Lebanese Army Battles Militants

Discuss Middle East Politics here.
appleton
Technical Administrator
Political Stand: Liberal

Lebanese Army Battles Militants

Post by appleton » Tue May 22, 2007 7:36 pm

Artillery and machine gun fire echoed around a crowded Palestinian refugee camp Tuesday for a third straight day as the Lebanese government ordered the army to finish off Islamic militants holed up inside.

Angry Palestinians burned car tires in two other refugee camps in an ominous sign that the trouble could spread across Lebanon. The fighting between the Lebanese army and the al-Qaida inspired group Fatah Islam has raised fears of a backlash among the hundreds of thousands of Palestinians in Lebanon's other refugee camps, where Islamic extremists have been growing in influence.
http://abcnews.go.com/International/wir ... SFeeds0312

The forces are out to unbalance Lebanon once again. They also seek to destroy democracy. Unfortunately it only seems to be escalating. More civilians are dying. It seems as though Lebanon is being attacked from all fronts and I do believe the government will eventually fall. More turmoil for such a beautiful country :(
"Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence, are usually the slaves of some defunct economist. Madmen in authority, who hear voices in the air, are distilling their frenzy from some academic scribbler of a few years back" - John Maynard Keynes

Romulus111VADT
Gifted Member
Political Stand:

RE: Lebanese Army Battles Militants

Post by Romulus111VADT » Tue May 22, 2007 8:06 pm

It's about time these people started fighting their own battles with the extremists. Maybe if they'd cracked down on them from the start, they wouldn't be facing these battles now.

Luke
Political Stand:

Post by Luke » Tue May 22, 2007 10:57 pm

I don't see the point in burning car tires as an expression of anger......?
"I invented the Internet." - Al Gore

appleton
Technical Administrator

Post by appleton » Wed May 23, 2007 10:18 am

[quote=Romulus111VADT]It's about time these people started fighting their own battles with the extremists. Maybe if they'd cracked down on them from the start, they wouldn't be facing these battles now.[/quote]

There are too many extremists now. As far as I know they did cut down on them from the start. I guess they just aren't in the right position geographically :shocked:

[quote=Luke]
I don't see the point in burning car tires as an expression of anger......?
[/quote]

It ruins the roads and deposits usually thick toxic smoke. Tarmac gets destroyed when you burn car tires on it.

Matt :sign0201:
"Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence, are usually the slaves of some defunct economist. Madmen in authority, who hear voices in the air, are distilling their frenzy from some academic scribbler of a few years back" - John Maynard Keynes

Lad
Global Moderator
Political Stand:

Post by Lad » Wed May 23, 2007 12:45 pm

I see I never realised that. I thought it was just a useful container to make a lot of smoke just to block vision.

I hate to say it, but if we leave these extremist idiots to themselves they can murder each other to their hearts content. I'm quite happy with murderers bringing about their own doom. It's when they interfere with innocent law abiding citizens I have a problem.
They (the terrorists) have lost the plot in Lebanon and Palestine. They are supposed to be against Israel and the West - instead they are fighting the daylights out of each other and reducing the country to rubble. How dumb is that?
War does not determine who is right, war determines who is left.

DodgeFB
Gifted Member
Political Stand:

Post by DodgeFB » Wed May 23, 2007 6:19 pm

[quote=Lad]
I see I never realised that. I thought it was just a useful container to make a lot of smoke just to block vision.

I hate to say it, but if we leave these extremist idiots to themselves they can murder each other to their hearts content. I'm quite happy with murderers bringing about their own doom. It's when they interfere with innocent law abiding citizens I have a problem.
They (the terrorists) have lost the plot in Lebanon and Palestine. They are supposed to be against Israel and the West - instead they are fighting the daylights out of each other and reducing the country to rubble. How dumb is that?
[/quote]
Pretty damn dumb in my opinion. Kind of like if I burned my house because the neighbor's dog was barking. :rolleyes:
The opinions expressed are solely of the writer.

"You can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." - Immanuel Kant

appleton
Technical Administrator

Post by appleton » Wed May 23, 2007 6:42 pm

Most of the terrorists are funded and most likely from elsewhere. Syria and Iran have connections with some of these groups so I would assume they would be involved.

Luke
Political Stand:

Post by Luke » Thu May 24, 2007 3:58 am

Yeah, to them it's a foreign battlefield. They don't care if the country is trashed and innocent people killed as long as they get prime time for their "cause." :(
Last edited by Luke on Thu May 24, 2007 4:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I invented the Internet." - Al Gore

Lad
Global Moderator
Political Stand:

Post by Lad » Thu May 24, 2007 10:29 am

I'm not sure if the governments fund or support them directly, however they do at least indirectly in that they fail to suppress those that do in their country. Would be a bit like the UK allowing terrorists to operate and cause violence in France, but the UK government saying they had nothing to do with it and wasn't them. However, I do think other Arab countries governments are involved to a more or lesser degree in support terror directly.
War does not determine who is right, war determines who is left.