Australians are in Iraq for oil

Discuss Middle East Politics here.
Lad
Global Moderator
Political Stand:

Australians are in Iraq for oil

Post by Lad » Thu Jul 05, 2007 8:03 am

Yep, the government admitted it. 1 down a few more to go. I don't believe the UK or the US will admit that.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asia-p ... 272168.stm
War does not determine who is right, war determines who is left.

johnruddock
Political Stand:

RE: Australians are in Iraq for oil

Post by johnruddock » Thu Jul 05, 2007 10:54 am

[quote=Lad]
Yep, the government admitted it. 1 down a few more to go. I don't believe the UK or the US will admit that.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asia-p ... 272168.stm
[/quote]

But PM John Howard has played down the comments, saying it was "stretching it a bit" to conclude that Australia's Iraq involvement was motivated by oil.

appleton
Technical Administrator
Political Stand: Liberal

Post by appleton » Thu Jul 05, 2007 10:55 am

I don't think the US will admit to it. I'm not to sure with Gordon Brown yet but I know Tony certainly would never have.

Well, This just sheds bad light on everything and gives the terrorists more stupid excuses and reasons on why they should blow us up. At least they have the decency to tell the truth. Took a long time coming but we all knew it I suppose :P
"Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence, are usually the slaves of some defunct economist. Madmen in authority, who hear voices in the air, are distilling their frenzy from some academic scribbler of a few years back" - John Maynard Keynes

Luke
Political Stand:

Post by Luke » Fri Jul 13, 2007 2:30 pm

Guess we all knew it was coming. :( At this point I'm not sure whether Australia's announcement is a confession or a bad attempt to ease anti-war tensions. Note Brendan Nelson's comments: "Australians and all of us need to think what would happen if there were a premature withdrawal from Iraq."
"I invented the Internet." - Al Gore

appleton
Technical Administrator
Political Stand: Liberal

Post by appleton » Fri Jul 13, 2007 2:37 pm

At this point I'm not sure whether Australia's announcement is a confession or a bad attempt to ease anti-war tensions.
I can't see it as a attempt to ease anti-war tensions. If it ease they are completely going in the wrong direction.
"Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence, are usually the slaves of some defunct economist. Madmen in authority, who hear voices in the air, are distilling their frenzy from some academic scribbler of a few years back" - John Maynard Keynes

Luke
Political Stand:

Post by Luke » Fri Jul 13, 2007 3:35 pm

As I said, if it truly is an attempt to rationalize Australia's involvement in the eyes of her people, it's a very bad one. :tongue:
Last edited by Luke on Fri Jul 13, 2007 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I invented the Internet." - Al Gore

ford007
Political Stand:

Post by ford007 » Fri Jan 30, 2009 2:32 pm

Everyone is in Iraq for oil.

Face the facts:
US and it's cronies overthrew the only secular Arab Nation in Middle East and replaced it with hardcore Islamist rule under Muqtada Al Sadr and Nouri Al Maliki.

Reminds you anything?

Well at least for me this ignites the memory of US supported Mujahideen overthrowing the Russian supported secular Parchamite-Khalkh government of Mohammed Najibullah in Afghanistan and replacing it with Ultra-extremist Islamic govt. led by Gulbudeen Hekmatyar.

Also it reminds me of the 12,000 Serbian civilians bombed to death (the vast majority of them being women and children) by NATO in Kosovo for defending their historic homeland against KLA terrorists.

American idiots will never learn anything....
Enough of (ZA)Nu Labor. BNP is the only real alternative.

Niall_İsxaqov
Political Stand:

Post by Niall_İsxaqov » Sun Feb 01, 2009 2:30 pm

I don't think Australia is having any huge Petroleum deposits. So they need to get the Oil from somewhere else. Since they are not in Europe they won't be able to get the Russian, Kazakh and Norwegian oil. So the only option is to get it from the middle east.
Holy Russia will save the world

hanika
Political Stand:

Post by hanika » Mon Jun 22, 2009 6:21 pm

Traveling to Iran may seem to you as a bad idea, considering all the messages brought to us by the media and the political leaders, but the reality is that most of the world does not have the insight to what this country is really about. If you want to learn about the people in Iran and their rich culture, the changes that took place in Iranian history and lead to one global propaganda promoting only the negatives, you should read The Age of Nepotism by Vahid Razavi and try and see things from one liberating and positive angle. If we agree that truth is somewhere in the middle, then we should at least give ourselves a chance of not being biased and learn about what we fear, since fear itself is mostly caused by ignorance...You can also visit the site www.thegeofnepotism.com