderers deserve the same respect and tender loving care as ordinary law abiding civilians.

I am extremely concerned about the mental health though of the troops. For every US soldier who died in Vietnam another has died through suicide and the same applies to the last Gulf War. I guess Rom would know of friends who have taken their lives. :( I hope the US can do more to provide the support needed for these vulnerable men as the article acknowledges whilst there is time. Men aren't hardy and tough like they say they are after war and muscles don't mean a thing when the mind is disturbed. I think we have better provisions in the UK for this sort of thing, thanks to the NHS and many easily accessable charitable organisations.
Last edited by Lad on Sat May 05, 2007 12:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
War does not determine who is right, war determines who is left.

DodgeFB
Gifted Member
Political Stand:

RE: It's fine to torture - survey finds of US troops

Post by DodgeFB » Sat May 05, 2007 12:45 am

We keep sending the same ones back to Iraq time after time. And they can not get out when their time is up. We are really abusing our soldiers in so many ways. :sad:
But when one of them goes off on someone the government acts like they are shocked. :undecided: :sad: We should be better than that as a country.
The opinions expressed are solely of the writer.

"You can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." - Immanuel Kant

Romulus111VADT
Gifted Member
Political Stand:

Post by Romulus111VADT » Sat May 05, 2007 1:51 am

[quote=DodgeFB]
We keep sending the same ones back to Iraq time after time. And they can not get out when their time is up. We are really abusing our soldiers in so many ways. :sad:
But when one of them goes off on someone the government acts like they are shocked. :undecided: :sad: We should be better than that as a country.
[/quote]

I agree, but don't lose sight of the fact that Iraq has and still does use torture. As does most nations, despite their fervent denials. Yes, even Britain does and so does the US. This has gone on in EVERY war that has EVER been fought since the dawn of time.

DodgeFB
Gifted Member
Political Stand:

Post by DodgeFB » Sat May 05, 2007 3:26 pm

[quote=Romulus111VADT]
[quote=DodgeFB]
[/quote]

I agree, but don't lose sight of the fact that Iraq has and still does use torture. As does most nations, despite their fervent denials. Yes, even Britain does and so does the US. This has gone on in EVERY war that has EVER been fought since the dawn of time.
[/quote]

I really don't care so much how our soldiers treat them. What I was talking about is how we treat our soldiers. I have always thought we need to fight just as dirty as they do. But we sure don't have to destroy our own soldiers and their families.

I hate to say it, but President Bush is turning this country over to the democrats. The way he keeps thumbing his nose at Americans just as he has others will send the Republicans home. And we will be stuck with the liberal agenda to deal with.
The opinions expressed are solely of the writer.

"You can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." - Immanuel Kant

appleton
Technical Administrator
Political Stand: Liberal

Post by appleton » Sun May 06, 2007 12:13 am

I think we have better provisions in the UK for this sort of thing, thanks to the NHS and many easily accessable charitable organisations.
You've got to be kidding me :)

I know someone who has come back from Iraq (A friends cousin). There has been no help for him. These organisations do exist and the NHS is great but they are far from being easily accessible unfortunately.
We keep sending the same ones back to Iraq time after time. And they can not get out when their time is up. We are really abusing our soldiers in so many ways.Sad
But when one of them goes off on someone the government acts like they are shocked. UndecidedSad We should be better than that as a country.
I agree. Same is happening here dodge. The government sure doesn't value our soldiers. They use them to fill their own needs. These very brave soldiers should be treated better. They come back and are often forgotten by the MOD or just left to suffer from the effects of what they been through.

This so called mistake of a war has killed plenty of our troops. Mistakes don't just happen. Mistakes on this size shouldn't happen. The government has control over peoples lives here and abroad. It's made errors it should pay for I am afraid.

As for torture. It doesn't scare me. Happens everywhere. As long as it doesn't happen to those that don't deserve the flogging their isn't much wrong is there?

Those parents who left their children alone in the Algarve deserve a flogging though :evilgrin0012: Image
"Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence, are usually the slaves of some defunct economist. Madmen in authority, who hear voices in the air, are distilling their frenzy from some academic scribbler of a few years back" - John Maynard Keynes

Romulus111VADT
Gifted Member
Political Stand:

Post by Romulus111VADT » Sun May 06, 2007 2:18 am

It seems that our governments are losing sight of a very common rule of leadership. One that the Caesar's learned along time ago.

You must be good to your military.
The military is your source of power.

If you lose the support of your military. You lose not only your authority, you lose you power and normally you lose your life and the lives of your family. Even resent history has shown this.

Bush is an idiot for the way he is treating his military. Especially when they are fighting and dieing to defend lies and his ego. Afghanistan was one thing and justified. Iraq was a totally different story and should have never been attacked for the reasons he gave. Especially when he knew the reasons were lies.

Lad
Global Moderator
Political Stand:

Post by Lad » Mon May 07, 2007 11:51 am

Well old Tony leaves the scene in just a few weeks and Bush will be out next year. I wonder what the next round of politicians will bring? Surely the world is ready for a bit of peace by now for a start...
War does not determine who is right, war determines who is left.